1.    #1  
    For those of you that have a TP - are you utilizing the Micro USB port for any peripherals? Say for a card reader? Does the TP even recognize such a device? IF the Micro port works with other peripherals - the TP may be my next tech acquisition! Inquiring minds want to know!

Cheers,
    Kim
    This PRE is MINE all MINE! But if you ask nice I might let you hold it!
    Nope. The USB port is not a USB host. So you can't attach additional devices to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Forgewizard View Post
    For those of you that have a TP - are you utilizing the Micro USB port for any peripherals? Say for a card reader? Does the TP even recognize such a device? IF the Micro port works with other peripherals - the TP may be my next tech acquisition! Inquiring minds want to know!

Cheers,
    Kim
    I put an email out to AirStash who produces a nice device allowing you to put an SD card into it and view its files via WiFi. I haven't had much luck with the TP and browser based FTP so I was hoping for an app. I will let you know if I hear back.
    That would be cool as hell!
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by pavvento View Post
    I put an email out to AirStash who produces a nice device allowing you to put an SD card into it and view its files via WiFi. I haven't had much luck with the TP and browser based FTP so I was hoping for an app. I will let you know if I hear back.
    AM I reading that right - an SD card reader that talks via WI-FI? For basically any type of file?

I've been looking up info on those EYE-FI Camera SD cards with built in WI-FI.
    But a stand alone device that reads cards and talks WI-FI sounds better.

wonder how the device is powered? Battery? Dimensions? Card Capacity?

OF course that means I have to utilize Wi-FI, something I can do already if I store files on the clouds or on my personal social sites.

Not that I am against WI-FI - but there are times I want to just work locally on my computer device.

Was hoping the Micro USB port would do more than charge.

But doesn't it pass data from the PC to the TP and vice-versa? Doesn't the Micro USB port on the PRE do the same - charge AND swap data?

If it can send and receive data via this port - does it only do that with a PC? Shouldn't it be able to swap data with a card in a reader? or better yet - directly from a camera with the camera cable? Or from a peripheral drive/ storage device?

I kind of understand that the Pre with it's smaller processor, may not be able to do more than behave as a drive itself - but the TP has much more processing power and ought to behave more like an actual computer - not a huge usb flash drive. Right?
    This PRE is MINE all MINE! But if you ask nice I might let you hold it!
    It was a pain to carry my very old laptop and my nikon gears a while back. Nikon + sd card reader + Touchpad as my backup/photo reader would be perfect. PERFECT!
    Is it a HW or SW restriction not to be able to connect any USB storage to the USB port?
    tx
    Global Posts
    367 Global Posts
    Hardware. You need specific host hardware for a device to be able to attach storage/client-devices via USB.
    After seeing this gadget I had to think about getting my "iomega iconnect" mobil with a battery.

The iconnect has a 1.2GHz Marvell CPU. Many USB-Ports for media-Sticks and a build in media-server AND !!WiFi!! (but could need about up to 7Watt)...but on a car this shouldnt be a problem or at home....on the way this could be a problem....You could also build such a media-server with a Seagate-Dockstar, a USB-memory-Stick and a USB-WLAN-Stick.

The iconnect is a thing such a Plugcomputer (Sheevaplug, DreamPlug, Pogo-Plug, GuruPlug,...some got WiFi inside)