Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Like Tree11Likes
    Yeah the touchstone is essential.
    There are suddenly millions of new owners who will need accessories, so my thoughts are the market will be very3 good for retailers for a month or so before it slows and prices drop deeply.
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by richhoff View Post
    There are suddenly millions of new owners who will need accessories, so my thoughts are the market will be very3 good for retailers for a month or so before it slows and prices drop deeply.
    This is what I was thinking too. Possibly some local places may just want to be done and not have it in their stock so the prices will drop quickly. I saw that when I worked for RadioShack during the first Pre launch. After Palm went belly up our touchstone stuff dropped to like $15 --> $11 and then $7 before they were finally gone.
    SmittyD likes this.
    Global Posts
    713 Global Posts
    Now that we have our touchpads (some of us, for the SECOND time!), the accessories have to be coming down. Please post any incredible discounts here.

The best I saw BEFORE the discontinuation was about $84 at HP Academy, for the case AND touchstone, combined. I'm hoping we can do way better than that, now that the tp is extinct!
    tim
    no discounts this is the HP master plan to earn a profit lol
    JonVon likes this.
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    I stopped by Best Buy on my way to work today, They were sold out of TouchPad, said by the time they pulled for web orders overnight they had two left. They had three HP BlueTooth keyboards, I asked if they were discounted (there was no shelf tag), the manager said he could give me 20% off the $70 price. I found a Motorola 89451N keyboard, open box for $32, batteries were missing. Otherwise it seems to be working great, I'm using it right now.

It's a full size keyboard.. Not sure how much I'll carry it around, but it's nice to have the cursor keys so I can use Google Docs.

I'm keeping my eyes open for cheap TouchStones... I picked one up at full price at OfficeDepot after they price reduced my TP for me, but would like to have maybe two others, possibly three that I can put in different rooms rather than having to move the TS around.
    Zoomer > Handspring Deluxe > Treo 90 > Zire71 > LifeDrive > Centro > Pre (yes, still!)
    TouchPad
    I saw a nice stand on Amazon today -- no, it's not a Touchstone/charging dock, but it's a nice stand for cheap for your nightstand or desk.

$11.06 sold through Amazon (eligible for FSSS)
    Amazon.com: Arkon Portable Fold-Up Stand for Apple iPad, Galaxy Tab, Playbook, Xoom, HP, Toshiba, Acer, Nook and Other Tablets (IPM-TAB1): Electronics
    Seems like B&H has the best price for a touchstone (64.95 shipped) and amazon has the best price for a case (36 shipped). Anyplace better?
    Last edited by musicguy; 08/21/2011 at 04:23 PM.
    Global Posts
    713 Global Posts
    I hope I'm not going to regret sending back my cover and touchstone. I really thought I was finished with webOS when I returned my tp to staples. Didn't realize the firesale would begin that night. Now, I will go without until the prices come down.
    tim
    Looks like the prices for EPP arent effecting the touchpad accessories anymore.. Sucks..! lol
    Global Posts
    125 Global Posts
    I have been tracking the amazon prices and they are actually going up....I say it will be a while before you see the accessories drop.
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bagbug View Post
    mmm , why ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bagbug View Post
    millions ? Source ?
    The Touchstone may not be essential but it is really nice... your touchpad has a feature known as exhibition mode which gives you a streamlined look at certain apps (calendar, facebook, photo album, clock, and several others) it runs it like a screensaver. This can be manually activated or automatically activated by placing it on the touchstone. Its a nice feature. The touchstone also acts as a stand for your touchpad and enables you to charge without having to connect the micro usb charger. Essential... no. However, I have one and I strongly recommend it as a nice addition.

There are not millions of new Touchpad users. Early reports indicated that HP was ordering about 300,000 units per month for production. Being as we are almost done with month two of release and giving them a 2 month head start on production at these numbers would only add up to just over a million units. This is just speculation of course since we don't have all the numbers and who knows how accurate the sources were especially in light of HP's recent PRPRPR $showing$.
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    I question the accuracy of that. Best Buy alone had a stock of 270k Touchpads. I don't know the other stores figures but if Best Buy had 270k and there was like 10 other major chain stores selling them then that alone should be over a million units. That's without even including HP's own sales or any of the major online only sites like Newegg, MacMall/PCmall etc who carried these and the dozens of smaller online sites who listed their inventory at 1,000-15,000 each.

It's possible that Best Buy just had an insanely large amount of them compared to all other retailers but it seems unlikely considering the other retailers who were selling them.
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    I think best buy may have just had a lot. There were several times that amazon showed their stock was low on their site (happens when they get to about 15 units left) and if they also received the same amount as best buy that would mean that the touchpad was selling really well there. There is also the peculiar incident where hp didn't have enough 16gb units to meet demand at launch and offered free upgrades to the 32gb version. Maybe best buy over ordered and got burned.
    I am guessing that in HP's communications with retailers (at the negotiating table with Best Buy specifically), in order to convince them to spare HP the cost of shipping these back and selling them off, they basically gave away the farm, and reduced their wholesale cost on the TouchPads to half the firesale retail ($50 for the 16GB and $75-$100 for the 32GB). In addition, they probably made a side deal to hold off on deeply discounting the accessories in order to help them move stock of those items too (discount the razor, but profit on the blades). After most places are out of stock, I suspect the accessories will see a similar discounting strategy, and we will all be racing to buy $10-$15 Touchstones, $5 cases, etc.

Some retailers will possibly not wait for the accessory firesale and will drop their prices to near their original wholesale, although not quite the 80 percent off we've been seeing with the TP's.

Personally I'm holding off for the accessory firesale. My wife can put her new caseless $100 TP on my near full cost Touchstone until then.
    CostCentral.com has the best prices for accessories now. The TouchPad case (with shipping) is about $26.51 and the touchstone is $50.90. Shipping is extra.
    Quote Originally Posted by musicguy View Post
    CostCentral.com has the best prices for accessories now. The TouchPad case (with shipping) is about $26.51 and the touchstone is $50.90. Shipping is extra.
    The official HP case is $44 plus shipping.

edit: had to refresh twice, now showing the prices you mentioned. Thanks!
    CostCentral.com is showing $75 for me...
    Same as bryanharig. I was going to jump on that! xD

Edit: Just did an in depth search for the genuine HP touchpad case, best price I've found:
    ORIGINAL official HP Touchpad Tablet Case Portfolio | eBay
    $44.99 inc'l ship

HP case at costcentral:
    $41.06 inc'l ship.
    There's no coupons for costcentral right now, too.
    4,249 in stock and going...

Amazon.com: HP TouchPad Custom Fit Case: Electronics
    Amazon best right now, $28.64 + $6.49 shipping!

MASTER GOOGLE SHOPPING LIST:
    HP TouchPad Case Case for web tablet

I'll do some more hunting and get back...
    Last edited by aeharding; 08/22/2011 at 02:18 PM. Reason: Add ebay search
    They raised the prices for the accessories shortly after I posted... Happy I bought it when I did!

Now, the best deal is on amazon.com.
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast