Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By mrjspeed
  • 1 Post By irwinr12
  1.    #1  
    Hello,

I will be receiving my touchpad in a few days hopefully. I know everyone has been getting a great deal on them with basically 200 off at some stores. Hopefully that will help the webos (which I still need to learn about)

With that said, I plan on getting a phantom skinz chromatics carbon skin. Should I get an anti glare or regular scree protector? Will it make much of a difference?

How about this for the case? Amazon.com: Breed BTR-001 iPad Control Case with Built-In Bluetooth Keyboard (Black): Electronics

I know the HP case is 45ish so this seems like a good deal with a keyboard included. (based on my research most ipad cases work well with this device) Will the keyboard even be necessary? Or is the official HP case really good? Any other case recommendations? I plan on having it in a messenger bag to/from work, etc. Thanks for any and all help!
    Not sure on hardware(I don't own a Touchpad) but if you need help with WebOS itself I'd be glad to help you 1 on 1!
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
    If you're planning on getting a Touchstone, then the HP case is really a nice item too. The HP case allows you to charge through it while on the Touchstone. Pretty neat feature that I use a lot.

Welcome to webOS and these fine forums!
  4.    #4  
    So the HP case is pretty legit then? Seems kind of pricey for $50. I was hoping for that price it would be more like the Griffin or Otter box cases. Or even the G form extreme cases. I plan on having it in a messenger bag a lot with other stuff like books, notes, sunglasses case, etc etc. I just want to know it will be protected while on the go.
    Quote Originally Posted by gtrain83 View Post
    Hello, How about this for the case? Amazon.com: Breed BTR-001 iPad Control Case with Built-In Bluetooth Keyboard (Black): Electronics

I know the HP case is 45ish so this seems like a good deal with a keyboard included. (based on my research most ipad cases work well with this device) Will the keyboard even be necessary? Or is the official HP case really good? Any other case recommendations? I plan on having it in a messenger bag to/from work, etc. Thanks for any and all help!
    Case and keyboard may be a problem since it covers most of the bezel that would allow side gestures that have become so useful for me on my TP. If you can live without it and use the button to switch apps...you should be fine.

Not familiar with Screen Protectors or Anti-reflection surfaces, but they should come in handy if you plan to use your TP outside. My TP doesn't go out often...simply because it is TOO HOT and I'm unwilling to work up sweat when I can enjoy life inside. I guess it all depends what you plan to do with your TP.

Other case recommendations, I actually bought a iPad 1 case on sale ($10) and hacked it to work with the TouchPad. For me, it is perfect, provide the protection I need, and allows full control gesture wise I've come to expect on the TouchPad. Here's a link for your reference and it may be of interest if you're handy with a needle and thread!

Sena ZipBook Case Mod referenced on webOSRoundup Forum

Let me know what think and I'll look forward to future posts and updates from you and your TouchPad. Sorli...
    So the HP case is pretty legit then? Seems kind of pricey for $50. I was hoping for that price it would be more like the Griffin or Otter box cases. Or even the G form extreme cases. I plan on having it in a messenger bag a lot with other stuff like books, notes, sunglasses case, etc etc. I just want to know it will be protected while on the go.
    Yeah, it's pretty good. My only real gripe is there's no way to make the cover stay shut. It doesn't flop around, but it does move a little when closed. There's no Velcro or magnets holding the cover closed. Other than that, the cover is great. I think I got mine on Amazon for $35. The front cover is stiff, but not solid. It can bend a good bit. I feel confident it would be ok in your bag.
  7.    #7  
    Thanks everyone! Very excited to get this. I was wanting a tablet and was going to wait until Q4 for some quad cores to start releasing with ice cream sandwich on Android. but then I was very very lucky and won a Touchpad from Tiger Direct! Some people keep telling me to sell it and get ipad2....but I think I want to keep it.

Sorli I saw your post when I was researching it. Looks like a good idea! Sppedtouch, thanks for the indepth info on the HP case. Maybe Best Buy will price match amazon, as some ppl have had luck with.
    Hello,

I will be receiving my touchpad in a few days hopefully. I know everyone has been getting a great deal on them with basically 200 off at some stores. Hopefully that will help the webos (which I still need to learn about)

With that said, I plan on getting a phantom skinz chromatics carbon skin. Should I get an anti glare or regular scree protector? Will it make much of a difference?

How about this for the case? Amazon.com: Breed BTR-001 iPad Control Case with Built-In Bluetooth Keyboard (Black): Electronics

Even though it's pricey, get a Touchstone. You will thank yourself for doing it. I always cringe forking over the money for one, but once you have it you can't do without it.
    touchstone and case and then preware!. You will love webos. If got the 200 off not only are you getting a great tablet you are getting it for a great price.
  10.    #10  
    Ok, so the touchstone is a must? I will look into that as well now.

What is preware? Sorry, never knew about WebOS until the touchpad came out. Didn't know that is what pre used as I have not had a "fancy" phone ever.
    Preware is the gateway app to all homebrew software. It allows you to install patches, install new kernels (required for overclocking), and install apps that are not in the official HP App Catalog, among other things.
    I would second getting a touchstone. This microusb port reminds me of my pre minus and how after enough insertions it will start cracking. I'm gonna have to spring for one soon.

Can anyone recommend some good "grip tape" or something for the back of the touchpad? I want something on the back that provides more friction (as well as prevent scratching). The problem is when I hold the TP with one hand, my thumb on the bezel glass and my other four fingers on the back plastic - the TP slowly slides down. The thing seems too slippery for me so I'd like to put some thin tape of some kind on the back.
    The HP case is very grippy.
    i'll most likely get a case, but I'm not sure I want the HP one. Here's hoping more 3rd party solutions come soon.

I think for now I'll just put some painter's tape on the back. It will increase grip, reduce scratching, and when people call it tacky I can say, "Actually no, this is low-tack tape."
    davidtm and laurelle like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrJspeed View Post
    i'll most likely get a case, but I'm not sure I want the HP one. Here's hoping more 3rd party solutions come soon.

I think for now I'll just put some painter's tape on the back. It will increase grip, reduce scratching, and when people call it tacky I can say, "Actually no, this is low-tack tape."
    The HP case is very good. I would recommend it over 3rd party ones for a couple reasons:

1.) It doubles as a stand. Just like the iPad case it provides two positions (a low angle and high angle) one suitable for typing the other suitable for watching video.

2.) It works with the Touchstone. How annoying would it be to have to remove it from it's case everytime you want to charge it? And while other cases *might* work with the Touchstone, they are unlikely to work as well. HP's engineering team made sure that the materials used in their case does not interfere with charging at all.

3.) You already asked about a good 'grip tape' for the back of the TouchPad... That would be the HP case. It's rubbery and grippy. It's not slippery at all.

It might be a little pricey but it's worth it.

-Jeremy
    laurelle likes this.
  16.    #16  
    Went to best buy today and the HP rep was there showing off the Touchpad. Got to play with thier HP case and I must say I was actually very impressed by it. On the box it looks kind of cheap but it is pretty nice. So I picked up that and a neoprene case that was on sale for when I travel with it in my messenger. Also, it comes with 50gig of cloud storage?! That is was nice surprise.

I know best buy sucks, or at least imo, but if you buy 4 or more accessories they are 20% off, fyi. Since I was buying a camera and memory card, etc I picked up stuff for the touchpad at 20% off. Just a heads up if anyone needs anything.
  17.    #17  
    Also, b/c I purchased the HP case I don't think I am going to do a skin. Doesn't seem to be needed with the case. And it is pretty grippy, like previously stated.
    Did you use the Staples $100 off coupon there as well? Best Buy should honor it, I think. Be sure to read my How Do I thread, you'd have found out about the 50GB storage from there...and lots more info.
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by speedtouch View Post
    Did you use the Staples $100 off coupon there as well? Best Buy should honor it, I think. Be sure to read my How Do I thread, you'd have found out about the 50GB storage from there...and lots more info.
    I will be reading your thread now. And didn't use the coupon b/c I am getting my touchpad for free from Tigerdirect.