Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes
  1.    #1  
    Ok. So I'm all ready to place my order on Friday for the Touchpad. I know that having a Touchstone Dock will show off the Exhibition features of webOS, but besides that, and the convenience of not having to plug and unplug the charging cord, is there any other reason to by the Dock?

I have a Sprint Pre, so TTS is not a factor, and from what I can tell, the TTS is between the Touchpad and the Phone itself (using Touchstone technology), not even requiring the actual dock.

Personally, I'll probably be getting a vinyl coated wire plate display holder ($3 or so) for my charging station and plugging it in until the Dock itself comes way down in price. I don't think I can justify $65 to $80 for these features. This is probably because I was too cheap to ever even get the Touchstone for the Pre (and a new back to go with it), and still plug in every day.

I will likely get a case, and maybe even the official one for protection, but not right away.

Thoughts? I'd like all opinions. Perhaps someone can change my mind.
    I like it for convenience. I've always had a TS for my Pre minus and I still use it everyday. It's just too easy to place on it and charge it. Exhibition mode is probably cool and a nice feature but it's not why I'm getting one. No need to try and convince you that you need a TS for your TouchPad. The price is probably out of your range of what you'd like to spend.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    I don't think I will rely on it as much as I do with my phone. I will probably get one for my desk at work to use as a charger/exhibition/stand when using the keyboard. At home I'll probably just use the charger.
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    in my oppinion using touchstone on my pre changed the whole experience... its so much better to just put ure phone down and its charging~!

The new touchstone will add that many new features to the touchpad and for 66 bux from amazon its def worth the money....

in my opinion it changes the exp so much that HP should have included touchstone as part of a package.....
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
    dajlol77 and howi like this.
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    I agree with ijip. The ease of use that comes from the touchstone is one of those features that pays off every day. I have 3 touchstones for my launch day Sprint Pre; Night stand, auto center console, and desk at work. The only time I plug in is when i travel, and I usually take a touchstone with me on an extended stay trip.

With a Touchpad and Exibition mode, my wife will know what I'm doing, and where I am simply by glancing at the Touchpad as it sits on the stand in my home office - so I guess there is a drawback.

Yea, the stand is pricy, but I consider it an essential component.
    The Borg will trace their ancestry to the Treo180.

Handspring Visor Deluxe, Treo 300, 600, 650, 700wx, 800w, HTC Touch Pro, Palm Pre, TouchPad 32GB.
    I still remember the first time I saw the Pre sitting on a TS charger and thought to myself what a great idea this is, now over 2 years later I can't imagine owning any mobile device without one, they are that much of a convenience. If you have never owned/used one or are a fan of another device that does not offer it, it is hard to convey to you the benefits of it.
    I love the touchstone for my phone. I have it by the bedside and use it as a clock at night (although it puts out more light than I'd like). I bought a 2nd one at work, but I like to keep the phone by my computer and use it while I'm charging during the day, so just went back to plugging it in.

For the touchpad, the wow factor is definitely there, but I'm not seeing it as $75 of wow factor. I haven't seen a compelling presentation mode app that will make me buy it just yet.

For my money, my priority on accessories are 1) the case.. though about getting an aftermarket case cheaper, but I think I'll get the HP in case I want to use it with the touchstone later. 2) apps - $75 will buy a lot of apps (when they are available!) 3) keyboard - I don't really see the need for it up front... over time, if I find myself doing a lot of document editing, either online or the "soon to arrive" apps, I may get one 4) Touchstone - I suspect I'll wind up with one sooner or later.
    I'm thinking car mount/charger!
    Global Posts
    610 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LocoTreoGurl View Post
    I'm thinking car mount/charger!
    The key mod would be to put a TouchPad into the dash just like West Coast Customs did for the HP SUV (they used a Slate). And have the back of the hole have the TouchStone coils so it charges when the car is on.
    ebolamonkey3 likes this.
    Response to the OP's question:

Exhibition mode is great as a concept.. havng one app running when you arent using it is brilliant.. however,

How's about having it right there on your desktop, running multiple applications as a second device to your PC/laptop.. apps like another web browser, a calculator/conversion app, definitely your phone app (so you can answer and make calls, hand off), etc..

Having all this on only your PC would hog more resources and, depending on your hardware and its age, it could slow it down.. the TP on its touchstone add so much more computing/communications capability in this one extra device, releasing your primary computing device of those responsiblities, and consequent resource loads.

How's that?

(My Pre+ is just this for me, which is why I can describe it so literally)
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

I can think of a few benefits

no wear and tear on the jack
    no scratches on the body when plugging in the microusb

thats it
    If you ever had a TouchStone you wouldn't ask that question.
    It's so great to don't need a cable anymore.
    And on the TP you can use it as a stand for watching a movie or so.
    If you are just looking for a stand that puts your Touchpad at a good angle for viewing or typing, Targus makes a lucite stand that has slots at two different angles to allow a tablet to stand up. About $15.
    I will not be getting the touchstone, and stopped using it with my Pre about 6 months ago. Why? Decreased battery life due to memory. The repeated charging every night on my Pre, long before it was drained resulted in a 6 hour battery life. I since bought two batteries and swap them out only when they completely die. I now easily get two days out of my Pre.

While I love the convenience of inductive chargers, you have to keep in mind the fact that all rechargeable batteries have memory, despite what marketeers would want you to believe.
    Quote Originally Posted by satterwc View Post
    I will not be getting the touchstone, and stopped using it with my Pre about 6 months ago. Why? Decreased battery life due to memory. The repeated charging every night on my Pre, long before it was drained resulted in a 6 hour battery life. I since bought two batteries and swap them out only when they completely die. I now easily get two days out of my Pre.

While I love the convenience of inductive chargers, you have to keep in mind the fact that all rechargeable batteries have memory, despite what marketeers would want you to believe.
    I've had my pre+ for 1yr and 8mos and it sits on a Touchstone both at work and at home with no such decrease in battery life. The battery has degraded from new (because I've used it daily for 20mos), but can still leave with a full charge for the weekend and unless reception is poor where it continuously searches for signal, not need to charge it.
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    Touchstone makes it so you never have to worry about charging your device. Every time you set it down it's charging!
    I dont thing you understand the ability to wirelessly charge your TP. It also is a great stand for bluetooth keyboards and viewing videos.

Plus it's a great way to display your new toy :-D
    Iím a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
    I made it through all of 2 days before I had to track one down locally.

It sounds totally lame, but I was actually annoyed by the act of having to plug and unplug the device for charging. I've really gotten used to dropping my phone on a Touchstone and glance at it as I go by for notifications.

Besides it looked so pathetic lying there on the counter with a cable sticking out of it like it was on life support.
  19.    #19  
    Well I broke down and later today I will be receiving the TS Dock and Case. I waited until they went on sale (20% instant rebate) and I could get them on discount through my company's HP EPP program (10%), added a $10 off coupon and paid with my Amex which gets me another 5% off the actual charge when the bill shows up. I think I will end up paying under $88 for both shipped (free) but after taxes. Probably would have cost me over $160 after taxes if I had bought them on launch day, so I'm much happier with that price point.
  20. w0z
    One nice feature is the ability to use its exhibition mode as an electronic picture frame. Another is that its slower charging rate is better for battery life than the standard wall charger.
    jedtron likes this.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast