Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
  1.    #1  
    I just got the Armor Carbon Fiber protector from BodyGuardz and I just figured I'd let everyone know how it is. It's a bit tough to install but once you get it on, it sticks nicely to the TouchPad frame. I expected a little more added grip from it, but am still happy with how it feels when you hold the TouchPad. Also, I'm hoping it will help prevent the cracking around the speakers. It looks excellent overall, it makes me wish HP had gone with a design like that.

DSC01360.jpg
    DSC01363.jpg
    DSC01364.jpg

It also comes with an UltraTough or Anti-Glare screen protector so your whole device is covered. Also, as with the other BodyGuardz products, you get lifetime replacements in case you ever need to send your TouchPad in to get fixed or for whatever reason.

Anyone have any questions?

My Palm History- Palm Pilot 5000> Palm V> m105> m130> Zire 71> Sony Clie TH55> TX> Centro> Pre Plus> Pixi Plus> Pre 2
  2. Bo
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    Is it all one piece around the shell of the touchpad body? From one of the pics it looks like there is a slight gap between the back and side of the cover. Also, did you have to spray water on the cover to get it aligned or is it one of those static cling type of covers.
    Quote Originally Posted by bhughes719 View Post
    I just got the Armor Carbon Fiber protector from BodyGuardz and I just figured I'd let everyone know how it is. It's a bit tough to install but once you get it on, it sticks nicely to the TouchPad frame. I expected a little more added grip from it, but am still happy with how it feels when you hold the TouchPad. Also, I'm hoping it will help prevent the cracking around the speakers. It looks excellent overall, it makes me wish HP had gone with a design like that.

DSC01360.jpg
    DSC01363.jpg
    DSC01364.jpg

It also comes with an UltraTough or Anti-Glare screen protector so your whole device is covered. Also, as with the other BodyGuardz products, you get lifetime replacements in case you ever need to send your TouchPad in to get fixed or for whatever reason.

Anyone have any questions?
    That looks pretty good!
  4. RUV
    do you have to take this off in order to charge with a Touchstone?
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    Looks just like my PhantomSkinz Carbon Fiber! Skinz are pre-cut to fit around the bends and curves. A Little difficult to install but well worth it. If you have the HP Case, after installing the skin carefully re-insert the TP with skin in place into the case. That help help hold all the cutouts into place and allow the adhesive to stick better.

See the following thread for pictures of the PhantomSkinz version I posted earlier. http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...6-shipped.html
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Bo View Post
    Is it all one piece around the shell of the touchpad body? From one of the pics it looks like there is a slight gap between the back and side of the cover. Also, did you have to spray water on the cover to get it aligned or is it one of those static cling type of covers.
    sorry it took me so long to reply to this, I just realized people posted replies.

The backing is not all one piece, there is the back, and then one piece for each side. It was a little difficult to install for me, which is why there was a gap, but if installed with the proper patience, it should come out almost perfect.

The screen protector is a static cling one that does not require the spray. I found it to be more difficult to install than the spray ones, due to not being able to move it around, but once you get it on, it looks great!
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by RUV View Post
    do you have to take this off in order to charge with a Touchstone?
    No, you do not need to take this off to charge on the touchstone. My touchpad handles charging perfectly fine through the cover and the case when I use both.
  8. Bo
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bhughes719 View Post
    backing is not all one piece, there is the back, and then one piece for each side. It was a little difficult to install for me, which is why there was a gap, but if installed with the proper patience, it should come out almost perfect.

The screen protector is a static cling one that does not require the spray. I found it to be more difficult to install than the spray ones, due to not being able to move it around, but once you get it on, it looks great!
    I picked up the armor suit carbon shield from amazon and it looks close to this but its mostly one piece and doesn't really cover the corners. It came with four little tabs that are supposed to cover the corners but still doesn't look as clean as this. It is the 3M tape type, and was very hard to line up perfectly but I think I did an ok job of it.
    If you like doing things yourself, you can also just buy sheets of the 3M Carbon Fiber wrap off of eBay:

3M Black Carbon Fiber | eBay

This eBay seller has them in multiple colors and multiple sizes (about $6/sq ft).

You can check out the various colors here.
    Quote Originally Posted by appsotutely View Post
    If you like doing things yourself, you can also just buy sheets of the 3M Carbon Fiber wrap off of eBay:

3M Black Carbon Fiber | eBay

This eBay seller has them in multiple colors and multiple sizes (about $6/sq ft).

You can check out the various colors here.
    Just want to add for those that dont know... this will not easily wrap corners or anything with a tight curve. Unless it allows more stretch than the products I have used in the past.

This comes from automotive experience, so as always YMMV
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Bo View Post
    I picked up the armor suit carbon shield from amazon and it looks close to this but its mostly one piece and doesn't really cover the corners. It came with four little tabs that are supposed to cover the corners but still doesn't look as clean as this. It is the 3M tape type, and was very hard to line up perfectly but I think I did an ok job of it.
    I feel like the decision BodyGuardz made to have the sides as different pieces was a good idea. With the Pre and Pre Plus screen protectors, it was all just one piece that required the spray (which isn't a bad thing, it allows you to move it around to get the right placement) and the flaps to keep the corners covered would never stay down when trying to apply them. After a few weeks of usage (putting in pocket or the pouch, taking out, etc), the edges start to collect dust or peel unless you applied them perfectly. (As a side note, I've found that using a hairdryer on a low setting and keeping it on the corner for about 45 seconds and then holding your thumb down over it helps to mold it into place.)

Anyways, back to my original topic... I've found that the Carbon Fiber backing doesn't have this issue, because you don't have to get the exact placement with the corners like you would with one piece, so once you get the back piece on, you just have to line the sides up with the cutouts and it matches up almost perfectly. I was in a hurry to finish mine, which explains the gap between the back and the side, but if you take it slow, it should come out better.

I'm impressed with how well the whole thing has kept together since I applied it. The edges and corners are still just the way they were when I applied them (no peeling), and this is after daily heavy usage of the TouchPad, and inserting and taking it out of the case numerous times (I figured doing that would peel the edges but I'm happy it doesn't. Overall it still looks nice and new, and I still highly recommend it to anyone who want's to protect the back of your TouchPad from getting scratched.

PS- Don't forget, Precentral is giving you the chance to win either a BodyGuardz Armor Carbon Fiber Skin (which includes the screen protector too) or a BodyGuardz Protective Skin (which is basically the same thing as the Carbon Fiber one, but is clear (and if it's anything like the other BodyGuardz products, adds a nice grip to it.) The contest ends Wednesday, so if you want a chance to get one of these amazing products, be sure to post something in the comments! PreCentral Giveaway: Win one of two FREE skins for your HP TouchPad! | PreCentral.net

Last edited by bhughes719; 08/20/2011 at 02:14 PM.

My Palm History- Palm Pilot 5000> Palm V> m105> m130> Zire 71> Sony Clie TH55> TX> Centro> Pre Plus> Pixi Plus> Pre 2
  12.    #12  
    I'll try to get some pictures of my TouchPad up soon so you all can see how well its kept up.

Global Posts
    578 Global Posts
    how is the feel of this skin? does it feel like a stickery/plain skin or can you feel the ridges and texture of the material?
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    Just ordered one
    how much weight does it add?

the original hp case adds weight to the TP that when i incline the touchstone, it actually goes down.
    Quote Originally Posted by bulls96 View Post
    how much weight does it add?

the original hp case adds weight to the TP that when i incline the touchstone, it actually goes down.
    It's basically a big sticker, I doubt there is any noticeable difference in weight.
    Got my armorsuit carbon fiber shield, looks awesome. I picked up from their site instead of amazon. Its a dollar cheaper than Amzn
    http://www.armorsuit.com/hp-touchpad...or-shield.html
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    does the screen protector affect the feel of the screen at all? I used a screen protector on my phone and the screen isnt as smooth with it on
    I have a Bodyguardz ultratough screen protector on order but am wondering if I should've gotten anti-glare. Any thoughts on which would be better?

Edit: to be clear, I ordered this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...bosnation0e-20
    Nevermind, I figured it out myself. The anti-glare are only static cling whereas the ultratough are wet-apply similar to Zagg InvisibleShield. I'm after the wet-apply kind as I really found them to work great on my Pre.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast