Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilKell View Post
    It's nice to know you take your PS3 on flights. I don't think many people do. Also, how are you connecting the TouchPad to the PS3 without a cable? I need to understand this TTS capability your PS3 uses to sync with the TouchPad.
    i'm afraid i've missed the point?
    your original statement reflected users who want to hook up their touchpad to their television. It did not say anything related to a flight.. but why would I use my touchpad on a flight to a smaller screen?

I don't need to connect my touchpad to my ps3 through a cable. A ps3 is wireless. A laptop is synced through a media server and it streams wirelessly. Providing the touchpad will have those capabilities that's how it can be done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midway99 View Post
    Did you attend last weeks HP Discover event in Vegas? If so, were you at every Q&A tied to WebOS?
    irrelevant. Not sure why your beating around the bush but forget i asked.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfireball5 View Post
    irrelevant. Not sure why your beating around the bush but forget i asked.
    how am I beating around the bush? I didn't walk around Discover for 3.5 days with a video camera or tape recorder to capture everything. I sat and listened. I know we live in a ADD nation, but I actually took notes. Wild concept I know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midway99 View Post
    how am I beating around the bush? I didn't walk around Discover for 3.5 days with a video camera or tape recorder to capture everything. I sat and listened. I know we live in a ADD nation, but I actually took notes. Wild concept I know.
    that's great! I'm glad to hear it! just hearing something like that coming from a single person on precentral should almost always be taken with a grain of salt. if some others would confirm that they heard what you said i wouldn't have such a hard time believing you.

like i said before, forget what i asked. its really not that big of a deal for me. I'll be getting a touchpad on launch day anyway.

sorry to have ruffled your feathers.
  5.    #45  
    Quote Originally Posted by kjb86 View Post
    i'm afraid i've missed the point?
    your original statement reflected users who want to hook up their touchpad to their television. It did not say anything related to a flight.. but why would I use my touchpad on a flight to a smaller screen?

I don't need to connect my touchpad to my ps3 through a cable. A ps3 is wireless. A laptop is synced through a media server and it streams wirelessly. Providing the touchpad will have those capabilities that's how it can be done.
    I gotcha. I was also talking about using my TouchPad for Netflix access while traveling at hotels and things like that as well as just using it essentially as a Roku box at home for one of the TVs.

I don't know about the likelihood of the TouchPad having Media Server functionality. I haven't investigated the likelihood of that at all. The iPad's don't work to the best of my google searches, and I couldn't find anything about the Xoom doing it either, but I didn't spend much time on it. I did see a bunch of PS3 controllers plugged into the Xoom, though, haha.

If the PS3 is able to connect to the TouchPad, that might be an interesting solution to many people.
    Global Posts
    90 Global Posts
    Furthermore, my concern is HDCP - if HP doesn't nail the handshake, it will create a lot more problems than they/we want to deal with. I want my HDMI implemented properly - not through some gimmicky passive USB conversion process.
    I suspect HP is looking at Wi-Fi Direct technology and a simple HDMI reciever plugged into a tv or projector would allow the TouchPad to still remain wireless. HP just launched a mouse that uses Wi-Fi Direct, so to me it's foreseeable that Wi-Fi Direct is the next killer feature for webOS.
    See HP Wi-Fi Mouse here --> HP ships $50 WiFi Mobile Mouse, gives your Bluetooth radio a break -- Engadget
    Quote Originally Posted by Downtime500 View Post
    I suspect HP is looking at Wi-Fi Direct technology and a simple HDMI reciever plugged into a tv or projector would allow the TouchPad to still remain wireless. HP just launched a mouse that uses Wi-Fi Direct, so to me it's foreseeable that Wi-Fi Direct is the next killer feature for webOS.
    See HP Wi-Fi Mouse here --> HP ships $50 WiFi Mobile Mouse, gives your Bluetooth radio a break -- Engadget
    My hopes are here too. A wired output from a tablet seems like moving backwards. HP can do it, they know how to send video wirelessly. HP Wireless TV Connect with WHDI | HP® Official Store
  9.    #49  
    ...and as time passes, we creep towards the launch on Friday with no verification one way or the other of video out potential on the TouchPad. Either HP is skirting the issue entirely, trying to avoid the lack of a critical function or they're trying to be "cute" by waiting until the launch to confirm or deny the capability.
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    ...and as time passes, we creep towards the launch on Friday with no verification one way or the other of video out potential on the TouchPad. Either HP is skirting the issue entirely, trying to avoid the lack of a critical function or they're trying to be "cute" by waiting until the launch to confirm or deny the capability.
    There is nothing to talk about. No way do companies ever list the features that their products do not support. Don't get your hopes up. The only possibility would be some kind of wireless device that the Touchpad would stream to.

Maybe try to get a grassroots campaign going to convince an accessory company, or a company like linksys, to make something that will work.
    If TP is aiming to be a big player in the enterprise market, it needs to have video out (be it HDMI or display port or whatever). Even with an advanced wireless video stream feature/accessory, who's gonna mess with all that?

Here's a typical situation at work (and I work in IT). Ppl walk into a conference room that has a large flatscreen or projector. There's usually a VGA cable dangling from it. The person with a laptop plugs the cable it into the laptop then turns on the dual screen functionality on the laptop. Wah lah. The meeting starts. This is as easy and complicated as it should be. Who wants to mess with all the external this and accessory that? Think typical users that have work issued laptops (and now tablets) who wants to share a powerpoint deck. They are not Geek Squad nerds. Plus if you have an accessory, now you're asking the IT dept to make an extra investment in hardware which could sway the IT director's decision to stay within budget.
    Last edited by laoh; 06/27/2011 at 06:16 PM.
  12.    #52  
    Lack of microUSB to HDMI video out capability for the TouchPad is confirmed. The only options at this point would be some sort of wireless accessory or media server. Since nothing has been said about either, I think it's fair to say the TouchPad has no video out capability, and HP sucks at life.
    pavvento and dcbo89 like this.
    Lack of microUSB to HDMI video out capability for the TouchPad is confirmed. The only options at this point would be some sort of wireless accessory or media server. Since nothing has been said about either, I think it's fair to say the TouchPad has no video out capability, and HP sucks at life.
    I really do have to agree that this was the single most disappointing bit of any review I read. Then the launcher but that has a chance of being fixed.
  14.    #54  
    I know it. Seriously. HP had multiple hardware versions which were built for testing since February 9th. That was over 4 months ago, and they couldn't manage to hear the outcry over video out during that timeframe? It doesn't matter if the HDMI out isn't ready yet in the software. A software update within the first couple months would have been fine.

I was hoping so hard HP wasn't this stupid. I really wanted to be able to buy a TouchPad.
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Downtime500 View Post
    I look no further than the AppleTV and such. I mean, we may not have every single accessory we want right at launch, but that's a lot to expect, IMO.

The AppleTV 2 was released several months after the original iPad. iOS 4.3 brought with it "AirPlay", which allowed you to stream from the TouchPad to the AppleTV 2. Note, the AppleTV 2 is just a small box that has HDMI and optical out on the back, and runs a version of iOS. Apple also has an online video store integrated with the AppleTV, along with other apps like Netflix, etc.

Now think about HP and how they want to get WebOS all over the place. Certainly they could create a device similar to the AppleTV with HDMI out. Runs a version of WebOS. Provides access to HP's forthcoming video store. Allows you to stream video from the TouchPad to the device. Can run other apps like Hulu+ and Netflix. You get the idea.

Honestly, in a corporate environment and otherwise, I prefer streaming content wirelessly to my TV rather than using an HDMI cable. It works beautifully on the iPad. Only advantage of running a direct HDMI cable to a TV is not having to power a box like the AppleTV.

This isn't far fetched at all in my mind-- but HP has to take this one step at a time. I don't expect them to roll this out concurrent with the TouchPad. But who knows.
    I'd think more along the lines of a webOS TV App, similar to NetFlix, etc apps that I have on my LG.
    I see pandas.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    THIS! Would be the real use for enterprise, everyone talking about video out and HDMI, enterprise would use VGA more than HDMI. I can't think of 1 place in my work where you can hook up to a projector via HDMI (and I am the guy that is always in charge of setting up the media interface for whatever meeting we are doing).
    You're the AV guy! I always wanted to be the AV guy at school...you got to get out of class...roam the halls (as long as you were pushing an AV cart) at will, visit the equipment room...cool stuff!
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

Global Posts
    818 Global Posts
    To be honest, it sounds like a DLNA server homebrew project should be reasonably straightforward to port, say Serviio. Since they already have ported web and ssh servers, this doesn't seem that hard.

However, this will only serve to DLNA clients and only handle video and audio streaming (and assumes that you're talking to a DLNA client).

If the platform has the right hooks, it might be possible to stream the tablet display as well for presentations. However, if the device requires transcoding or video processing this could be a real battery eater.
    Palm III->Palm IV->Palm V->M130->Tungsten->Treo 270->Treo 600->Treo 700->Palm Pre Plus->FrankenPre 2->Pre 3 & TouchPad
    I guess I dont understand the point of this. I consider the TP to be used to consume media, not host it. Except for like business/presentations, but not so much video.

As far as videos, if I want to share something outside my house, I would put it on something smaller like a flash drive or phone. Thats much easier to carry around or hook up somewhere. And if I want to share something around my house, I would just use my desktop as the media server but would stream to my TV.

Is the idea just the convenience of having as many devices able to stream as possible?

Incidentally, this is a similar argument of why I'd rather have a good HD camera on my phone instead of a tablet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockbeast View Post
    You're the AV guy! I always wanted to be the AV guy at school...you got to get out of class...roam the halls (as long as you were pushing an AV cart) at will, visit the equipment room...cool stuff!
    To be honest I studied audio/video/film bout half a lifetime ago, not it's just the result of working with people 20 years older than me that have no real idea how technology works.

Quote Originally Posted by capt4chris View Post
    And if I want to share something around my house, I would just use my desktop as the media server but would stream to my TV.
    Problem is, even people around here (especially the trolls) either haven't figured that our yet or like to act like they haven't figured that out yet. Is is easy to share media (especially in your own house if you are into tech), but some folks act like/think that it's the hardest thing in the world without a 500+ tablet with HDMI out (to go into a TV of equal cost or better).
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast