webOS Nation Forums >  Stuff for your webOS Device >  webOS Accessories > Will the new Touchstone also charge a pre-,pre3 or veer?
Will the new Touchstone also charge a pre-,pre3 or veer?

Old 07/01/2011, 01:14 AM   #1 (permalink)

As the title states... will I be able to charge my phone on the touchpad's touchstone?
Vyruz Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/01/2011, 03:21 AM   #2 (permalink)

no, the touchpad touchstone will not charge any of the phones
dcbo89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/01/2011, 11:36 AM   #3 (permalink)

Actually, that's an interesting question. I don't believe the Touchpad doc has magnets to hold the unit in place. Theoretically, if the doc is flat and you place your Pre just so, you might be able to charge it. IMO, more trouble than it's worth, but it might work in a pinch. I'll give it a try in a few days when my doc arrives.

Handspring Visor Deluxe, Treo 300, 600, 650, 700wx, 800w, HTC Touch Pro, Palm Pre, TouchPad 32GB.
tostler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/01/2011, 03:30 PM   #4 (permalink)

unless they require the same amount of power to charge, this sounds like a quick way to fry your phone
strykr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/01/2011, 03:34 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by strykr View Post
unless they require the same amount of power to charge, this sounds like a quick way to fry your phone
In a video about the touchpad during the hp event, someone working for HP said that the touchstone is smart and can change the amount of juice given to the pre3.. so it sounded like it can charge it. Ill try to find the video a little later
Vyruz Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/03/2011, 11:28 AM   #6 (permalink)
ka1

The HP Touchpad transformer outputs 2amps... I think the original Pre touchstone requires .7 or so to work. So even if the TouchPad touchstone could magnetically connect to your pre, you may fry it... Or just charge faster.

The cables are the same, I think (4 pin, middle two shorted?).
Old 07/03/2011, 06:21 PM   #7 (permalink)

Just put my Pre- on the Touchpad Touchstone to try and it didn't charge.
But it still works on the Pre Touchstone so I guess putting it on the wrong Touchstone won't break it either.
tgebhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/30/2012, 09:29 AM   #8 (permalink)

My Pre 3 will charge from my Touchpad Touchstone Charger.

It's a bit tricky to get it lined up so that it gets a decent amount of juice, but it does work.

I found it best to line up the Pre3 with the top edge of the Touchstone and shift right (towards the bottom of the phone) just a little. You can use Govnah to monitor the charge rate to make sure you get it right.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PRE3 TOUCHPAD CHARGE.JPG (282.3 KB, 37 views) Email Attachment
hagster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/30/2012, 05:11 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagster View Post
My Pre 3 will charge from my Touchpad Touchstone Charger.

It's a bit tricky to get it lined up so that it gets a decent amount of juice, but it does work.

I found it best to line up the Pre3 with the top edge of the Touchstone and shift right (towards the bottom of the phone) just a little. You can use Govnah to monitor the charge rate to make sure you get it right.
Confirmed. Worked with my Pre 3 exactly as shown in your post. However, it did NOT work with my old Pixi (which still DOES work on the original touchstone.

Now, can someone send me a Pre 3 touchstone audio dock so I can test that with other devices?

m500>T3>T|X>Treo 755p>Pre>Pixi>Pre 3
..........................................TouchPad
PalmOS-------------------webOS-------
carldc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/02/2012, 11:28 AM   #10 (permalink)
thg
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ka1 View Post
The HP Touchpad transformer outputs 2amps... I think the original Pre touchstone requires .7 or so to work. So even if the TouchPad touchstone could magnetically connect to your pre, you may fry it... Or just charge faster.
you can not "fry" your device just by connecting it to a charger (or TouchStone) that delivers 5V and more or even much more amperes.

The device will consume as much current as it needs, this is defined by the charging-electronics in the device/battery.

If the device needs 5V/1A and you connect it to a charger with 5V/2A, it will charge with 5V/1A anyway. If you connect a device that needs 5V/2A to a charger that only delivers 5V/1A it just will need longer time to charge it.

On the other hand, if you connect your device to a charger with a higher voltage, like 6V, 7,2V or 12V, you will kill your device, independent if the charger delivers 500mA, 1A or 2A - the higher the voltage the higher the chance to kill your device permanently and if the charger can deliver enough power (watt = voltage x ampers) you even can "grill" your device.

And yes, the TouchPad TouchStone also can charge other Palm devices, it is just a little bit complicated to find the correct position and to "fix" the device there.
thg is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: PalmPixi_User23
Old 11/19/2012, 10:33 PM   #11 (permalink)

I don't suppose anyone has tried the Touchpad Touchstone with a Palm Pre Plus? my charging jack just stopped working, and I'm scared to attempt activating my backup phone.
ambercrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/20/2012, 03:20 PM   #12 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

An earlier post here says no luck with a Pre+... I tried my Veer and my Pre 2. Neither charged. For whatever reason it appears only Pre 3 charges on the TP TouchStone...

Is your microUSB port borked? Can your computer see the Pre+?

There are touchstones available on eBay/Amazon/etc... I suppose you would need the back as well???
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/18/2012, 03:42 AM   #13 (permalink)

Hey,

Just wanna check, Pixi can't get charged from TP touchstone. Can anyone confirm?

Cheers
Jooho Son is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0