Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By hparsons
  • 1 Post By kayphoonstar
  • 1 Post By bhughes719
  1.    #1  
    Hi all,

Here's a a nice review of the TouchPad's case...the author was pleased that he was able to charge the TouchPad on the Touchstone, as promised by HP.

Take care,

Jay

TouchPad Case review: Thin and light
    By James Kendrick | July 8, 2011, 11:56am PD

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/mobile-new...and-light/3218

Since picking up the HP TouchPad on launch day I have been using it in a variety of places. The tablet is either in my hands getting a workout or in a gear bag on the way to a coffeeshop where it will soon be hard at work. I have used the TouchPad for different things, not the least of which is as a content creation device. The latter makes it clear to be functional the TouchPad needs to be in a case, one that makes it possible to prop it up at a comfortable angle for typing and/or viewing. There aren’t a lot of choices for cases given how short a time the TouchPad has been on the market, so today I picked up the form-fitting HP Case.
    Last edited by ilovedessert; 07/08/2011 at 10:38 PM.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    I have a little problem with the orientation when using the cover for a stand. For me, it would be better if the volume controls were on top - not on the bottom. I like the feel of the case, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by kayphoonstar View Post
    I have a little problem with the orientation when using the cover for a stand. For me, it would be better if the volume controls were on top - not on the bottom. I like the feel of the case, though.
    Sounds like you're using it wrong. In landscape mode, the cover "hinge" should be at the bottom. This puts the volume control on top.
    Rnp and sledge007 like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Sounds like you're using it wrong. In landscape mode, the cover "hinge" should be at the bottom. This puts the volume control on top.

OMG, (he said, to sound really, really stupid) There's another flap! I couldn't figure out what the velcro was fer.

Thank you.

Rnp likes this.
  5. dec
    Global Posts
    255 Global Posts
    :-P
    I love the case, however I do still have a few problems with it.

For one, it would be nice if they could add an elastic band to it or another method of keeping the flap attached to the case. When charging with the case on the touchstone, the flap doesn't stay up. Nothing too serious, but something to keep the flap in place would still be nice to have.

bad2.jpg

Also, to use the TouchPad in the case on the touchstone, you have to fold the flap down, and it just looks funny.

bad.jpg

I would rather be able to fold it up and behind the touchstone.

good.jpg

Oh well, otherwise I'm happy with the case.

My Palm History- Palm Pilot 5000> Palm V> m105> m130> Zire 71> Sony Clie TH55> TX> Centro> Pre Plus> Pixi Plus> Pre 2
    Downtime500 likes this.
    Link to full review?
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by kayphoonstar View Post

OMG, (he said, to sound really, really stupid) There's another flap! I couldn't figure out what the velcro was fer.

Thank you.

Hi, don't feel bad, we all do things like that once and a while...for example, I forgot the include the link to this article. (I'm including it here and going back to the original posting and placing it there as well.

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/mobile-new...and-light/3218

take care, Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by lukehale View Post
    Link to full review?
    Hi so sorry here is the link, I have posted it back into the 1st posting as well.

HP TouchPad Case review: Thin and light | ZDNet

take care,

Jay
    bhughes719,

"For one, it would be nice if they could add an elastic band to it or another method of keeping the flap attached to the case. When charging with the case on the touchstone, the flap doesn't stay up."
    You can adjust your Touchstone to lay back a little more and the flap should stay. Mine is still at a pretty upright angle and stays no problem.

"Also, to use the TouchPad in the case on the touchstone, you have to fold the flap down, and it just looks funny."
    You can fold the flap behind the touchpad flat and place it on the Touchstone and it will still charge.

-Skippy
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    Hi, don't feel bad, we all do things like that once and a while...for example, I forgot the include the link to this article. (I'm including it here and going back to the original posting and placing it there as well.

HP TouchPad Case review: Thin and light | ZDNet

take care, Jay
    I probably just need to step away from the TouchPad. I haven't put it down in a week and I just got the case today - another case of just RTFM once in a while. . .

Quote Originally Posted by bhughes719 View Post
    I love the case, however I do still have a few problems with it.

For one, it would be nice if they could add an elastic band to it or another method of keeping the flap attached to the case. When charging with the case on the touchstone, the flap doesn't stay up. Nothing too serious, but something to keep the flap in place would still be nice to have.

Also, to use the TouchPad in the case on the touchstone, you have to fold the flap down, and it just looks funny.

I would rather be able to fold it up and behind the touchstone.

Oh well, otherwise I'm happy with the case.
    Fold it completely flat behind the TouchPad, then put the TouchPad on the charger. It will charge through the two layers.
    Put the TouchPad in the portrait position and it will stay closed. Mine stays closed in the landscape position though.
    I agree, the natural thing to do is put the TouchPad on the Touchstone speakers up with the flap laying over the top and behind the device. When you fold the flap behind the TouchPad and sit it on the charger correctly the bulge from the second layer doesnt actually allow the device to sit on the front lip as its to narrow and it feels like its going to fall off if bumped. Besides this puts undo stress on the fold.

I would like to see them enable charging while device is positioned speakers up, as well as playing movies.
    It only took two days to receive the case from the HP website. Originally tried to order from Amazon with an expected July 25th delivery date.
    "To learn to succeed, you must first learn to fail."
    ~Michael Jordan

"The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese."
    ~Author-Sir Colin Spedding

"If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error. ~John Kenneth Galbraith, Money: Whence It Came, Where It Went"

Finally upgraded and dual-booting HP TouchPad running CM9. Look out world, here I come, ready or not! Now rocking the cancelled AT&T Pre3 no thanks to HP!
    Quote Originally Posted by JackisBack View Post
    It only took two days to receive the case from the HP website. Originally tried to order from Amazon with an expected July 25th delivery date.
    Same here, but mine shipped out yesterday and I am getting it tomorrow. Amazon likes to surprise me! Under promise, over deliver!
    Treo 300->Treo 600->Treo 650->Treo 700p-> Palm Pre-> Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch (32GB Launch-day Touchpad sustains my webOS need for now)
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by BMIC50 View Post
    Same here, but mine shipped out yesterday and I am getting it tomorrow. Amazon likes to surprise me! Under promise, over deliver!
    Hi all,

I signed up for Amazon Prime the minute they offered it and have renewed ever since. When they say two day free delivery they mean it! The lose on me it terms of shipping costs...

Take care,

Jay
    Quote Originally Posted by Skippy07 View Post
    bhughes719,

You can adjust your Touchstone to lay back a little more and the flap should stay. Mine is still at a pretty upright angle and stays no problem.

You can fold the flap behind the touchpad flat and place it on the Touchstone and it will still charge.

-Skippy
    It isn't a huge deal to me, but tilting it back a little farther helps. In terms of the elastic band, it would be nice to have something to keep the flap down when traveling.

I know it charges through both layers if you fold it back, but it just doesn't sit on the touchstone as nicely with the extra layer.

My Palm History- Palm Pilot 5000> Palm V> m105> m130> Zire 71> Sony Clie TH55> TX> Centro> Pre Plus> Pixi Plus> Pre 2
    Folks,

I like to put mine in landscape and let the case cover to "lie down" on the bottom like the way the diagram shows in the guide. The smooth texture of the inlay acts as a small patch for my phone or palm rest :-) But it may not be viable if one does not have a lot of room. After all, space saving is a function of a stand.