Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I've been putting off the decision on whether or not to buy the bluetooth keyboard until QuickOffice allows me to edit documents on the device. But I'm wondering, for those of you who bought it, how much use it gets?

I'm afraid that it will be such a nuisance to carry around that the only place I'd really use it is at home where I have "real" computers available to use anyway.
    Global Posts
    679 Global Posts
    I haven't used it much yet. The on-screen keyboard is pretty good so I never feel the need for it.

I did use it to create a blog-post of a few hundred words. And it was good! So if you regularly type pages of text, go for it.
    Pilot 5000 > Pre > Pre2 > Pre3 > Galaxy Nexus
    TouchPad > Galaxy Tab 8.9
    I got the keyboard, but haven't had occasion to use it much at home. I got it for those days when I am out and about for a day or two. I'll be out and about all day this Saturday and will be leaving the laptop home.

The keyboard is only really useful if you are at a table or counter so you can set it and the TP on the hard surface. It is a bit of a pain to use with both the keypad and TP in your lap.
    Just got mine yesterday, but I have mine at my office all day, so it's definitely worth it. Propped up on the Touchstone & Keyboard in front.

I need to search the threads though because it seems you can't swipe cards or launcher pages without using the touchscreen. You can only expand/minimize the card view & launcher view. Is that correct? I'd love to have the arrow keys allow me to toggle cards.

Sorry, small hijack there. IMO it's worth it if you will have it stationary on a desk for a good part of the day or night....with heavy document/email/processing use.
    In or within a day's drive of Indy? Join one of our meetups!
    http://www.meetup.com/HPwebOS/Indianapolis/

Twitter: @INDYwebOSMeetup @steffej3
    Although I really appreciate the WebOS on screen keyboard especially compared to the crappy Android keyboard, I really like and use the Bluetooth keyboard . I use my HP Touchpad as a direct replacement for my laptop so when I am at a desk and I am monitoring my customer ticket help system or live chat from my websites it is just easier and faster with the keyboard, Very fast and responsive . In my opinion a must by accessory if you plan on using it for business .
    I find it easier for doing things like this - actually TYPING. For minor things like web search and so forth, I can use the virtual keyboard, but for anything that will be over a couple of sentences long, I prefer my Bluetooth keyboard. I find that when I'm using the virtual keyboard, I spend most of my time looking at my fingers to see if I'm hitting the right keys - and so I miss whether I have an auto-correct (auto-defect?) error. With the keyboard I can watch the screen and get it right the first time.
    I probably would. I use it when sitting at my desk when it is on the Touchstone.
    Just got up for my keyboard While it doesn't get a whole lot of use, it's nice for when I feel the need. The card button, and notification buttons are handy.

It's nice to be able to read what you've typed, you can read a lot more without having the VKB in the way.

Like someone above had mentioned, if you're planning on doing a lot of typing at once, the keyboard just makes it easier.
    Man I so badly want to order the BT keyboard.... just cant make a good enough excuse for it yet. The 15% off and next day shipping almost got me....
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    From a business perspective, I wish HP had included some way to generate function key sequences for use with Citrix receiver and RDP clients.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Dan Donovan
    FYI, on a standard Bluetooth keyboard, the Windows key is the card view button, and Esc is the notification view.
    Last edited by jhoff80; 08/04/2011 at 09:13 PM.
    Global Posts
    511 Global Posts
    I haven't had much use to play with mine. Going to use it for journal entries while I play Dragon Age RPG Dark Fantasy tomorrow so we'll see how it does for text entry.
    I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
    Device history: *free feature Phone*x3 -> LG Rumor -> Palm Pre -> HTC Arrive (3days) -> Samsung Nexus S 4G (28 days) -> Samsung Galaxy S II Sprint Epic 4G Touch -> Palm Pre -> Pre 3
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    FYI, on a standard Bluetooth keyboard, the Windows key is the card view button, and Esc is the notification view.
    So then there is not *need* for the HP keyboard? I could use an excuse for a BT KB for the HTPC and the TP.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    So then there is not *need* for the HP keyboard? I could use an excuse for a BT KB for the HTPC and the TP.
    Exactly. I've been using a really old folding Bluetooth keyboard when I've needed one and it works great.
    Yes - for anything longer than a web address the (or any)virtual keyboard is far too slow for me. But then I am biased - I was taught to touchtype, and even on my Pre 2 I watch the screen, not the keyboard.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Exactly. I've been using a really old folding Bluetooth keyboard when I've needed one and it works great.
    awesome.... Might need to'make a trip to frys tomorrow
    the added ability to scroll is nice too
    def get the keyboard - it makes the TP so much faster to use. I'm using it to type this...imagine how long it would take if I were to tap each one of these characters by hand This is why I like having a phone with a keyboard.
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    I got one & find it VERY useful. Once editing is around I'll bet its even more useful.
    John

Proudly Microsoft/Apple Free with HP/Palm Pre+/ Driod Bionic / Verizon Wireless TouchPad SOON! NOW!
    Quote Originally Posted by timeweb2 View Post
    I got one & find it VERY useful. Once editing is around I'll bet its even more useful.
    Sorry should have been more specific. I was referring to using a BT keyboard made for webOS vs any other BT keyboard. Apparently, the same special functions the HP keyboard has can be done with a BT KB with the windows button and an escape button as posted above, no need to purchase the branded one.

Looking like I could almost come in at half the cost and have a windows/TP BT keyboard.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast