1.    #1  
    Hi,

I was just on the AGF site and saw that their GRT slider case is "now with slimmer design". But, it's still $34.99. I went on eBay and found several folks selling them for $7.99-$12.99 with free shipping but can't tell if those are the "now with slimmer design" options or if they are the originals.

I rolled the dice for $9.99 for one with both a chrome and a blue cover, and both regular and Touchstone backing. Time will tell whether I should have bought it from AGF and spend better than 3 times as much to get the slimmer one.
    "If you can't view and manage multiple apps, via multiple open windows, side-by-side, it's not multi-tasking, PERIOD." - Me
    Wow thats a good price, please do a review for us when you get it. I've been looking at them as well.
    I believe the chrome+blue+2 covers package is the same one that AT&T is currently selling on discount now, and according to the bigger GRT case thread, it is claimed to be the thinner design.

I received my chrome+blue+2 pack today, and although it is tight fit with my Invisibleshield screen protector, they are very sturdy. To be honest, the blue looks better than the chrome. I wish there was a cheaper way to get the non-chrome black cover.
    is this a front and a backplate?

TABatalk'd from somewhere in the galaxy
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Bosgarage57 View Post
    Wow thats a good price, please do a review for us when you get it. I've been looking at them as well.
    I've been using it for about a week or so now and I really like it. Here is the nutshell:

The AGF GRT slider case comes in a front and a back plate that fit together on it's on track. It feels a little flimsy out of the envelope (there was no box) but, after clicking it around my Pre, it took on a more solid feel.

The AGF GRT offers a good array of color choices for the front cover, and includes a variety of matte and glossy finishes (the back is matte). If you wish to take convenient advantage of your choices, visit their website, but expect to pay list price at $34.99. If you are more flexible on color, check out the sellers page here, or visit eBay and get one, or a combination, for between $7.99 and $12.99 shipped.

The cas offers two caseback options, one for with Touchstone back and one for without. Whether you get both or just one, depends upon where you buy it (i.e., the AGF home page, on the Pre Central seller's page, or eBay). As the slider case fits completely over the Pre case, there is no way for the Touchstone to charge through it. So AGF offers a case back with a cut-out the shape of the Touchstone, which extends upwards to left and right, in two smaller cut-outs for the camera and the speaker. This makes it look like a cut-out of Mickey Mouse on the back. While this takes a little getting used to, it serves a three-fold purpose: 1) Allowing the phone to charge (of course) 2) providing perfect positioning on the Touchstone (not always easy) and 3) It adds more grip to the phone by having the uneven surface cause by the cut-out.

The built in slider, is basically how the whole thing holds together. Unlike other slider cases, which come in two halves and have little teeth that stick in between the two phone halves, often marring the edges of the phone it was meant to protect, and stretching the slider, the AGF, GRT slider case has a slider rail on the outside edges of each case half, allowing one to click inside the other. This gives a very solid slider that corrects all oreo effect and has the feel the Pre should have had to begin with.

I only have two concerns/dislikes:

1) Because the top half is thinner, and because it doesn't have anything that fits between the two halves, when the slider is opened, to attach it to the top half of your Pre, you can take the edge of the top half of the case, and flex it, or pull it away, as if you were taking off a mask. Generally, if you leave this alone, it's not a problem, though it might be annoying to OCD types. The really concern is it doesn't seem to provide that much integrity or protection for the phone if you drop it when opened.

2) My phone got knocked off a window sill where I had it charging, and fell about 2.5 feet to the wood floor below and the case blew apart and dropped the phone on the floor. The case and the phone were both unharmed but, this isn't very far to fall, or a very hard surface to hit. While the case seemed to have the effect of an airbag, dissipating, the force of the fall as it hit, I don't think this was the intent behind the design.

So, in a nutshell, the AGF, GRT slider case for Palm Pre/Pre+ is stylish, and doesn't add much bulk, especially if you carry it in your pocket. It is great for protection against scratches, and basic knocks, and the built in not only protects the integrity of the Pre/Pre+ slider (i.e., by not shoving little teeth into it, to keep the halves on), it completely solves the oreo problem and makes the phone feel, overall, like you wish it felt when you bought it. Just don't expect it to protect much beyond a 3-4 foot fall (approximately) onto a hard surface. If you are prone to sending your phone for distance, you may wish to look into a different solution.
    "If you can't view and manage multiple apps, via multiple open windows, side-by-side, it's not multi-tasking, PERIOD." - Me
    Global Posts
    178 Global Posts
    Can you post a link please to an ebay auction which has it?
    I searched and only got a blackberry version of the case.

thanks
    Martin
    Running WebOS v2.24 on HPalm Pre3
    Quote Originally Posted by twilightomni View Post
    I believe the chrome+blue+2 covers package is the same one that AT&T is currently selling on discount now, and according to the bigger GRT case thread, it is claimed to be the thinner design.

I received my chrome+blue+2 pack today, and although it is tight fit with my Invisibleshield screen protector, they are very sturdy. To be honest, the blue looks better than the chrome. I wish there was a cheaper way to get the non-chrome black cover.
    Does anyone know if those fit the Pre 2 as well?
    To be honest, the blue looks better than the chrome. I wish there was a cheaper way to get the non-chrome black cover.[/QUOTE]

I think the GRT website now offers an option to buy a single "front" half in various colors for maybe $14.99

Someday I'll learn how to do quotes properly!
    Bought one at ebay, blue, I dont know if it is the new slimmer design but I can provide pics if you want, the pre I bought (used, ebay) had some oreo effect, the case takes care of the problem nicely, most people dont even notice it is on a case and think the phone is just that way. The phone does not fit on the palm provided pouch with the case on so I use it for the charger and cables/headphone.

Nice case I really recommend it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    Does anyone know if those fit the Pre 2 as well?
    I was able to test fit mine on a Pre2 owned by a friend. It fit but it was a tight fit and didn't slide as smoothly as with a Pre Plus inside.

My thoughts on this case:

1) Slippery! The back cover is not nearly as grippy as the native Pre Plus back. It's easy to lose your grip and drop the phone. The front of the case (chrome or blue - I have both) is not as slippery.

2) USB Charging is complicated by the fact you cannot open/close the case while the charging port is occupied.

3) My touchstone back version of this case broke a rail and is now not very sturdy. The rail structure broke free from the rest of the case at one end - this may be the result of trying to get the case off - which is (like most cases) a bit of a challenge at times.

My wife has this case and never takes hers off. I'm giving my non-touchstone version to my daughter to let her protect her phone a bit more. I'm thinking of sanding the back a little to give it some bite so she can avoid dropping the phone.
    True, the back is a bit slippery, I plan to put some thin rubber tape on there to improve grip, I think gaffers tape would work too. The back does not have the same rubberized paint finish as the front, it is however textured, I have seen those rubberized paints peel over time so it might have been designed that way to improve durability.
    Quote Originally Posted by Unclevanya View Post
    I was able to test fit mine on a Pre2 owned by a friend. It fit but it was a tight fit and didn't slide as smoothly as with a Pre Plus inside.
    I can confirm this. I tested it on a Pre 2 at the Verizon store. The salesman was not happy about me doing it () but it did fit. It was rather snug, but it snapped together okay and the slider opened. The problem, I think, is that the Pre is rounded at the top and the Pre 2 is flat, so it allllmost fits right, but not quite.
    I may have to try this...had a drop this weekend and now my Pre+ has the dreaded oreo and a little separation of the top and bottom halves. Maybe the GRT case will 'hold it together'?
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

Quote Originally Posted by Rockbeast View Post
    I may have to try this...had a drop this weekend and now my Pre+ has the dreaded oreo and a little separation of the top and bottom halves. Maybe the GRT case will 'hold it together'?
    I think you'll be happy/impressed with this case.

The only thing I regret about up (? cross?)-grading from my Pre+ to the Pre2 is that I lost the use of this case.

The rail system does a great job of protecting the slider mechanism, and the "airbag effect mentioned above actually does a majorly good job of protecting the phone... I inadvertantly launched mine OVER an isle in a liquor store... the case split apart, when I got to the phone, it was still spinning lazily on it's back, perfectly intact! Put the case back on it, and no problems.

So, anyone "Doctored" the GRT case for the Pre2?

russ
    Quote Originally Posted by russellraff View Post
    I think you'll be happy/impressed with this case...

The rail system does a great job of protecting the slider mechanism, and the "airbag effect mentioned above actually does a majorly good job of protecting the phone... I inadvertantly launched mine OVER an isle in a liquor store... the case split apart, when I got to the phone, it was still spinning lazily on it's back, perfectly intact! Put the case back on it, and no problems....
    Wow...nice launch...was this before or after the last shuttle mission, cause NASA is looking for some help on getting rides up to the ISS!

I'm buying one (the GRT case...not a NASA launch vehicle) now! Thanks for the encouragement.
    Last edited by Rockbeast; 08/16/2011 at 09:09 AM.

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

Got the GRT case today...boy, it does make my Pre feel snug as a bug in a rug. It has no oreo anymore. It goes on pretty easy too. I would like to figure out a way to make it feel 'stickier' like my touchstone back, I'm a bit afraid I'm going to 'launch' it some time.

THanks for the encouragement and let's see how I do with it.