1.    #1  
    Title sort of says it all. I know the Touchpad AC adapter is capable of putting out more amps than the Pre 2 adapter. I was wondering if a device with a smaller draw would get fried. Trying to cut down on the wall warts I carry
    It won't send more power than needed to charge the phones. I use the big barrel for both devices when I go someplace with both and I'm not bringing the touchstones along with me.
    Yes but if you plug the Pre 2 charger into the Touchpad I don't think it has enough power. Won't do harm.
    somewhere there is a post from hardbeatZ telling us it is safe.

I plug mine in to a touchstone and that also works.
    There is a difference between AC adaptors for TP and Pre2. Fist has output of 0.4A, second has 0.2A.
    I did a check using govnah to see if the TP plug would charge my pre+ faster. It did not, the phone charged at the same rate using either adaptor. I assume that means that it is safe because the phone determines how much it is going to pull not the charger.
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pilotovef View Post
    There is a difference between AC adaptors for TP and Pre2. Fist has output of 0.4A, second has 0.2A.
    No, those are the 120VAC input currents to the charger. The output currents are 2A and 1A @ 5VDC, respectively.
  8.    #8  
    Thanks for all the replies & info. That's what I was hoping to hear. Now I can just carry the TouchPads adapter & cable (since it's higher guage for the higher current).

You guys are great!
    in one of the video interviews one of the HP big guys said he replaced all his chargers with the big barrel so he could use them on both devices.

The pre (and pre 2) charger will charge the touchpad in the off mode but sowly - 6 to 8 hours for a full chrge is what I am getting. When the screen is on it will supply power but the TP may draw more power than the smaller charger can supply so you are stil draining the battery but slowly.
    Global Posts
    511 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by govotsos View Post
    ... TouchPads... cable... is higher guage...
    Can anyone confirm that? I haven't seen anyone compare actual wires inside the cable.

Using the AWG chart: American Wire Gauge table and AWG Electrical Current Load Limits with skin depth frequencies
    The minimum for a regular USB 2.0 cable (500mA) is 24.
    The minimum for a Pre Touchstone cable (1.0A) is 21.
    The minimum for a TP USB cable (2.0A) is 18.

[edit]Keep in mind that chart is for solid copper wire. Every data cable I've ripped into is stranded.
    I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
    Device history: *free feature Phone*x3 -> LG Rumor -> Palm Pre -> HTC Arrive (3days) -> Samsung Nexus S 4G (28 days) -> Samsung Galaxy S II Sprint Epic 4G Touch -> Palm Pre -> Pre 3
    as long as the wire isnt getting warm it should be fine.

skin depth is irrelevant for DC btw.
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    In DC 18 ga can carry 10 amps easily - you don't need anything near that for the TP.
    I just ordered a touchstone for my Pixi+ and found that my 120v-> 550maH USB is not sufficient to charge it via touchstone, even while off.

I tested my roomates TouchPad 2A charger and it worked brilliantly. I'll probably try and get another one of those online so I have something.

I take it 1A is what the Pre/Pre2/Pixi are meant to come with, correct? So somewhere around 1A is the minimum to reliably charge the smaller devices via induction?
    Quote Originally Posted by Saijin_Naib View Post
    I take it 1A is what the Pre/Pre2/Pixi are meant to come with, correct? So somewhere around 1A is the minimum to reliably charge the smaller devices via induction?
    Yes. About 1A is required. That's why a single PC USB is not effective. They only put out 0.5A.
    With DC charging, the voltage has to match, but the amperage only has to be high enough. With stuff that charges via USB, if a charger outputs 5 volts and provides enough current (amps) then it will work. If it is capable of providing more current than is needed, that's not a problem. The device will only draw as much current as it needs. The charger only has to be capable of providing it.
    Touchscreens are a fad.