webOS Nation Forums >  Stuff for your webOS Device >  webOS Accessories > Cocoon / Grid-It hard side carry case fits TP plus T'stone and keyb'd
Cocoon / Grid-It hard side carry case fits TP plus T'stone and keyb'd
Like Tree11Likes

Old 07/06/2011, 05:54 PM   #1 (permalink)

I've used products from Cocoon Innovations for a couple of years, including a laptop bag for work, and smaller Cocoons to keep electronic gear ready to go at a moments notice (no frantic searches for cables, adapters, memory cards, etc.). I plan to use my TouchPad and accessories for extended note taking at on-the-road meetings, pending QuickOffice updates of course.

The Cocoon Innovations CNS345 hard side case can accommodate the entire complement, and still have room for the TP power adapter, a MiFi device, PowerMat portable charger, fingerprint cloth, and USB-to-mini retractable cable. The case is currently on special through the Cocoon Innovations website for $30.

Pros: The Grid-It device keeps everything organized (nothing falls out when you open the case). The shoulder strap extends far enough to carry the case messenger style if you are in a crowd.

Cons: There are no handles for carrying the case if you unclip and remove the shoulder strap. I have regular size hands and feel comfortable carrying it one handed.

The hard side case is plastic, not titanium, which is fine. I handle all my electronic gear with the care it deserves. This particular model comes in black, gray, purple, and red.

The Grid-It System keeps everything organized. The straps are made of elastic, while the gray stitching is rubberized thread. The article placed in the Grid-It is gripped on the top by the strap on top, and on the bottom by neighboring straps underneath. Everything stays where you put it.

Note the curved end of the Touchstone extends over the top of the Grid-It into the storage space behind it. The pouch on the opposite side is good for a few sheets of paper folded in half (think boarding passes, not Pocket Ref. Come to think of it, Pocket Ref for the TP would be cool.)

The storage area of the Cocoon case holds the TouchPad and keyboard. Both pieces slide underneath the straps easily, and are protected by cushy fabric on the back side of the Grid-It. The keyboard is a snug fit in the long dimension. Underneath the TouchPad are two rubber discs that seem to do a good job in holding the TouchPad in place, especially when mated with the HP TP case. I'd hesitate to pack the equipment this way if I didn't have a protective case on the TouchPad to start with.
joe_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by graylion, PrinceAlbert, WoodWulf and 1 others like this.
Old 07/07/2011, 11:34 AM   #2 (permalink)

thx for sharing. I like it, and may try to get one, myself. looks like it def keeps everything organized and 'spillproof'..
bdb777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/07/2011, 09:40 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdb777 View Post
thx for sharing. I like it, and may try to get one, myself. looks like it def keeps everything organized and 'spillproof'..
Just ordered this case @ discount from manufacturer. Cheaper than Amazon Prime. Ordered gray with green interior. Will post review nest week!
pmalena is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by meir602 likes this.
Old 07/07/2011, 11:18 PM   #4 (permalink)

Nice case and great review. Would love a handle, but strap will work and thanks for insight. Sorli...
sorli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/08/2011, 10:02 AM   #5 (permalink)

I like this idea. joe.s, do you have the Touchpad in a the case INSIDE of that Cocoon?
Old 07/08/2011, 10:14 AM   #6 (permalink)

Better hurry up if you want this case, it is on clearance at the website for $29.99! Also, Amazon has it for about the $33.00 price point with free shipping. Stock is shown low at this point. I ordered mine yesterday along with three other co-workers. Thanks for the heads-up OP.
d-larsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/08/2011, 11:37 AM   #7 (permalink)

i really like this but i just ordered the HP case and also this - Amazon.com: CaseCrown Hard Case (Black) for the HP TouchPad: Electronics

i hope he tP fits inside my hardcase with the HP case on it.
blackfireball5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/08/2011, 12:42 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMIC50 View Post
I like this idea. joe.s, do you have the Touchpad in a the case INSIDE of that Cocoon?
Yes. The TouchPad is in the HP case beneath the keyboard in the third pic. There is approximately 1.25" on either side of the TP. There are felt/rubber feet inside the Cocoon case meant to grip the TP (or netbook) you are carrying; these feet coupled with the rubber-like material from the back of the HP case will keep the TP in place.

One other benefit of the Cocoon bag: you can unzip it and lay it flat to cruise through airport security. When you clear the screening area, all you have to do is zip the case and go.
Thanked By: BMIC50
Old 07/08/2011, 06:17 PM   #9 (permalink)

I just ordered my Gun Gray case. Thanks for the recommendation. $33 with shipping is awesome.
rburtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/09/2011, 09:15 AM   #10 (permalink)

One of the reasons (besides your endorsement!) I ordered was its "airport security friendly" feature. Should arrive next week!
pmalena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/09/2011, 09:21 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmalena View Post
One of the reasons (besides your endorsement!) I ordered was its "airport security friendly" feature. Should arrive next week!
Same here, too bad I can't get this to work for my work laptop. It will be nice to pull this case out of my laptop backpack and open it up and then pull out the laptop.
Liked by iamhives likes this.
Old 07/09/2011, 09:31 AM   #12 (permalink)

Thanks for this! I was going to start looking for a good travel case this weekend.

Now I can switch to this case, have all the TP accessories, and leave the laptop & case in the truck!
Old 07/09/2011, 09:42 AM   #13 (permalink)

Not only will it hold the TouchPad accessories, but also my Pre touchsone and cords.
Thanked By: PrinceAlbert
Old 07/09/2011, 04:02 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmalena View Post
I passed through TSA this morning with the rig as pictured: 'Papa' Cocoon with the work laptop, and 'Baby' Cocoon with the Touchpad. As soon as QuickOffice and a Nook viewer app get sorted out, I'll be ready to cut the laptop cord.
Liked by PrinceAlbert and riw like this.
Old 07/10/2011, 11:20 AM   #15 (permalink)

ordered mine Friday for delivery Monday. Looking forward to having all the accessories organized and readily available. Oh, and I got black, but it was hard to resist the Cardinal Red.
Old 07/10/2011, 11:34 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinceAlbert View Post
ordered mine Friday for delivery Monday. Looking forward to having all the accessories organized and readily available. Oh, and I got black, but it was hard to resist the Cardinal Red.
On that basis, you can consider my case coordinated with the Buccos.
Liked by PrinceAlbert likes this.
Old 07/10/2011, 07:16 PM   #17 (permalink)

I got mine yesterday (black) and its definitely a good buy. For some reason, it was thicker than I thought it would be, but it makes sense that it would be this thick as it holds a lot. I almost need to find things to put in it. My HP Case for the TouchPad will be here tomorrow, so it wont feel like its bouncing around in there unprotected for long. Putting in some stuff for my Pre is also a good idea.
Old 07/10/2011, 10:32 PM   #18 (permalink)

I'm thinking about picking this up as well, but does anyone know of a nice leather laptop messenger bag that would fit this case and an additional 15" laptop? thanks in advance!
joen05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/11/2011, 09:15 AM   #19 (permalink)

Does this fit the TouchPad in its case?
IGNTNUNLMTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/11/2011, 09:57 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGNTNUNLMTD View Post
Does this fit the TouchPad in its case?
Yes.

TouchPad owners: The TouchPad "How do I...?" thread.
Devices: HTC HD7, Wife's Lumia 710, and two TouchPads
Twitter: @STLwebOSMeetup
speedtouch is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0