1.    #1  
    I'm thinking about picking up a bluetooth keyboard and using it with multiple devices (TouchPad, iPad, and laptop) and was wondering if any particular keyboard might have an advantage over any other. Perhaps we can gather pros and cons for each keyboard that people have successfully used with the TouchPad. Even better would be some comments regarding use with multiple other devices. If this becomes a popular thread I can update this first post to gather the details.

HP's TouchPad Wireless Keyboard
    Price: $70 (retail) / $55 (street)
    ASIN: B0055QYJK6
    Model No: FB344AA#AC3
    Pros: Designed for the TouchPad; Card View, Notification View, Search, Keyboard(?), Brightness Down/Up, Rewind, Play/Pause, FF, Mute, Volume Down/Up, Power(for keyboard or for TP?) keys
    Cons: No Esc key
    Comments:

Logitech Tablet Keyboard for Android 3.0+
    Price: $70 (retail) / $60 (street)
    ASIN: B0054L8N7M
    Model No: 920-003390
    Pros: Keyboard Case converts into tablet stand; Search, Home, Back, Menu keys, several Android specific Fn keys; Esc key
    Cons:
    Comments:

Logitech Tablet Keyboard for iPad
    Price: $70 (retail) / $60 (street)
    ASIN: B0054L8MR8
    Model No: 920-003241
    Pros: Keyboard Case converts into tablet stand; Home, Search, several iPad specific Fn keys
    Cons: No Esc key
    Comments:

Ultra eXo Bluetooth Mini Keyboard with Touchpad
    Price: $80 (retail) / $60 (street)
    ASIN: B004KO2VHM
    Model No: U12-41310
    Pros: Includes Bluetooth Adapter, Touchpad, Laser Pointer, Presentation & Multimedia Controls; good battery life
    Cons: Poor range for included bluetooth adapter (which you may not use if your device already includes bluetooth)
    Comments: Pairs with Windows98/ME/2000/XP/Vista/7, Mac OS 10.2.8 or later, Google Android, Apple iOS 4 or later, Microsoft Windows Mobile 5.0 or later, Nokia Symbian S60 System; small size, so not meant for desktop work.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by appsotutely; 08/16/2011 at 11:32 PM.
    I am going to try and get some information about this keyboard. After all portability is the name of the game here. Lugging around a big keyboard we may as well carry a laptop.

https://jornostore.com/specifications/

A few months off for release.

EDIT: I have contacted requesting more information. It does say WebOS 2.0 or greater compatible. Not the cheapest around but the name of the game is portable.
    Last edited by judge34411; 08/09/2011 at 05:51 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by judge34411 View Post
    I am going to try and get some information about this keyboard. After all portability is the name of the game here. Lugging around a big keyboard we may as well carry a laptop.

https://jornostore.com/specifications/

A few months off for release.
    Don't bother, it's vaporware. They were supposed to release spring 2011, and then in June pushed it back to March 2012.
    Can we get purchase price added to the original post and responses. I will write up something once I have used my HP one more and I have gotten a BT adapter for the computers.

I will say the HP is sleek and slimline, but the keys being flat does increase errors and slow down my typing a little. All the additional specialty keys are awesome though.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Don't bother, it's vaporware. They were supposed to release spring 2011, and then in June pushed it back to March 2012.
    Thanks for the information. That sounds just like our HP TouchPads and all the promises they have made. Up to and including deadlines coming and going.

We shall see. I am in no rush. I sure want a portable keyboard. One big keyboard like the HP or Logitech defeats the purpose of the Tablet for me. An I use my computers at home most of the time.

But thanks for the warning I will not put down an advance on that keyboard for sure.
    The HP keyboard is actually quite a bit smaller than I was expecting.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    Can we get purchase price added to the original post and responses.
    Done, and some photos as well. If you find bigger, clearer photos elsewhere, please add them! The Logitech for Android photo was found on Amazon, uploaded by a user who noted that the actual keyboard showed different keys than the box and other promo material.
    Are there any decent mini BT keyboards that work with the TouchPad?

I picked up a small keyboard off ebay that's about the size of a slab phone and other than it triggering the "just type" feature at random times, it seems ok. The keys are very rubbery and squishy. I'd rather have something where the keys are more solid and click, but still small enough to thumb type. Does such a product exist?
    @hrminer92

Ultra U12-41310 eXo Mini Keyboard - Includes Bluetooth Adapter, Touchpad, Laser Pointer, Presentation & Multimedia Controls & 3Yr Warranty w/ Reg.

This isn't the cheapest one but I really like it a lot.

It will pair with TouchPad, Pre, Veer with no problem.

Pairs with:

Windows98/ME/2000/XP/Vista/7
    Mac OS 10.2.8 or later
    Google Andriod
    Apple iOS 4 or later
    Microsoft windows mobile 5.0 or later
    Nokia Symbian S60 System

Its a great little Keyboard and it even comes with a Touchpad to control the mouse from the keyboard(if you are on a computer, etc).

I've had mine for almost a month and its perfect for my needs.

It also has a nice up/down/left/right arrow pad that works perfect with Game Emulators.

Battery Life is great has lasted over 2 weeks on one charge.

Link:
    www.compusa.com mobile
    That looks like it has a better key layout than what I have, but the trackpad wouldn't be used unless HP enables use of BT mice. How is the tactile feedback of the keys compared to the Pre? I prefer the Pre's keyboard to the little BT keyboard I have. Typing on the latter feels like the keys are made out of soft little marshmallows and you can't tell if the keypress was registered or not by feel.
    The keys are definitely hard plastic (keyboard like feel) and has a nice solid click noise for almost all the keys (spacebar is semi light to hear/feel).

The Touchpad control does get in the way of typing slightly but is managable. If you aren't using it.

It also has a nice backlit keypad feature that lights up all the keys nicely if you would like it to.
    I decided to splurge and get the official Touchpad Wireless Keyboard.

First, I'll suggest that if you're using a wireless keyboard, you're going to want to disable auto-correct, and fix red underlined words manually. I type too fast on the keyboard, so it'll sometimes not show the correctly spelled word being changed to something else until I've already pressed enter to send the message.

I wouldn't use the HP keyboard for other devices. Unfortunately, my laptop is being sent back to Dell for repair, so I can't try it out myself, but there's no Alt key.

That being said, for Touchpad use, the keyboard is really nice. Despite being about the same length as the Freedom Bluetooth Keyboard I was using before (an older model that they don't seem to sell anymore), the keys are spaced apart much better, and both shift keys are full sized. There's also no strange positioning or anything like that. All the keys are where you would expect them to be. The other keyboard has the up arrow and the shift key backwards. The HP keyboard solves this by making the up and down arrow half-height, which works fine.

The extra row of Touchpad -specific keys work well, but you probably don't have an actual need for any of them.

The symbol key is weird, because pressing it and then pressing a key on the keyboard makes it act like a Pre keyboard. In other words, pressing symbol then Q gives you a slash. However, there's nowhere on the Touchpad keyboard where it shows these symbols, and the symbols already exist where you would expect them in the numbers row.

Honestly, the one biggest nitpick I have with it is really silly, but I hate the Apple-type marking of the backspace key and enter key as delete and return.

Oh, and one more hint, if you're going to stop using the Touchpad keyboard for a while, instead of turning the keyboard off, just press the onscreen keyboard key. This makes it so that when you tap on text boxes, the onscreen keyboard comes up again each time, so that you can walk away from your desk or whatever and still use the Touchpad. The keyboard itself goes to sleep after a short time, and you can just press any key on the keyboard to wake it up when you're back at your desk. It's just easier than fiddling with that switch each time.

Only other downside is that the shift key tends to keep its default webOS behavior. So if you press shift twice you're locked in caps mode, even though there's also a separate Caps Lock key on the keyboard. This just feels weird on a full-sized hardware keyboard, especially since there's nothing on the screen that shows you you're in this mode. But you'll get that with any keyboard.

Edit: Attached a couple quick pictures.
    Last edited by jhoff80; 08/17/2011 at 05:48 PM.
    what about a folding iPaq keyboard? would that work?
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    I snagged a 32GB TP from Best Buy online yesterday morning, and I'm interested in a wireless keyboard, too.

I've seen a number of folio-case-keyboards at "the Bay," all of which say they work with the iPad.

Are they likely to be compatible with the TP....or not?

Is a keyboard specifically for TP going to be MUCH better?

Thanks,

Mike
    Since I'm also in the android camp I was checking out the Motoroal Bluetooth Keyboard for the Atrix & Xoom for about $60.

And then on the hand held side, I would want something that at least has cursor keys. Does webOS support cursor keys on the keyboard? Since they don't have mouse support (really odd, and standard on Android) I would hope cursor keys are supported. Otherwise, editing text is just going to be a chore, though I guess that point is a little played down since QO doesn't have editing yet. So I'd go with this one on ebay. I like the staggered key layout and the cursor keys on the right.

I do like that all in one type mini keyboard posted above with the touchpad, laser pointer and all, but if I'm thumb typing, having the touchpad on the right just seems awkward.

I also have the Dell Streak 7 (which is pretty sweet running honeycomb outside of the low res) and the Asus Transformer. Keyboard support with touchpad use is really nice on it. Adding that in to webOS would be a nice gesture for the hundred plus thousand new owners out there.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    As I posted in another thread up here, I bought the Logitech keyboard for Android to use with my TouchPad. So far I've loved it, and had no problems. I have only used it with the Touchpad though, so I can't comment on how well it syncs with multiple devices like you were asking. If need be i can upload a better photo, but it is identical to the one pictured as far as I can tell.

None of the FN shortcuts work in the TouchPad(like FN 3 for Email), but that is something that may be configurable in the future I hope, as we hack in to the internals better.

The typing is responsive though, and I like the keypress feel. I also like that it comes with its own case that transforms into a stand for the TouchPad.