Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by w0z View Post
    One nice feature is the ability to use its exhibition mode as an electronic picture frame. Another is that its slower charging rate is better for battery life than the standard wall charger.
    I thought they charged at the same (or at least similar) rates?
    I have a couple other tablets in cases and never considered buying docks for them over just using the charging cables because in most cases you need to remove the case in order to "dock" them. It's just a pain to remove the case when they are so form fitting almost like trying to get into a wetsuit. With the touchstone, it's so easy just drop it in with the case on. There are a couple orientations that are required for charging but a trivial concern.
    Quote Originally Posted by ebolamonkey3 View Post
    In my experience (phones) the TS charges quicker than plugged into the wall.

I have only plugged in the TP for loading things on the device. I can say when I have been using it heavily and am below 40%, the TS charges the TP QUICKLY.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Global Posts
    511 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Calcmandan View Post
    I can think of a few benefits

no wear and tear on the jack
    no scratches on the body when plugging in the microusb

thats it
    Exactly what i was going to pop in and say(type).

Alot of my Pre- damage came from using the usb port through most of this July. Door came off, port started getting loose, case cracking near the area, etc. Much of the damage came from me blindly/half asleep karate chopping and slapping my night stand until I hit my alarm clock snooze (more than likely hitting either the phone, jack, or cable). My TP charges in the same area so I got a touchstone for the jack protection.
    I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
    Device history: *free feature Phone*x3 -> LG Rumor -> Palm Pre -> HTC Arrive (3days) -> Samsung Nexus S 4G (28 days) -> Samsung Galaxy S II Sprint Epic 4G Touch -> Palm Pre -> Pre 3
    Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    How's about having it right there on your desktop, running multiple applications as a second device to your PC/laptop.. apps like another web browser, a calculator/conversion app, definitely your phone app (so you can answer and make calls, hand off), etc..
    That's how I use my TouchPad. It is my 2nd monitor that displays email from my Exchange account and my meeting schedule when it goes into exhibition mode.
    Quote Originally Posted by hrminer92 View Post
    That's how I use my TouchPad. It is my 2nd monitor that displays email from my Exchange account and my meeting schedule when it goes into exhibition mode.
    how do you get it to display both of these in exhibition (email+calendar)?
    Quote Originally Posted by ninjab View Post
    how do you get it to display both of these in exhibition (email+calendar)?
    Sounds like he has the e-mail app up, then Agenda when it goes into exhibition.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    As mentioned by others, a concern of mine was wearing out the jack and cracking the ultra flimsy housing at the port.

The demo Touchpad where I work at Frys Electronics already has wiggle in the usb and doesnt always charge properly with the cable. Lame.

I have a replacement TP because of a crack by the speaker on the original, and the only time I used the USB was to load PreWare and then another time to install a theme when Prethemer was down.

And I loooove the exhibition mode at night. I have it on facebook and you can turn the brightness waay down so its not lighting up the bedroom. Its perfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by satterwc View Post
    I will not be getting the touchstone, and stopped using it with my Pre about 6 months ago. Why? Decreased battery life due to memory. The repeated charging every night on my Pre, long before it was drained resulted in a 6 hour battery life. I since bought two batteries and swap them out only when they completely die. I now easily get two days out of my Pre.

While I love the convenience of inductive chargers, you have to keep in mind the fact that all rechargeable batteries have memory, despite what marketeers would want you to believe.
    As an electrical engineer who studied various battery technologies, I can tell you that this is just plain wrong. SOME battery types do have memory (NiCad being the famous example). Some battery types have longer life the more you cycle them (Pb-acid). The lithium batteries you see in devices today base their lives on cumulative discharge. If you keep it on the charger, you are prolonging the life because it doesn't discharge as much.

Sorry to hear about your battery problem, but memory is not your issue.

To the OP - getting a Touchstone will make your battery last longer because it won't be discharging unnecessarily while sitting on your desk.
    And I will add to the previous post that no matter what charger you use, you don't have to use it unless you want to charge your device anyway. Nice thing about the touchpad is it never suffers from charger bounce like the pre does. The charger bounce makes me take off the phone from my touchstone as soon as it fully charges.

-- Sent from my Palm TouchPad using Forums
    ...and one last thing.

As I go to sleep during this thunderstorm in atlanta GA, my entertainment center is unplugged as is my laptop and printer, yet my Pre2 and TouchPad will be safely charging.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre 2 using Forums
    I don't have a touchstone yet, but it will be my first accessory purchase for our new Touchpad. Other than the benefits already listed in this thread, here's one that is really important to me. It forces you to have a "place" for the the touchpad. We have young kids and pets and I don't want the touchpad just being left on the coffee table or on the counter where it can easily be damaged or scratched up by a cat jumping up on the counter or a kid accidentally dropping it on the tile. It's simple, when not in use the Touchpad will be in its dock...in the same place every time. Sounds simple enough but it has worked for us and our Harmony remotes or Sonos controller in their charging cradles.
    ^ nice to see all these new precentral members on here with their new touchpads!
    OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    Sounds like he has the e-mail app up, then Agenda when it goes into exhibition.
    that is correct.
    Quote Originally Posted by cflammen View Post
    I don't have a touchstone yet, but it will be my first accessory purchase for our new Touchpad. Other than the benefits already listed in this thread, here's one that is really important to me. It forces you to have a "place" for the the touchpad. We have young kids and pets and I don't want the touchpad just being left on the coffee table or on the counter where it can easily be damaged or scratched up by a cat jumping up on the counter or a kid accidentally dropping it on the tile. It's simple, when not in use the Touchpad will be in its dock...in the same place every time. Sounds simple enough but it has worked for us and our Harmony remotes or Sonos controller in their charging cradles.
    TS is on dresser, when TP gets brought into living room it has a couple safe places to sit away from dogs and beverages. TS is awesome for phones and TP to always have a safe place to rest.
    coughdrops likes this.
    Best Buy threw in a charger to sweeten the deal, so i have one, but I don't use it much. My experience so far has been that the battery lasts two days. Best Buy also threw in a case, which limits how the touchpad goes on the touchstone to a fairly awkward position. I like the case more than the charger. If the battery didn't last so long, I might draw a different conclusion.
  17. w0z
    Quote Originally Posted by ebolamonkey3 View Post
    Not according to this review:

AnandTech - The HP TouchPad Review: webOS on the Big Screen

3 hours 20 minutes for the wall charger versus 4 hours 9 minutes for Touchstone. Lower charging rate should give longer battery life. But I'd totally discharge (until it shuts off internally) at least once per month to avoid memory effect (independent of charge rate).
    lion doesn't have memory.... This is well known
  19. w0z
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    lion doesn't have memory.... This is well known
    Occasional full discharge is not for memory effects but to calibrate the internal capacity gauge...read step 3 below:

Five tips for extending lithium-ion battery life | TechRepublic
    Occasional full discharge is not for memory effects but to calibrate the internal capacity gauge...read step 3 below:

Five tips for extending lithium-ion battery life | TechRepublic
    I was simply using the same terminology you were using, which made it seem you didn't understand what you are now saying.

But I'd totally discharge (until it shuts off internally) at least once per month to avoid memory effect (independent of charge rate).
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast