Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    776 Global Posts

FastMac | Product - U-Socket

So, I bought one of these, seeing how it puts out 2.4 A @ 5 V. Perfect for the touchstone, which only needs 1 A @ 5 V.

I recieved the first plug in February, and after I installed it. It does not work with the Touchstone. I called and had another one sent to me thinking it was somehow defective. I installed the second one today and it does the same thing. Nothing.

Anyone else buy one of these? Anyone know why it doesn't work? Their tech support has no idea either
    VZW Pre 2 on 2.1

Thanks webOS Internals!

@thereddestdog
    it needs to put out 1000mA to drive the touchstone. Check uour specs and i'll bet its 500 or less, which is what a laptop us port puts out.
    Well the specs say it puts out up to 2.4A (total for the two USB ports).

However, I seem to remember someone saying that two of the lines needed to be shorted out to signal that it is delivering that higher power signal. I think the Palm AC adapter does it in the adapter, but you can also just modify a USB cable for that.

There's a thread from a long time ago that would have more info, but I don't remember what it was called.
    Just a small advice, when the Pre sees that the data cables are not closed, it assumes an USB port. You have to somehow connect the two inner wires of the usb connector to have the Pre/Touchstone assume it's a wall charger.
    Just remember: If I helped you, press the thanks button!

Owner of: Pre Sprint, Pre Telcel, Pre Plus AT&T, Pre 2 Unlocked, Pixi Plus AT&T, and 2 TouchPads (my Pre3 was stolen so it won't appear again here).
    Needs: Veer (anyone?)
    Apps: Subnet Calculator, FreeCam, PhotoFun, NuttyPad (work in progress)
    HomeBrew: meta-doctor and Messaging Plugins collaborator
    Twitter: @cesarneg
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NuttyBunny View Post
    Just a small advice, when the Pre sees that the data cables are not closed, it assumes an USB port. You have to somehow connect the two inner wires of the usb connector to have the Pre/Touchstone assume it's a wall charger.
    Interesting. So even though it is putting out enough power...the device will lock it out if it thinks it is just a USB port?
    Follow me on Twitter : MrKal_El
    Quote Originally Posted by mrkalel View Post
    Interesting. So even though it is putting out enough power...the device will lock it out if it thinks it is just a USB port?
    Exactly. If your charger can throw more power, connect the middle pins in your usb cable, your device will think it's connected to a wall charger and try to draw the full 1000mA from it.

Of course, if it can't it will fallback again.

Owner of: Pre Sprint, Pre Telcel, Pre Plus AT&T, Pre 2 Unlocked, Pixi Plus AT&T, and 2 TouchPads (my Pre3 was stolen so it won't appear again here).
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    What do you recommend is the best way of connecting the pins on the cable?
    What do you recommend is the best way of connecting the pins on the cable?
    I did it inside the ac adapter, that way I can reuse all my cables

Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    I did it inside the ac adapter, that way I can reuse all my cables
    I would love to also, but does it mean I would have to solder it, or is there an easier way?
    Quote Originally Posted by schlk21 View Post

FastMac | Product - U-Socket

So, I bought one of these, seeing how it puts out 2.4 A @ 5 V. Perfect for the touchstone, which only needs 1 A @ 5 V.

I recieved the first plug in February, and after I installed it. It does not work with the Touchstone. I called and had another one sent to me thinking it was somehow defective. I installed the second one today and it does the same thing. Nothing.

Anyone else buy one of these? Anyone know why it doesn't work? Their tech support has no idea either
    Did they have you send the old one back? If not and you are uncomfortable doing the cross over let me know as I'm a certified Electrician in Az and can do it for you.
    In a world of droid, Pre does it better.

Shouldn't we treat this world like the Garden of Eden and avoid the apple at all costs?
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    I just modded a cable BTW...works great. Thanks guys!
    Global Posts
    776 Global Posts
    Oh wow, I'm glad I never got around to returning the U-Socket. It's actually all boxed and labeled, ready to go. My girlfriend forgot to drop it off this morning at the UPS store haha..

So I just need to bridge the data pins on a cable, and I'm good to go. Sweet, looks like I won't be returning the U-Socket!
    VZW Pre 2 on 2.1

Thanks webOS Internals!

@thereddestdog
    Global Posts
    776 Global Posts
    I think I might just bridge both data pins inside the U-Socket, that way I can use the Touchstone and charge my Nook Color at the right current
    VZW Pre 2 on 2.1

Thanks webOS Internals!

@thereddestdog
    I think I might just bridge both data pins inside the U-Socket, that way I can use the Touchstone and charge my Nook Color at the right current
    If it says it supports 1A, it may work, but may not. I have 2 car chargers that say they're 1A but won't drive a Touchstone

Global Posts
    776 Global Posts
    Well, it says 2.4A @ 5V, so I bet it does. I just need to get some solder..
    VZW Pre 2 on 2.1

Thanks webOS Internals!

@thereddestdog
    Well, it says 2.4A @ 5V, so I bet it does. I just need to get some solder..
    Yeah!!!

Now... only if they would sold those in Mexico...

Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    Personally, I still think it is better to use a cable. That's cheaper, easier & safer. Also, why screw up a port, esp if HP decides to change things up next Hardware cycle.
    Personally, I still think it is better to use a cable. That's cheaper, easier & safer. Also, why screw up a port, esp if HP decides to change things up next Hardware cycle.
    Nah, they won't. Things will be micro usb from now on, specially since in Europe all new phones use that.

Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    Nah, they won't. Things will be micro usb from now on, specially since in Europe all new phones use that.
    Ohh I didnt mean microUSB...but more they way they handle the 4 Pin connection.

They might go the way that Apple & others are doing it.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast