webOS Nation Forums >  Stuff for your webOS Device >  webOS Accessories > Super cheap iPad cases ... some work for TouchPad
Super cheap iPad cases ... some work for TouchPad

Old 07/14/2011, 12:28 PM   #1 (permalink)

Since most of the cases available now are pretty bland, I took my TouchPad into Best Buy and a few other retailers to "try on" some of the prettier/cooler iPad cases. Some of the less fitted iPad cases work, and the cutouts are even close enough to be functional.

I've always loved Sena ... had lots of them for various Treos over the years, but when I went to their site last week they had nothing for the TouchPad yet. They have a beautiful case for the iPad2, but I was a bit concerned about paying $80 for a case that might not fit and it was out of stock anyway. (Sena Cases - Designer Leather Cases : iPad 2 Leather Cases Florence for Apple) I just looked again, and they have the red iPad2 case in stock and a few very basic cases for the Touchpad. It looks like they're moving pretty quickly, so I'll keep waiting for the pretty red one.

Of course I still need something to protect Tabby (that's short for Tabetha ... a device this cool had to have a name) in the meantime, so I did a search and found this:

iPad Case: iPad Case Cover, iPad Silicone Case, iPad Plastic or Crystal Case

Tons of styles to choose from and they are so cheap that I ordered 6 different cases to check them out. I just threw away the ones that didn't work. In general, it seems any sleeve will work, and of course anything that "snaps" on doesn't work.

They arrived yesterday, and here's what I think of them.
1. Black neoprene sleeve (also comes in blue and purple): fits great!
Soft Neoprene Sleeve Case Bag for 10" iPad

2. Flannel case (available in many colors): perfect size & doubles as a screen wipe
Exquisite Flannel Case Cover for iPad

3. Leather folder (available in many colors and textures): perfect size with magnetic closure, but the color was way off; looked tan online but is very dark brown
PU Leather Protective Case/ Cover/ Bag for iPad/ iPad2

4. Plaid fitted case (available in many colors): did not fit at all, gave it to a friend with an iPad ... I'm now avoiding any case that has Rapunzel on the screen in the photo
Plaid Leather Protective hard Case Bag Cover for Apple iPad 2

5. Frame stand leather case (many colors): fit perfectly but looked so cheap I threw it out ... avoid any cases with that rubber strip on the front to hold the stand, cheap leather & bad construction
Exquisite Left-right Leather Case Cover for Apple iPad
NOTE: Also learned from this one that you want to avoid those where the frame of the case comes right to the edge of the screen ... makes it almost impossible to shrink a window down to a card.

6. Leather fitted cover (red, black, brown): tight fit, but it works and you can't beat the price! It even charges through the case on the Touchstone.
Full Protection Genuine Leather Case Cover for iPad 2 (Red)

Just waiting for webOS 3 on the phones. Please hurry, HP!

Last edited by ag95keri; 07/14/2011 at 12:45 PM.
ag95keri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/14/2011, 09:06 PM   #2 (permalink)

Links aren't working.
Accessories
-5 Touchstones for phones & Touchpad
bnceo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/14/2011, 10:02 PM   #3 (permalink)

I was able to use the links.

Thanks -

RE: #6 - How do all the cut outs match up? Can you still access all the buttons? Are the speakers blocked?
iowahawk19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/14/2011, 10:20 PM   #4 (permalink)

Update: Links work again. Before I got the Focal Point mandarin/chinese site. And nothing to see.
Accessories
-5 Touchstones for phones & Touchpad
bnceo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/15/2011, 07:34 AM   #5 (permalink)

If you want to get inexpensive ipad cases for the touchpad, try monoprice.com . I have ordered hdmi cables from them in the past and got an email the other day about ipad cases. They are less than ten dollars and are probably exactly the same as the ones from best buy. They probably make more money on accessories than the actual product.
Cubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/16/2011, 04:06 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowahawk19 View Post
I was able to use the links.

Thanks -

RE: #6 - How do all the cut outs match up? Can you still access all the buttons? Are the speakers blocked?
The holes aren't exact matches but line up well enough. I can get to all the buttons plus the usb and earphone jack. There are 2 small extra cutouts that we don't need, but for $18 who cares. Technically, it does cover up the speakers, but what covers them is a thin felt-like flap. I was planning to cut the holes myself with an x-acto knife, but the felt doesn't seem to muffle the sound at all so I left it alone.

Just waiting for webOS 3 on the phones. Please hurry, HP!
ag95keri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/17/2011, 05:04 PM   #7 (permalink)

I think I want to get the Full Protection Genuine Leather Case Cover for iPad 2 (Red) for my Touchpad...did you have a favorite? Which one do you use?
cccaldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/28/2011, 02:36 PM   #8 (permalink)

Many thanks for this tip.

I ordered from focalprice about a week ago. Got a confirmation that my Paypal accounted had been debited, but no other email confirmation and no case thus far. A little more research revealed they're shipping from Hong Kong - any clues about how long that typically takes to the US (NC)?
dbrose is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0