Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
  1.    #1  
    During the video of Tim Pettitt demoing the TouchPad at the HP Discover event, he indicates that HP has some multi-media secrets they won't be revealing until the launch (reference at 33:30 of the video, but I can't hear the original question(s)).

In my opinion, the TouchPad is DoA without video out. I know it's DoA for me, and it's also confusing as to why the basic functionality is missing from the device, especially since Tim indicates the TouchPad he's using is much different hardware than the original TouchPad shown at the Feb 9th event (reference at 28:12 of the video).

Bluetooth is obviously too slow for HD video transfer, and I'm not sure the micro-USB to HDMI technology exists yet (or maybe ever will), but Wireless N is definitely fast enough to handle it.

The video is from "the gesture pad lives" thread in the TouchPad forum.
    http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...pad-lives.html

If there is no surprise accessory that will allow video out from the device, does anybody other than me think the capability may be intentionally missing to try and avoid competition between the HP TouchPad and HP laptops/netbooks? I believe HP is still truly arrogant enough to believe they can dictate to the market what hardware capabilities tablets might come with.
    I was also wondering about a wireless connection for video out. Seems plausible but won't that then force you to have a compatible device on the other end also?
    I am/was hoping that this would be possible when paired with the Touchstone but it's looking like no video out. For a device built for enterprise as Leo says this is a glaring mistake.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by iowahawk19 View Post
    I was also wondering about a wireless connection for video out. Seems plausible but won't that then force you to have a compatible device on the other end also?
    I'm thinking more along the lines of a sort of TouchPad router device. The device itself can be placed next to the monitor/TV and connected via a short HDMI cable. The TouchPad sends it's video data via wireless N to the router device, which then forwards the information to the display.

This would be significantly superior to any wired HDMI cable that would connect directly to the tablet because you could be 20 or more feet away from the monitor you were displaying.

It's critical functionality for a tablet. Absolutely critical so if it's missing, it must be intentionally missing or I have no option but to feel HP/Palm's development teams are absolutely incompetent.
    I also hope HP has some honest and innovative tricks up their sleeve when it comes to video output. I'd love to play video directly from my Touchpad to a Dock or interface that accepts these broadcasts via Bluetooth or WIFI and then outputs HDMI or otherwise.

Don't see it happening, but you never know and as reported earlier HP has some things up their sleeves. Sorli...
    I can't wait to find out what is up their sleeves. I hope there really is something there! No video out is bad. It needs to be a simple yet elegant solution. Being wireless is becoming a selling point of webOS and I think this needs to be also.
    nah there won't be anything like that. it's a downfall of poor design decision similar to no microSD or extra standard usb port. Don't get me wrong i'm getting one ASAP but it could have used some niceties... Maybe higher res being enterprise and all. BUT who am i to know the mind of the hp machine I'm just a power user
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilKell View Post
    I'm thinking more along the lines of a sort of TouchPad router device. The device itself can be placed next to the monitor/TV and connected via a short HDMI cable. The TouchPad sends it's video data via wireless N to the router device, which then forwards the information to the display.

This would be significantly superior to any wired HDMI cable that would connect directly to the tablet because you could be 20 or more feet away from the monitor you were displaying.

It's critical functionality for a tablet. Absolutely critical so if it's missing, it must be intentionally missing or I have no option but to feel HP/Palm's development teams are absolutely incompetent.
    Wireless HDMI is VERY expensive, currently ranging from $150 (cheap, not complete) to very expensive $800 and over (muych more reliable).

Having said that, IF HP had found a way to provide an accessory wireless N reciever with an HDMI-out cable connection that is portable, at least they will have been able to sneak this into the feature list without anyone knowing by watching even the latest device demos.

On the other hand, they could also just plug a proprietary "USB to HDMI" cable converter into the TP's USB port they have already shown..
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    i think they will release a usb to hdmi cable with a software update hopefully within six months. i cant imagine that they have it ready for release. but who knows?
    ideally for me i would love to hook up an hdmi cable on the touchstone and just place the TP on is and it just streams, that would be awesome -=D
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
    If they can make a USB to HDMI cable work from the TouchPad couldn't it be at least 'dreamable' to have a two headed cable that plugs into the Touch Stone.

Power from the wall to USB on the Touch Stone that splits coming back from the Touch Stone with USB to HDMI.

Now how do we transfer the image through the Touch Stone to the cable...?
    I'm hoping for a usb to hdmi cable coming in the box. HDMI/video out of some sort is also a huge requirement for me. If it doesnt have it I'll probably end up having to look at android for my needs.

HDMI and USB host capabilities are both huge for me, I hope they do announce something at launch (or preorder date), if not I love webOS but these are basic requirements.

Should also note that I want HDMI rather than DLNA, a lot of the screens I work with do not have DLNA yet
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Was going to buy my parents a Touchpad but with no video-out they miss out on some of the tablets intended usage.
    Treo 180 270 600 650 Centro Pre Pr3 tPad tPad4G
    Quote Originally Posted by pavvento View Post
    I am/was hoping that this would be possible when paired with the Touchstone but it's looking like no video out. For a device built for enterprise as Leo says this is a glaring mistake.
    I completely agree. By not having video out contradicts "built for the enterprise". The amazing thing is the decision was intentional and when asked about it at HP Discover during a WebOS Q&A, they responded with "This is the question we have received more than anything and there are no plans for video out."

Again, I think it contradicts the push to the enterprise. They did so many other good things for the business community and to leave this off is actually pretty amazing - and short sighted. I know my manager was going to get these for his staff, but when he got the confirmation on no video out he said this eliminates the need for a Touchpad. Now we cannot give presentations, show excel spreadsheets, product demo/videos from this device. A major hole for any sales force that was considering these.

Also, if a device is made available that I have to cart with me and plug into, that is also a negative. Just put the damn hdmi out on the device. everyone else figured it out and you are last to market. Amazing really.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midway99 View Post
    I completely agree. By not having video out contradicts "built for the enterprise". The amazing thing is the decision was intentional and when asked about it at HP Discover during a WebOS Q&A, they responded with "This is the question we have received more than anything and there are no plans for video out."
    can you provide a video or a news article that states this? not doubting you just want the proof. pics or it didnt happen.
    Global Posts
    834 Global Posts
    Heck i would have also liked a VGA port on the thing as well. 95% of our projectors are vga only, and typically are roof mounted in meeting rooms and conference rooms and connected by a very long cable (often over the max hdmi spec). I know you can buy adapters but it is one more thing to carry.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfireball5 View Post
    can you provide a video or a news article that states this? not doubting you just want the proof. pics or it didnt happen.
    Nope, so I guess it didn't happen.
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    Micro-USB is not capable of producing video out. There are NO micro-USB to video out cables and there will never be any. The only option the TouchPad has was stated earlier with a wireless adaptor, which has not been even hinted at by HP.

No video out for TouchPad version 1, don't hold your breath, don't get your hopes up, sorry, not gonna happen.
    right, let's hope v2 and possibly the 7" version have it.
    HP will be making webos smartboards, projectors, and tvs in addition to the toaster. lol
    Last edited by champiful; 06/13/2011 at 01:03 AM. Reason: additions
    Global Posts
    834 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by i2y4n View Post
    Micro-USB is not capable of producing video out. There are NO micro-USB to video out cables and there will never be any.
    That is not true. The Samsung Infuse and Galaxy 2 both feed video over micro-USB via the use of an MHL (Mobile High-Definition Link) adapter. The infuse ships with the adapter included (don't know about the galaxy 2). The HTC Sensation and the HTC Flyer tablet are also MHL-capable.

Obviously the device needs to be capable of feeding the video over the USB port, you cannot simply connect an MHL adapter to any micro-USB port and get video over it. It needs to be an MHL-capable device. I have not heard anyone say the touchpad is MHL-capable. I am guessing it is not something that can simply be done over any micro-USB in software, there has to be some kind of physical connection inside the device.

Most reviews of these devices have actually been critical of MHL because (by comparison to devices with micro-HDMI ports on them) they require a power source to feed video over HDMI. THis is odd, since HDMI can feed power as well, though don't know if all devices actually do this.

Most MHL adapters are a small rectangular box with both an HDMI port and a port for a micro-USB charger, connected to a short cable that plugs into micro-USB.

A random google search turned up this image of an MHL adapter, from this vendor. There were a lot of them actually but this one showed the connectors better.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast