Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Since both are quite similar (in relation to battery capacity and voltage), has anyone thought about using an iPad car charger for a TouchPad?

There are number of aftermarket models on eBay, and I'm planning on ordering one.

Any thoughts?

//edit: please disregard the iPad comment as I meant a car charger designed for tablets using micro-USB connectors.
    Last edited by Carioca_FL; 06/28/2011 at 05:13 PM. Reason: edited due to brain fart..
    Connector issues
    1 ghz Sprint Pre-
    You must be joking.
  4.    #4  
    Sorry, I shouldn't have used the iPad as an example.

But if the car charger is micro-USB enabled, we should be good, no?

/edit: thanks ijip!
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    i think its micro, not mini usb
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
    I use a car charger with a USB port on it to charge my Phone, iPad and soon Touchpad. As long as it can supply the power needed to charge it should work. I do not see the Touchpad needing more input then the iPad to charge it. So I think almost any Wal-mart car cigarette lighter charger should work fine.

Also...
    Micro-USB is correct
    16 Candles, The Breakfast Club SB, Friday SB, App Catalog Fix, Palm Pre/Pixi - USB Modem, TMC Workaround, SCRIM Changing OTF

The fastest way to install Preware on your WebOS device.
    Put your device in Developer mode.
    From your PC download the Preware installer from http://get.preware.org
    Run the Preware installer while the WebOS device is connected with the USB cable to your PC.
    Vualla Preware is installed.]
    Mini USB Car Charger Adapter 2 Amp For Apple iPad 2 3G - eBay (item 380345455586 end time Jul-06-11 09:57:04 PDT)

Edit: sorry, for some reason I read touchstone instead of touchpad. So my reply wasn't relevant. Well the charger on ebay may still be what your looking for though.
    Last edited by Xethur; 06/28/2011 at 09:28 PM.
  8.    #8  
    Xethur, but wouldn't that work out, though? It's got enough amps (2) to charge an iPad 2 (I need a charger with enough amps, since those designed for iPhones and the like are low powered and would only trickle-charge the TouchPad).

It's got an USB that would allow me to use the USB cord that comes with the TouchPad. Or am looking at this in the wrong way?

Thanks!
    This is the charging kit I'm considering: Gomadic Essential Kit for HP TouchPad
    I see pandas.
  10.    #10  
    I was hoping for something a bit less expensive. $34?
    Quote Originally Posted by Carioca_FL View Post
    I was hoping for something a bit less expensive. $34?
    lol, yeah, that's why I said "considering" instead of "purchased". I'm going to look into the Gomadic interchangeable system to see if it's yet another kewl thing that I buy yet rarely use... hehe.
    I see pandas.
  12.    #12  
    Actually, I rather like this one:

NEW Mini Dual USB Car Charger for iPad 2 (1 & 2.1 amp) | eBay

It's got two USB ports, so instead of having yet another cord, this is simply a cigarette adapter and you bring in your own device's power cord.

Ordered, will provide feedback once I receive it -remind me via PM.
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    I got this in the mail yesterday. Mini USB Car Charger (1 & 2.1 amp) Less than $20 with shipping.

It is nice and small, so when I don't have wires connected, I can close my ashtray lid without even taking the charger out.
  14.    #14  
    They're both the exact same thing, but the eBay item is almost half its price.
    Do either of these work with the TouchPad? The one I ordered from Amazon didn't work.
    Quote Originally Posted by ludvball View Post
    I got this in the mail yesterday. Mini USB Car Charger (1 & 2.1 amp) Less than $20 with shipping.

It is nice and small, so when I don't have wires connected, I can close my ashtray lid without even taking the charger out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Carioca_FL View Post
    Actually, I rather like this one:

NEW Mini Dual USB Car Charger for iPad 2 (1 & 2.1 amp) | eBay

It's got two USB ports, so instead of having yet another cord, this is simply a cigarette adapter and you bring in your own device's power cord.

Ordered, will provide feedback once I receive it -remind me via PM.
    I have been wondering the same thing, but the house charger is 4 amp, I have not located one that puts out that much yet. It would be nice if a 2 amp will do it.
    - Jeff
    Palm Pre- and a 32 GB TouchPad.
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    This is a question that comes up surrounding almost EVERY device out there. The key is the output from the charger in both Volts and Amps. You want to be at the exact numbers for the official charger if you want to be 100 percent sure you don't fry your device.

Laptops are the most likely to get fried by clueless end users who take the charger from their old Dell laptop and try to use it in their new laptop that doesn't require as much power. Just because the connector is the same does not mean that it provides just as much power as the normal charger.

I will give you another example that doesn't cause damage, but clearly shows some differences. I have a Tomtom Go 930. When I use the USB connector to a computer, my GPS goes to sleep, even though it DOES continue to charge. The reason is that the USB ports on a computer do not provide as much power as the car charger that came with it(which keeps it on all the time). Yes, it gives SOME power on the USB, but just not enough to run it fully, so it goes into that sleep mode, even while plugged in.

I am sure that there are specs on the power output of the official Touchpad charger out there to make sure you get something that will do the job PROPERLY, just be warned that not all car chargers that have a USB connector on them will output the exact same output. Remember where people try to use their Touchstone in the car...if you don't get enough power going from the 12V "lighter" jack, or if the car adapter doesn't provide as much power as the normal wall charger that comes with the Touchstone(or Pre/Pre Plus), it may not work the way you want it to.
    I have a car charger adapter that would allow me to use the wall charger that came with my TP in my car. Basically the car charger adapter fits into the cigaratte lighter and has a standard wall plug face that allows you to plug any standard plug into.

Will this work and is there any potential for frying my TP using this?
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PrinceAlbert View Post
    This is the charging kit I'm considering: Gomadic Essential Kit for HP TouchPad
    If you purchase this charging system I would like to know how well it works. The picture shows the cable going into the wrong place on the TP - i.e. the side rather than the bottom.
    I just got my TouchStone today. First thing I did was plug it in to a Verizon dual charger I use for my Pre TouchStone. It has a micro for the legacy TouchStone and a door with a full usb port behind it. I set on my TouchPad and it started charging while my Pre was charging as well, after about 20 minutes the charger shut down. I unplugged it and the old TouchStone and plugged it back in powering only the new one. Has been charging now for about an hour and a half, it is nearly full at this point. Still not sure if I don't want a more powerful solution, but it charges... FYI.
    - Jeff
    Palm Pre- and a 32 GB TouchPad.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast