Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    **I've attached pictures so hopefully they can demonstrate what I'm taking about, camera quality isn't too great though**
    So I installed a phantomskinz screen protector(gloss not matte) yesterday morning, left the TP off all day and overnight, and it still looks terrible. By terrible I mean that there are hundreds of vertical lines running the length of my touchpad screen(due to the screen protector being on), these lines make the screen really hazy and not sharp. Also, there are little pockets of idk what, most likely air I guess, that have recently started popping up, separating the screen from the protector slightly,which is making the screen feel uneven and bumpy. There is no moisture under the screen anymore which I can discern.

What's the deal? The install went fine, I've applied water based skins before on older devices and never had this problem(Skinomi and Zagg). Those installs also looked terrible initially but they cleared up fine overnight unlike the phantomskinz. I guess the skin did arrive slightly bent due to the mailing process, but nothing significant. After all, if the material can't take a slight bend how can I expect it to protect my screen!

Anyone have any experience with this problem? I'm actually kinda worried about taking this thing off, it better not damage my screen if I do!!

Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Complain to Phantom Skinz. That's not normal. I had one of their protectors on my Pre, and it was great (although it did take more than a day for all the little bubbles to work themselves out.) Once it was stable, it was completely clear, except for a tiny white patch in the very corner (off the screen part) where I had folded the material a little too sharply going around a bend.
    I've used Phantom Skinz on my Pre Plus and it looked great. Maybe because the TouchPad is a bigger device, it takes more time to start looking normal?
    Quote Originally Posted by jjchow245 View Post
    **I've attached pictures so hopefully they can demonstrate what I'm taking about, camera quality isn't too great though**
    So I installed a phantomskinz screen protector(gloss not matte) yesterday morning, left the TP off all day and overnight, and it still looks terrible. By terrible I mean that there are hundreds of vertical lines running the length of my touchpad screen(due to the screen protector being on), these lines make the screen really hazy and not sharp. Also, there are little pockets of idk what, most likely air I guess, that have recently started popping up, separating the screen from the protector slightly,which is making the screen feel uneven and bumpy. There is no moisture under the screen anymore which I can discern.

What's the deal? The install went fine, I've applied water based skins before on older devices and never had this problem(Skinomi and Zagg). Those installs also looked terrible initially but they cleared up fine overnight unlike the phantomskinz. I guess the skin did arrive slightly bent due to the mailing process, but nothing significant. After all, if the material can't take a slight bend how can I expect it to protect my screen!

Anyone have any experience with this problem? I'm actually kinda worried about taking this thing off, it better not damage my screen if I do!!

Thanks!
    That's exactly what happened to me! I thought it was because I did it wrong or something. Mine looked horrible on my TouchPad. My wife and I spent nearly two hours Sunday night applying the Phantom Skinz to the TP's screen. I also had the lines and it was super hazy. I ripped it off and threw it away on Tuesday and ordered some of the "cling" type of screen protectors off Ebay.

$15 straight down the drain...
    Did you get a red insert with your order? It looks like the CAP SHEET is still on your screen protector. I just got one for my iPad, and read the insert about the cap sheets. It's on there to protect your screen during installation (due to the large area that's covered on the tablet).

Simply separate the cap sheet at a corner by slowly separating the two films. It should reveal a glossy, beautiful PhantomSkinz.

Karla
    Man, I wish I would have known about your ordeal. The pictures in this thread look exactly like the cap sheet that was on my iPad before I took it off. It has vertical lines, and a matte finish. Your install may have been perfectly fine. :/

Karla
    Global Posts
    329 Global Posts
    That's definitely the cap sheet. I put my phantomskin on the other day and it had that sheet as well.
    I did find the cap sheet on mine. I took it off to reveal the glossy screen protector, but there was still a bunch of crap on the screen. I was so disappointed.
    I bought the PhantomSkinz screen for my TouchPad and it looks crystal clear... and I'm not an expert at putting them on or anything but that does look like the screen cap. Or get a replacement.
    Sprint Love
    Quote Originally Posted by speedtouch View Post
    I did find the cap sheet on mine. I took it off to reveal the glossy screen protector, but there was still a bunch of crap on the screen. I was so disappointed.
    Yeah, my iPad still has microbubbles that have yet to fade, and it's been almost a week. PS said it could take a while for them to disappear due to the large real estate that's being covered. I'll give it a few more days and will contact them if the screen doesn't clear up. The plus side is, the microbubbles don't interact with my screen at all when lit. It's still crystal clear, and you can't really find the bubbles unless you're looking for them.

My issue is...I have three dogs that shed horribly. No matter HOW MUCH I de-lint, scrub and prepare, I'm always left with a little reminder of my fur-kids under the screen protector. Le sigh....

Karla
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by soccerbudd View Post
    Did you get a red insert with your order? It looks like the CAP SHEET is still on your screen protector. I just got one for my iPad, and read the insert about the cap sheets. It's on there to protect your screen during installation (due to the large area that's covered on the tablet).

Simply separate the cap sheet at a corner by slowly separating the two films. It should reveal a glossy, beautiful PhantomSkinz.

Karla
    Well I feel dumb now lol . There was indeed a cap sheet(new to me), however there was no pull tab or indication that there was in fact a cap sheet. Luckily, I did not remove the skin, but rather decided to just wait another day, good thing I did. The skin looks a lot better now but it still has some small bubbles spread across the screen which from my past experiences, should disappear over time(fingers crossed!). And since I removed the cap sheet I was able to use the included squeegee to remove some of the larger bubbles(the squeegee works very well actually).

Thanks everyone!
    Yeah, my iPad still has microbubbles that have yet to fade, and it's been almost a week. PS said it could take a while for them to disappear due to the large real estate that's being covered. I'll give it a few more days and will contact them if the screen doesn't clear up. The plus side is, the microbubbles don't interact with my screen at all when lit. It's still crystal clear, and you can't really find the bubbles unless you're looking for them.

My issue is...I have three dogs that shed horribly. No matter HOW MUCH I de-lint, scrub and prepare, I'm always left with a little reminder of my fur-kids under the screen protector. Le sigh....

Karla
    Oh, well I already ripped it off and trashed it. I waited two days for the bubbles and crap to go away. When they didn't, I just got mad and ripped it off. Jeez.
  13.    #13  

Karla

Have you tried doing the install in a steamy bathroom? That's always worked well for me.

Thanks!
    Good evening everyone,

I wanted to take a moment to address this issue/improvement from PhantomSkinz. We made a decision this year to supply our Ultra Clear Screen Protectors for Large Devices with an added "Cap Sheet" installed so that we could try and avoid shipping damage and installation errors due to "Squeegee Burning".

Everyone ordering our Large Device Screen Protectors should be receiving the protector with the Cap Sheet installed. This addition will allow our customers to perform a better installation as once the protector is lined up, they can be much more aggressive with the squeegee when doing their installation and the surface of the protector will have never been exposed to dirt, debris, the atmosphere or anything until you remove it. Every order should have a RED instruction sheet included explaining the Cap Sheet.

So as has been brought to the attention of jjchow, the cap sheet is on the screen protector and needs to be removed. If you feel that we should change our instructions or wording on the enclosed RED sheet, please send us your suggestions. We hope that you will agree that PhantomSkinz with the included Cap Sheet is a dramatic improvement in Screen Protection, again distancing us from 'the crowd".

Thanks for your time, attention and comments.

Guru
    hi pantonskinz guru.
    I really liked my phantom on my pre 2 but isn't this stuff supposed to be military grade material? I didn't think a little squeeze could cause so much damage like burning?
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by PhantomSkinz Guru View Post
    Good evening everyone,

I wanted to take a moment to address this issue/improvement from PhantomSkinz. We made a decision this year to supply our Ultra Clear Screen Protectors for Large Devices with an added "Cap Sheet" installed so that we could try and avoid shipping damage and installation errors due to "Squeegee Burning".

Everyone ordering our Large Device Screen Protectors should be receiving the protector with the Cap Sheet installed. This addition will allow our customers to perform a better installation as once the protector is lined up, they can be much more aggressive with the squeegee when doing their installation and the surface of the protector will have never been exposed to dirt, debris, the atmosphere or anything until you remove it. Every order should have a RED instruction sheet included explaining the Cap Sheet.

So as has been brought to the attention of jjchow, the cap sheet is on the screen protector and needs to be removed. If you feel that we should change our instructions or wording on the enclosed RED sheet, please send us your suggestions. We hope that you will agree that PhantomSkinz with the included Cap Sheet is a dramatic improvement in Screen Protection, again distancing us from 'the crowd".

Guru
    I've believe I've used a Griffon screen protector(or something similar to that) that had a cap sheet as well, but the cap sheet had a pull tab on it indicating it needed to be removed. I'd vote for putting a pull tab on your cap sheets, that way there is no confusion even if the additional instructions are mistakenly omitted.
    Quote Originally Posted by PhantomSkinz Guru View Post
    Good evening everyone,

Guru
    Yep, I saw that cap sheet on mine and I did remove it after installing the screen protector. But it still looked like crap two days later even after 2 hours of work installing it.
    Stu,

Just to be clear here, we are not talking about literal burning. If you rub a squeegee very hard against anybody's screen protector without a lubricant, the heat generated from the friction will leave a scuff mark. That is what I am referring to as Squeegee Burning.

Guru
    Have you tried doing the install in a steamy bathroom? That's always worked well for me.
    I'll definitely try that next time! Hopefully on my Pre3!

Karla
    Wow, wish I had known about this on mine. I basically trashed two new screen protectors because they were hazy and had the vertical lines. I guess I just missed the cap sheet instructions included with the screen. I was really disappointed in what I thought was the new "quality" of Phantom Skinz.

I recently installed the sticky type screen protector (not water-based) on an iPad2 and it had a cap sheet as well. The only difference is that it had a tab attached to the cap sheet with the words "step 3: cap sheet" on it. The instructions included were visual with 3 steps.

Step 1: Peel back off
    Step 2: Apply screen protector and squeegee out bubbles.
    Step 3: Remove cap sheet via tab

At least for me, that was very easy to not miss.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast