Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree2Likes
    From my experience, the TP charges in both portrait and landscape orientation with the official TP cover on, including having the flap over and/or under the TP while in the Touchstone. If it's under, it just doesn't not sit as well as it should especially in portrait mode. Landscape is a little better but I feel like it's tugging on the flap and may cause it to rip over time. The flap is somewhat annoying when not under the TP especially when on the Touchstone. The good new also is that exhibition mode works for both orientation and orientates them correctly.
    Global Posts
    279 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sherwin892 View Post
    From my experience, the TP charges in both portrait and landscape orientation with the official TP cover on, including having the flap over and/or under the TP while in the Touchstone. If it's under, it just doesn't not sit as well as it should especially in portrait mode. Landscape is a little better but I feel like it's tugging on the flap and may cause it to rip over time. The flap is somewhat annoying when not under the TP especially when on the Touchstone. The good new also is that exhibition mode works for both orientation and orientates them correctly.

Took the words right out of my mouth. I have the exact same observations.
    Hello Everyone,
    great discussion about Touchpad.
    I just got my case and got my Touchstone yesterday. It does work great through the case in landscape mode. It stays in place perfectly even though just the flap is sitting on the bottom lip of the Touchstone.

In portrait, it CHARGES, but the Touchpad quickly falls off the bottom lip of the Touchstone. It still continues to charge, but it's not actually on the Touchstone anymore. Not a solution, as far as I'm concerned.

I wouldn't mind this so much, as while on the Touchstone, I prefer it to be in landscape mode. However, a lot of Mojo apps, and more importantly, Skype calls, are forced to be in portrait mode.
    I have found if I play with the flap enough it will stay on the stand in portrait mode. Usually I get frustrated and either close the flap or leave it to the side (but then it ends up blocking the Veer on it's TS).
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    I have found the touchpad with the case on is very difficult to keep on the touchstone while in portrait. Good thing it does continue to charge or my battery would have died several times.
    Quote Originally Posted by cainam View Post
    I have found the touchpad with the case on is very difficult to keep on the touchstone while in portrait. Good thing it does continue to charge or my battery would have died several times.
    Yeah, portrait mode + HP case + Touchstone = super clunky. I have just given up on that charging position and only do landscape now.
    i called hp touchpad support after i found that my touchpad with case became hot in touchstone; i disconnected everything from ac outlet to cool off all components; hp touchpad support advised not to have touchpad in case while charging in touchstone;
    after cool down period(15 mins of webos update) touchpad was recharged 100% in touchstone; no damage to touchpad or touchstone found. hopefully heat did not lower mtbf of touchstone or touchpad.
    How do we secure this flapping front cover - that seems to be quite a thing - did someone else confirm it being able to charge in the same time while the case is actually folded back the case (2 layers)?

Everything looks good with the case except for no strap or band to keep the thing secure when closed. Since I don't have the case with me - how well "insulation / shielding" of the TP case?
    Just got the case and the touchstone. BB Had all accessories for 50% off and if you bought 4 or more accessories they chopped off another 20%

Touchstone Charging Dock - $31.99 + Tax
    HP Case - $19.99 + Tax
    HP Touchpad Keyboard - $27.99 + Tax

Anyway the case has some major shortcomings. The flap is real annoying when trying to mount on the touchstone. It would have been fine if it could charge the other way in landscape mode with the flap going up. Material wise it's ok, but the fact that the front flap is not secured does not instil confidence.
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Flashpass View Post
    Here is the deal with this. The Touchstone charger only functions properly in one landscape orientation, and that is with the card button on the right with the speakers pointing downward. The issue with this as you may have noticed is that with the case on, you cannot simply fold the flap over the top of the touchpad as he did in the HP Discover event video. If you pay attention, he later folds the flap around the back of the device and sets it on the touchstone in the other direction, same thing in that second link. So basically the point is that if you want to use exhibition mode with the case on and use the touchstone, you'll need to fold it flat along the back. I believe it still charges through the two layers, it just won't sit as nicely on the bottom lip of the TS.
    Correct, but it does work in this fashion. As on original owner of TP, I too was a little taken back by this. However, when you fold the case backward and place it on the touchstone, the crease sets nicely in the lip of the touchstone... and the charge is conducted through both layers the same as if it were not folded back. No video, but this is from ture experience.
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zoglog View Post
    It would have been fine if it could charge the other way in landscape mode with the flap going up.
    This has everything to do with the speaker location and the fact they are stereo speakers. There are other discussions in this forum specifically on this topic.
    i can also confirm mine works. it charges very nicely and the exhibition mode is pretty cool
    Quote Originally Posted by padiwan View Post
    i called hp touchpad support after i found that my touchpad with case became hot in touchstone; i disconnected everything from ac outlet to cool off all components; hp touchpad support advised not to have touchpad in case while charging in touchstone;
    after cool down period(15 mins of webos update) touchpad was recharged 100% in touchstone; no damage to touchpad or touchstone found. hopefully heat did not lower mtbf of touchstone or touchpad.
    If you are charging your TP on the TS with your case overnight. Don't forget to hit the power button one more time after it opens up Exhibition Mode. Hitting the power button one extra time turns off the screen completely. This helps for long charges and over heating.
    got my third party case today, gonna see how well it charges on the touchstone.

I've been using my TP with a 3rd party case from dealextreme (50960) on the TS for over a month now with no problems. But, now that I upgraded to 3.0.4 it doesn't work anymore, now need to take the case off before the TP will recognises that it is on the TS and begin charging. I've tried both orientations.
    Has anyone else noticed this?
    yea, they lowered the sensitivity of the touchpad connecting with the touchstone. My touchpad won't charge with the flap folded back anymore. I'm using a third party case as well. I've read ppl with the hp case weren't having issues.
    After the upgrade to 3.0.4 my touchpad won't charge any more with the flap folded backwards although it's the HP one. Can the sensibility be changed?
    Quote Originally Posted by uprisingchuns View Post
    yea, they lowered the sensitivity of the touchpad connecting with the touchstone. My touchpad won't charge with the flap folded back anymore. I'm using a third party case as well. I've read ppl with the hp case weren't having issues.
    presumably it is to increase the battery life.... Fair trade I guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    To all of the doubters, here is a picture of my TouchPad being charged through 2 layers of the case, note there is no USB cable plugged into my TouchPad but the battery indicator shows it being charged. Does anyone still want to bet?
    It does work... but makes me wonder is the tablet stable physically?

I use mine as a photo frame so I don't want the flap to be lying in front, but then I also don't want my tablet shattered on the ground the next morning.

PS- the case smells pretty bad out of the box... very strong plastic/paint thinner smell.
    Last edited by ToniCipriani; 10/21/2011 at 08:37 PM.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123