Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    Finally bought a brand-spankin' new Touchstone including the USB and outlet plug, the whole kit, and brand new batteries for my Palm Pre (Sprint). Thought maybe this would fix my phone's inductive charging problem where it will ping every so often on the Touchstone as if it's not connected properly. Everything's nice and snug for charging...but noooooo...it still freakin' pings!!! So what the hell?! I ask you?! So annoying and money lost! What is the deal?! Is there a fix because my patience with this phone is thin. I read though the forum posts, but there's no real honest to goodness explanation. Help! I'm going down for the third and last time...
    does it only ping once?

Are you sure it's snug? place slightly above the final resting position and let gravity move it down into position with a firm snap.

and try the patch that includes a workaround for this. and try using a but of paper between the phone and the touchstone.

before you panic, we have to isolate the issue. You could even go so far as to take it all in to sprint and swap parts with a refurb to validate which parts aren't behaving.
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    does it only ping once?

Are you sure it's snug? place slightly above the final resting position and let gravity move it down into position with a firm snap.

and try the patch that includes a workaround for this. and try using a but of paper between the phone and the touchstone.

before you panic, we have to isolate the issue. You could even go so far as to take it all in to sprint and swap parts with a refurb to validate which parts aren't behaving.
    I wouldn't say "snap" but the phone is very secure on the Touchstone. It almost immediately pings "charging". I've had this issue for some time now. My phone'll be two years old in August. Possibly time to move on from Pre-ville.
    There seems to be compatibility problems between the backcover and the TS.
    My first TS did the same. I got a new one and the clerk told me this is a known problem.
    I think you need a different backcover or TS. Go back to where you bought the TS and try another one until you find one which fits.
    its suposed to "ping" once. Does it keep doing it every few seconds? Details make it easier to troubleshoot. And answering the questions I posed will also be helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by JAROAM View Post
    I wouldn't say "snap" but the phone is very secure on the Touchstone. It almost immediately pings "charging". I've had this issue for some time now. My phone'll be two years old in August. Possibly time to move on from Pre-ville.
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    After I place the Pre on the Touchstone, it pings. Then some time goes by and it will ping at various intervals almost as if it's falling off the Touchstone, which it is not, it is as snug as when first placed. The only thing I haven't tried is replacing the back cover of the Pre, but, seriously, really?!?!
    You may be able to fix tis by cleaning the contacts on the back cover, and the pads they hit. I think you can use isopropyl alcohol to do this.

If tis is the case you may me able to get better contact by putting a piece of paper on the touchstone as a shim. If this works its likely it is these contacts.
    I'm having a similar issue that's developed recently. The Pre Plus will sit on the touchstone and sometimes start chain pinging and sometimes it won't. I've tried cleaning the contacts but that didn't fix the problem. I've tried all my touchstones and it's the same, sometimes it happens sometimes it doesn't. When it happens re-seating it never seems to work. The paper shim hasn't worked either.

Think I can get Verizon to give me a Pre 2 because of this?
    Orion...same exact thing has been happening to me. I have three touchstones (home, work, car) and it happens on all of them. I'm also having moments where my pre won't charge at all on TS, I have to plug directly into the phone.

I have Verizon, pre+.
    separate problem:

Touchstone was intermittent and then quit working. I changed the Palm plug that goes into wall. It immediately started working again.
    I have not tested the old Palm plug yet without the Touchstone.

my theory: I might have tripped on the cord from the Touchstone to the plug one-too-many times and something got loose in the plug itself.
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by somline View Post
    There seems to be compatibility problems between the backcover and the TS.
    My first TS did the same. I got a new one and the clerk told me this is a known problem.
    I think you need a different backcover or TS. Go back to where you bought the TS and try another one until you find one which fits.
    This worked for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by JAROAM View Post
    The only thing I haven't tried is replacing the back cover of the Pre, but, seriously, really?!?!
    As I understand it, when this happens the back cover is more likely to be the cause of the problem than the TS, so you probably should have replaced that first.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    As I experience it, if I leave my Pre+ on the charger, it eventually reaches 100%, and then things get wonky. I have the charge ping turned off, but I can see the charging banner flashing on and off at the bottom of the screen. I figure that the device once it drains down from 100% reestablishes it link with the TS. The 100/disconnect/<100/connect cycle can happen multiple times a minute. I figure it is normal, and why I take my phone off the TS once it is at 100%...
    Of the six Touchstones I've bought for my husband's and my Pre-s, three work just fine and three "flap" on the order of once every second or two (including the two that just arrived from Amazon today). Adding in a bit of business card has never helped. In our case I blame the connectors in the Touchstones.

Regarding the patch to turn off the "Charging Battery" notification, I don't think I'd apply it in this situation. I don't want to use a flat out faulty charging device and I especially don't want to be using one and not know it.