Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Just speculating here, but it might not. And if it did, it might be more than twice as slow, even though it puts out half the power. That would be pretty undesirable. 6300mAh at 3.7 volts is 23.3 Wh. So a 10W charger would take 2.3 hours, assuming 100% efficiency. Let's assume about 1W is lost to heat and the basic function of the TP. So 9W for charging yields a charge time of 2.6 hours. The standard Pre charger puts out 5W. Assuming 1W of loss as before, we have 4 W for charging, which yields a charge time of 5.8 hours.

That's a long time. So even if it does work, it'd be REALLY slow.
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    As far as cases go... I'm also pretty sure I heard Tim Pettitt say in that they released the device specs out to a lot of 3rd party manufactures to be able to offer other options for cases. It's a long video and I didn't want to sift through it... but I'm pretty sure I heard that (if anyone feels like watching it).
    That's what he said.

One benefit of the HP case is that it is supposed to be thin enough to allow for charging on the touchstone without removing the case.
    If the charger situation is anything like the iPhone and iPad, a Pre/Pixi/Veer AC charger will charge the TouchPad, but only when it's off, and very slowly at that. It doesn't supply enough juice to power the device and charge the battery at the same time.

The TouchPad charger should also be backwards compatible with the phones, but don't expect faster charge times there.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Global Posts
    926 Global Posts
    I played with a friends iPad which had the same type of "foldy" cover and when it was closed over the screen it turned it off. (not shut down but put to sleep) Will the TPs do this as well?
    I don't think so. The iPad only does that (to my knowledge) with the smart cover, not a case.
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    Just speculating here, but it might not. And if it did, it might be more than twice as slow, even though it puts out half the power. That would be pretty undesirable. 6300mAh at 3.7 volts is 23.3 Wh. So a 10W charger would take 2.3 hours, assuming 100% efficiency. Let's assume about 1W is lost to heat and the basic function of the TP. So 9W for charging yields a charge time of 2.6 hours. The standard Pre charger puts out 5W. Assuming 1W of loss as before, we have 4 W for charging, which yields a charge time of 5.8 hours.

That's a long time. So even if it does work, it'd be REALLY slow.
    A 5W device won't create the same amount of resistance or heat as a 10W device.

Just like how you can charge a car battery with a 1amp trickle charger or a 30amp charger, the TouchPad should take a charge from the Pre/Pixi chargers. It just won't charge all that fast.
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilKell View Post
    A 5W device won't create the same amount of resistance or heat as a 10W device.

Just like how you can charge a car battery with a 1amp trickle charger or a 30amp charger, the TouchPad should take a charge from the Pre/Pixi chargers. It just won't charge all that fast.
    So it'll work in a jam but isnt ideal.
    I too think the pricetags are a bit up there but hoping that there will be preorder discounts for accessories. Best Buy gave me 2 free acessories for my launch day sprint pre.
    Try diplomacy first. You can always conquer them later...

www.webos-internals.org, read it, use it, love it, and donate to it.....
    @addiarmadar That would be awesome. Even if it was just a discount. $40 for a Touch Stone instead of $80!

I'm not sure how much I would use the keyboard. I'll often use the TouchPad away from a desk or table anyway.
    I expect heavy discounts to kick in within a month of launch but I won't hold my breath for launch weekend.
    I asked my 'rep' about a pre-order package deal and he only said, nothing has been announced yet. But I also asked him what kind of discount I could get by trading my Palm V, 6035,7135, 650 and wx in, and he did not find that humorous and said cc only, not even PP. Then I got no response to an affictionado discount for someone who had been dedicated so long.

I believe that HP is big enough and has enough markets, that they will not discount soon, but I also believe that they are big enough and do not understand the webOS market and its believers to properly take care of long term users and developers with something special.
    Amazon has the touchstone for $66.66 right now. It says out of stock right now, but they still let you order it for that price.

Amazon.com: HP Touchstone Charging Dock USB Docking Station FB339AA#ABA: Electronics
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12