07/14/2011, 12:28 PM
Since most of the cases available now are pretty bland, I took my TouchPad into Best Buy and a few other retailers to "try on" some of the prettier/cooler iPad cases. Some of the less fitted iPad cases work, and the cutouts are even close enough to be functional.
I've always loved Sena ... had lots of them for various Treos over the years, but when I went to their site last week they had nothing for the TouchPad yet. They have a beautiful case for the iPad2, but I was a bit concerned about paying $80 for a case that might not fit and it was out of stock anyway. (Sena Cases - Designer Leather Cases : iPad 2 Leather Cases Florence for Apple) I just looked again, and they have the red iPad2 case in stock and a few very basic cases for the Touchpad. It looks like they're moving pretty quickly, so I'll keep waiting for the pretty red one.
Of course I still need something to protect Tabby (that's short for Tabetha ... a device this cool had to have a name) in the meantime, so I did a search and found this:
iPad Case: iPad Case Cover, iPad Silicone Case, iPad Plastic or Crystal Case
Tons of styles to choose from and they are so cheap that I ordered 6 different cases to check them out. I just threw away the ones that didn't work. In general, it seems any sleeve will work, and of course anything that "snaps" on doesn't work.
They arrived yesterday, and here's what I think of them.
1. Black neoprene sleeve (also comes in blue and purple): fits great!
Soft Neoprene Sleeve Case Bag for 10" iPad
2. Flannel case (available in many colors): perfect size & doubles as a screen wipe
Exquisite Flannel Case Cover for iPad
3. Leather folder (available in many colors and textures): perfect size with magnetic closure, but the color was way off; looked tan online but is very dark brown
PU Leather Protective Case/ Cover/ Bag for iPad/ iPad2
4. Plaid fitted case (available in many colors): did not fit at all, gave it to a friend with an iPad ... I'm now avoiding any case that has Rapunzel on the screen in the photo
Plaid Leather Protective hard Case Bag Cover for Apple iPad 2
5. Frame stand leather case (many colors): fit perfectly but looked so cheap I threw it out ... avoid any cases with that rubber strip on the front to hold the stand, cheap leather & bad construction
Exquisite Left-right Leather Case Cover for Apple iPad
NOTE: Also learned from this one that you want to avoid those where the frame of the case comes right to the edge of the screen ... makes it almost impossible to shrink a window down to a card.
6. Leather fitted cover (red, black, brown): tight fit, but it works and you can't beat the price! It even charges through the case on the Touchstone.
Full Protection Genuine Leather Case Cover for iPad 2 (Red)