webOS Nation Forums >  Stuff for your webOS Device >  webOS Accessories > TouchPad Micro USB cord not charging`
TouchPad Micro USB cord not charging`

Old 08/03/2011, 10:36 PM   #1 (permalink)

Anyone else having issues with original USB to micro USB cord?

Mine will not fit snugly to the TouchPad. I stopped using it two weeks after I noticed my tablet not charging. I now use the same cord that I have been using for my pre for the past 2 years. It fits snugly and charges fine while the original cord does not. I have not reported this to HP yet.

I even noted at my local Best Buy that only 1 of the 2 TouchPads were powered. The one not working micro USB wiggled and did not fit properly so I am betting that is why it was not on. Luckly the other one did fit snugly and was working fine.

Last edited by speedygodzilla; 08/04/2011 at 07:51 AM.
speedygodzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/04/2011, 09:08 AM   #2 (permalink)

I'd contact HP support and get a new one. It should fit snugly.

TouchPad owners: The TouchPad "How do I...?" thread.
Devices: HTC HD7, Wife's Lumia 710, and two TouchPads
Twitter: @STLwebOSMeetup
speedtouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/04/2011, 10:08 PM   #3 (permalink)

I plan to. Just curious if others are having the same experience.
Old 08/05/2011, 02:33 AM   #4 (permalink)

The demo touchpad at work (Fry's electronics) has this wiggle and not wanting to charge issue, so I got a touchstone for my own TP to prevent this. I only use the USB now for data transfer.

-- Sent from my Palm TouchPad using Forums

Vent Mounted Touchstone for Pre3 DIY!
vasekvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/09/2011, 04:45 PM   #5 (permalink)

Just a quick follow up to any who run into this problem too. I contacted HP support chat with the help app on the TouchPad. After an hour of slow conversation (slow on HP side) they advise me they will send me a replacement. So I am awaiting the new cord.

If you have the issue don't just deal with it, get HP to replace it. I say this so they know if there is a problem and can keep it from continuing for new units.
Old 11/25/2011, 11:41 AM   #6 (permalink)

tried a replacement lead ebay it now says charging but will not raise power up,borrowed mates blackberry torch orig lead and charges fine.the original HP lead with silver seems weak,so be warned some of the leads although perfect fit don't raise the power ..! Very odd any explanation ?
mark.e.c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/26/2011, 03:53 PM   #7 (permalink)

If you test the MicroUSB Lead for continuity, you will probably find that one of the Data lines is broken. That would be consistent with the TouchPad charging ... but only at a very slow rate.
Wheel_nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/28/2011, 02:10 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedygodzilla View Post
Anyone else having issues with original USB to micro USB cord?

Mine will not fit snugly to the TouchPad. I stopped using it two weeks after I noticed my tablet not charging. I now use the same cord that I have been using for my pre for the past 2 years. It fits snugly and charges fine while the original cord does not. I have not reported this to HP yet.

I even noted at my local Best Buy that only 1 of the 2 TouchPads were powered. The one not working micro USB wiggled and did not fit properly so I am betting that is why it was not on. Luckly the other one did fit snugly and was working fine.
the connection is dodgy me thinks , just give it a wiggle ...the cable that is lol
rangersfc1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/03/2011, 04:07 PM   #9 (permalink)

I have the same problem. I am not rough on the cord so I assume it must be a problem with either the cord/plug or internal receiving plug.
Going to see if I can find someone else at work that bought one of these machines cheap and try their power cord.
Sorry that others have had this problem before, but glad to know I am not alone.
LincNebr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/07/2011, 10:28 PM   #10 (permalink)

My HP Touchpad too doesn't charge when the USB cable connected to computer. The notification that pops down says "...if you want to charge the device, use the charger that comes with the device..." - so, how do you get it to charge when connected by USB to computer ? Thanks.
hptuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/17/2012, 03:28 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheel_nut View Post
If you test the MicroUSB Lead for continuity, you will probably find that one of the Data lines is broken. That would be consistent with the TouchPad charging ... but only at a very slow rate.
I took one of these supposedly cheap cables to find the fault. To my surprise they are well made. The gold coated leads are individually soldered and all wires are buried in resin in the very well shielded plug, itself soldered to ground/shield. I was able to disassemble rather than destroy the several pieces, then reassemble (minus vinyl jacket)

The fault is the springy leads themselves getting pushed down into their channels. A small sewing needle gently lifting the contacts fixed it good as new.

I still got a new free one under warranty before dissecting.

Oh, the little chrome circle is real metal too.
jawshoeaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/22/2012, 02:38 PM   #12 (permalink)

I spoke to support on Monday and went through a quick troubleshoot. The call ended with "it sounds like the usb cord we will send you a new one" I got the new cord on Wednesday(2 days later). I am back up and running! I would highly suggest anyone with a charging issue call support, sounds like there are known issues with the cords.
ameilich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/01/2012, 09:00 AM   #13 (permalink)

FWIW... I was having issues with my Touchpad USB cable not charging, while swapping in my Palm Pixi Plus USB cable worked, so HP is replacing the cable 8 months under warranty free of charge. Thank you, HP.

Update: New TP USB cable arrived from HP, overnight express via UPS, less than 24 hrs after chat with Support. Kudos to HP.

Last edited by FastCat; 05/02/2012 at 09:32 AM.
FastCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/15/2012, 06:59 PM   #14 (permalink)

I have had problems with the charging/data transfer on my Touch pad too. The charging light would sometimes go out unless I wiggled the USB plug or held it in a certain way. I tried a different cable with a better result for awhile. Then, my leg got tangled with the cable and jerked it out of the jack. That happened twice.
Now I can't get it to charge but I seem to be able to transmit data sometimes if I keep pressure on the plug.

I have a dual boot using Cyanogenmod 9 nightlies. I use wireless to get the new CM9 versions and an app to transfer files to and from my laptop. I bought a Touchstone which works great for charging and a convenient stand so I am getting by for now. I just fear the day when I will need to use the USB for a major upgrade or a backup.

I found a procedure to replace the connector at Installing HP TouchPad USB Connector Board - iFixit but am not willing to try it at this time. I have a refurbished unit with only a 90 day warranty so returning it to HP is not an option.
aerospacecase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/16/2012, 12:49 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerospacecase View Post
I have had problems with the charging/data transfer on my Touch pad too. The charging light would sometimes go out unless I wiggled the USB plug or held it in a certain way. I tried a different cable with a better result for awhile. Then, my leg got tangled with the cable and jerked it out of the jack. That happened twice.
Now I can't get it to charge but I seem to be able to transmit data sometimes if I keep pressure on the plug.

I have a dual boot using Cyanogenmod 9 nightlies. I use wireless to get the new CM9 versions and an app to transfer files to and from my laptop. I bought a Touchstone which works great for charging and a convenient stand so I am getting by for now. I just fear the day when I will need to use the USB for a major upgrade or a backup.

I found a procedure to replace the connector at Installing HP TouchPad USB Connector Board - iFixit but am not willing to try it at this time. I have a refurbished unit with only a 90 day warranty so returning it to HP is not an option.
It's probably a problem with the usb cable. The ones from HP are notoriously fragile. I've gone through about 4 of them. Go on HP's support site and ask for a new one through warranty--they're so cheap that they mail one to you immediately with almost no questions asked.
GotsOJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/19/2012, 05:54 PM   #16 (permalink)

now that the support has been closed, how to order a new one?
Mine just got broken
Magnetic_dud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/20/2012, 03:14 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnetic_dud View Post
Mine just got broken
my charger does not charge my HP tablet it is slack and i always have to fiddle with it the cord. how can i order a new one
merl53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/20/2012, 03:26 PM   #18 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnetic_dud View Post
Mine just got broken
Quote:
Originally Posted by merl53 View Post
my charger does not charge my HP tablet it is slack and i always have to fiddle with it the cord. how can i order a new one
Amazon.com: HP North American Power Charger for HP TouchPad: Computers & Accessories

HP TouchPad AC Adapter - Walmart.com

HP TouchPad Chargers & Cables - webOS Nation Store

HP TouchPad Charger $5, Case $5, Sleeve $2

Literally 3 minutes work on Google looking and copying links over.

Last edited by RumoredNow; 11/21/2012 at 11:21 PM.
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0