Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 66
Like Tree3Likes
  1. #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by aapold View Post
    That is not true. The Samsung Infuse and Galaxy 2 both feed video over micro-USB via the use of an MHL (Mobile High-Definition Link) adapter. The infuse ships with the adapter included (don't know about the galaxy 2). The HTC Sensation and the HTC Flyer tablet are also MHL-capable.
    Thanks and very interesting. This would be fantastic and hopefully HP is thinking outside the box! I'm hopeful they "pull the rabbit out of the hat!!!"

    Lets see some magic HP! Sorli...
  2. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by Midway99 View Post
    Nope, so I guess it didn't happen.
    ah, guess it didn't then.
  3. #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfireball5 View Post
    ah, guess it didn't then.
    then again, I love coming out here and making stuff up. I know it's a great use of my time.
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by Midway99 View Post
    then again, I love coming out here and making stuff up. I know it's a great use of my time.
    eh, to each his own i guess.

    but really, I'm sure it was said somewhere... i just wanted to see where you read or heard it.
  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by pavvento View Post
    I am/was hoping that this would be possible when paired with the Touchstone but it's looking like no video out. For a device built for enterprise as Leo says this is a glaring mistake.
    I also recall talk months ago about using connections on the touchstone to stream audio or video... Was that a hallucination?
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by blinktreo View Post
    I also recall talk months ago about using connections on the touchstone to stream audio or video... Was that a hallucination?
    What I remember was a lot of speculation, but there was a thread where a poster said HP talked about video out via Touchstone. I think if that were true we would have heard more about it by now.

    I still can't believe that HP would launch an enterprise device at this price point and not have any type of video out.
  7. lancepr's Avatar
    Posts
    125 Posts
    Global Posts
    251 Global Posts
    #27  
    I would think they would have an App to at least connect to a wireless projector. Would you be wanting to use your touchpad as a media center for your TV? I just do not see this as much of a selling point for many users.
  8.    #28  
    I would be using the touchpad as a media center and a replacement for an old lappy. If you don't believe many users want the ability to export to a TV, I think you're wrong.

    I would love to be able to connect to Wireless network at a hotel (providing I could get a decent connection which is sometimes iffy) and use Netlix from the tablet exported to the TV. My old Gateway lappy has S-Video out, but it only wants to extend the monitor, not switch monitors, and Gateway has blocked me from downloading any updated ATi drivers for my x700 Mobility graphics card. It sucks.
  9. #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfireball5 View Post
    eh, to each his own i guess.

    but really, I'm sure it was said somewhere... i just wanted to see where you read or heard it.
    Did you attend last weeks HP Discover event in Vegas? If so, were you at every Q&A tied to WebOS?
  10. #30  
    What I would really like to see is a wireless video out into something plugged into a standard projector connection. Thus allowing me to walk around with the TouchPad while projecting video!

    Someone make an app for that...
  11. i2y4n's Avatar
    Posts
    278 Posts
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by aapold View Post
    That is not true. The Samsung Infuse and Galaxy 2 both feed video over micro-USB via the use of an MHL (Mobile High-Definition Link) adapter. The infuse ships with the adapter included (don't know about the galaxy 2). The HTC Sensation and the HTC Flyer tablet are also MHL-capable.

    Obviously the device needs to be capable of feeding the video over the USB port, you cannot simply connect an MHL adapter to any micro-USB port and get video over it. It needs to be an MHL-capable device. I have not heard anyone say the touchpad is MHL-capable. I am guessing it is not something that can simply be done over any micro-USB in software, there has to be some kind of physical connection inside the device.

    Most reviews of these devices have actually been critical of MHL because (by comparison to devices with micro-HDMI ports on them) they require a power source to feed video over HDMI. THis is odd, since HDMI can feed power as well, though don't know if all devices actually do this.

    Most MHL adapters are a small rectangular box with both an HDMI port and a port for a micro-USB charger, connected to a short cable that plugs into micro-USB.


    A random google search turned up this image of an MHL adapter, from this vendor. There were a lot of them actually but this one showed the connectors better.
    Micro-USB does NOT support video/audio out capabilities. HTC uses a proprietary port that they created that adds video/audio out as well as audio in to a micro-USB port. The port, called EXT-USB is backwards compatible with micro-USB.
  12. KAPS's Avatar
    Posts
    181 Posts
    Global Posts
    226 Global Posts
    #32  
    If somehow Touchpad does HDMI, I will buy it to replace my laptop.
    But personally how could a tablet made for enterprise miss out video out functionality.
  13. aapold's Avatar
    Posts
    292 Posts
    Global Posts
    834 Global Posts
    #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by i2y4n View Post
    Micro-USB does NOT support video/audio out capabilities. HTC uses a proprietary port that they created that adds video/audio out as well as audio in to a micro-USB port. The port, called EXT-USB is backwards compatible with micro-USB.
    According to the MHL Consortium website, it is not an HTC proprietary port, nor did they create it. The MHL consortium was formed by Nokia, Samsung, Silicon Image, Sony and Toshiba. HTC used it on the sensation and the flyer (and upcoming evo3D), but they were not the first, and it is hardly exclusive to them. If HP wanted to use it I'm sure they could have. The website lists 36 adopters of the tech so far, including foxconn.

    I am looking at an adapter (a samsung one) right now and I cannot tell the difference visually between it and any other micro USB. It will plug into the micro-USB port of my pre+, but obviously does not do anything video-wise (though I can charge over the adapter).

    The spec basically uses 5 pins to carry its data, these are mapped to pins on existing connectors as in the case of micro-USB.

    This is not part of the microUSB (or even USB) spec, it merely uses the pins on those connectors.

    So it might be correct to say that micro USB does not support video out, but it would be incorrect to say that video cannot be done over a micro-USB connector. It would be correct to say that previously existing micro-USB connectors do not support it.. but the touchpad is a new device, and they could have done this if they wanted to on its micro-USB port. (there would have been some royalty involved according to the website.. but in theory less than the cost of including a completely separate mini-HDMI or other port to carry video, at least according to the info on the MHL consortium site). For whatever reason, HP did not think this was important, and I think that this and many other threads on here show that this is something that many customers do consider important.

    I guess some of us were holding out hope that the microUSB port on the touchpad did have something up its sleeve like this, thus allowing it without having been in evidence on devices demoed thus far. But I don't see HP listed as one of the adopters on the website, unless it were via some chineese manufacturer that made some part for HP (I don't now which ones that would be, its not foxconn is it?).

    FWIW this is not entirely new. Before I had a pre+ I had an HTC Fuze, and they sold an A/V adapter for it that allowed you to export composite video (and audio) via its mini-USB connector. But the fuze altered the shape of the connector slightly so that you could plug any mini-USB into it, but cables meant for it specifically could not plug into other mini-USB ports. MHL specifically does not do this, keeping the connector and port physically the same.
    Last edited by aapold; 06/14/2011 at 09:09 AM.
  14.    #34  
    It would probably explain why an external power source is necessary. The micro-USB connector port may not be designed with the ability to push enough power through the connector to support and HDMI connector, I suppose?

    All I can tell you is that HP's lack of understanding about the mobile market is astonishing. At the HP Discover Event, Tim said they had additional multi-media capabilities they weren't going to reveal until launch. That's absolutely stupid. Beyond stupid. It's definitely going to cost them customers, especially when people who were on the fence jump ship and get an iPad2 or Transformer because TouchPad doesn't have basic functionality like video out (or does it, muhahhaa???). Seriously. They need to stop the games and teasing. It was cute back in January. It was old after the February 9th event. It's downright infuriating at this point.

    If it really launches, and there really is no video out, it's clear the decision was intentional. I think a decision like that can only be driven by arrogance and greed. The arrogance of HP thinking it's some major player in the mobile industry and that they'll be able to dictate to consumers what buyers are going to get, and how much buyers are going to pay for it. The greed of trying to prevent direct competition between HP's own Netbooks/Laptops and the TouchPad.
  15. #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by aapold View Post
    Heck i would have also liked a VGA port on the thing as well. 95% of our projectors are vga only, and typically are roof mounted in meeting rooms and conference rooms and connected by a very long cable (often over the max hdmi spec). I know you can buy adapters but it is one more thing to carry.
    THIS! Would be the real use for enterprise, everyone talking about video out and HDMI, enterprise would use VGA more than HDMI. I can't think of 1 place in my work where you can hook up to a projector via HDMI (and I am the guy that is always in charge of setting up the media interface for whatever meeting we are doing).
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
  16. i2y4n's Avatar
    Posts
    278 Posts
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by aapold View Post
    According to the MHL Consortium website, it is not an HTC proprietary port, nor did they create it. The MHL consortium was formed by Nokia, Samsung, Silicon Image, Sony and Toshiba. HTC used it on the sensation and the flyer (and upcoming evo3D), but they were not the first, and it is hardly exclusive to them. If HP wanted to use it I'm sure they could have. The website lists 36 adopters of the tech so far, including foxconn.

    I am looking at an adapter (a samsung one) right now and I cannot tell the difference visually between it and any other micro USB. It will plug into the micro-USB port of my pre+, but obviously does not do anything video-wise (though I can charge over the adapter).

    The spec basically uses 5 pins to carry its data, these are mapped to pins on existing connectors as in the case of micro-USB.

    This is not part of the microUSB (or even USB) spec, it merely uses the pins on those connectors.

    So it might be correct to say that micro USB does not support video out, but it would be incorrect to say that video cannot be done over a micro-USB connector. It would be correct to say that previously existing micro-USB connectors do not support it.. but the touchpad is a new device, and they could have done this if they wanted to on its micro-USB port. (there would have been some royalty involved according to the website.. but in theory less than the cost of including a completely separate mini-HDMI or other port to carry video, at least according to the info on the MHL consortium site). For whatever reason, HP did not think this was important, and I think that this and many other threads on here show that this is something that many customers do consider important.

    I guess some of us were holding out hope that the microUSB port on the touchpad did have something up its sleeve like this, thus allowing it without having been in evidence on devices demoed thus far. But I don't see HP listed as one of the adopters on the website, unless it were via some chineese manufacturer that made some part for HP (I don't now which ones that would be, its not foxconn is it?).

    FWIW this is not entirely new. Before I had a pre+ I had an HTC Fuze, and they sold an A/V adapter for it that allowed you to export composite video (and audio) via its mini-USB connector. But the fuze altered the shape of the connector slightly so that you could plug any mini-USB into it, but cables meant for it specifically could not plug into other mini-USB ports. MHL specifically does not do this, keeping the connector and port physically the same.
    You can throw out every HTC phone your trying to use as a reference, they don't use micro-USB. HTC uses EXT-USB, it is different.

    If the TouchPad used a EXT-USB or MHL connection they would have said so, however they are not. HP is using a micro-USB port and those do not support video out.

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
  17. #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilKell View Post
    I would be using the touchpad as a media center and a replacement for an old lappy. If you don't believe many users want the ability to export to a TV, I think you're wrong.
    See having no HDMI really doesn't phase me one bit.

    If I wanted my TP to sync with my TV, i'd run it through the media centre on my PS3.
    Easy and done with, no cables needed.
  18.    #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by kjb86 View Post
    See having no HDMI really doesn't phase me one bit.

    If I wanted my TP to sync with my TV, i'd run it through the media centre on my PS3.
    Easy and done with, no cables needed.
    It's nice to know you take your PS3 on flights. I don't think many people do. Also, how are you connecting the TouchPad to the PS3 without a cable? I need to understand this TTS capability your PS3 uses to sync with the TouchPad.
  19. #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by kjb86 View Post
    See having no HDMI really doesn't phase me one bit.

    If I wanted my TP to sync with my TV, i'd run it through the media centre on my PS3.
    Easy and done with, no cables needed.
    HTPC FTW

    Quote Originally Posted by EvilKell View Post
    It's nice to know you take your PS3 on flights. I don't think many people do. Also, how are you connecting the TouchPad to the PS3 without a cable? I need to understand this TTS capability your PS3 uses to sync with the TouchPad.
    Uhmm what are you hooking up to with HDMI while on a flight?



    I personally don't see the non enterprise appeal of hooking up a TP via HDMI, which as I said above, for enterprise VGA would be better.

    Now using a TP to control my HTPC I could see getting down with. I actually see more use using the TP in this way, as a media extender from my HTPC/PC so I can control and watch what I want in any room.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
  20. #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by i2y4n View Post
    Micro-USB does NOT support video/audio out capabilities. HTC uses a proprietary port that they created that adds video/audio out as well as audio in to a micro-USB port. The port, called EXT-USB is backwards compatible with micro-USB.
    This is one (of many) reasons Apple has their proprietary 30-pin connector, which many don't realize.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions