Global Posts
    894 Global Posts
    I've checked out all the threads on touchstone on-off charging problems, e.g. waking up in the morning to a discharged Pre, and am starting this separate thread deliberately because I've narrowed the problem as the Touchstone Back Cover and I just want to know what to look for when I dissect it.

I have two Touchstones, and my Pre started going wonky (bing-bong) on both at the same time. After trying everything (see below) I changed the back cover, and had absolutely no problems afterwards.

With the old cover, I reseated the Pre in every orientation imaginable (sliding it down from the top, left, etc as well), I used the business card trick (helped a bit, then not anymore), bending the pins (didn't help at all) and cleaning the contacts. I even tried using a hair-dryer and a flat weight on the cover so the gold contacts area would be closer to the pins. No deal, though I'm not sure if my cleaning (scratching with a knife) or the re-molding was successful in bring the pins in contact as I obviously can't see inside when closed.

Does anyone know exactly what is inside a Back Cover to repair, at least from a mechanical sense? There seems to be a small chip or circuitry inside the raised bump. There was once a thread with photos on how to effect the business card trick, by moving the coil a bit, but I can't find it.

Thanks.
    Pixi Plus - Pre Plus - Pre 2 - Pre 3 - Touchpad 1 ;-)
    I'm curious to see if anyone has any info on this. I've been through the same thing myself with one of my touchstone backs and I'd love to get it working properly again.
    Sprint Pre Plus 1.4.5
    Dev Verizon Pre 2.1.0
    Weather App in the works...
    i had this issue a while back, what i noticed was the Prongs (or contacts) on the actual phone themselves were a little pressed in, i pulled them out some using a knife and its been working great. Make sure not to pull to heard as they may break.
    Global Posts
    818 Global Posts
    Search on this forum. I recently saw touchstone backs advertised for about $5.
    Palm III->Palm IV->Palm V->M130->Tungsten->Treo 270->Treo 600->Treo 700->Palm Pre Plus->FrankenPre 2->Pre 3 & TouchPad
    I have searched high and low, but I could not find an OEM back covering for this phone..

Most phones offer a spare backing for sale, but this one seems almost non existent.
    Global Posts
    894 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ggendel View Post
    Search on this forum. I recently saw touchstone backs advertised for about $5.
    I already ordered a new one at a good price. The purpose of this thread is to know if I repair or just toss the old one.
    Pixi Plus - Pre Plus - Pre 2 - Pre 3 - Touchpad 1 ;-)
    The bump houses an inductive coil, which may be broken in your old back cover. It's probably possible to fix it (it's possible to fix almost anything except death) but chances are it won't be worth it at all.
    Global Posts
    894 Global Posts
    By "bump" do you mean the large circular part, or the small rectangular part?
    Somewhere on this site there is a description of how to pull it apart :-) I would like a new backcover that said HP, I'm all done with Palm!!
    HP200LX->Treo270->Treo600->Treo650->Treo680->Centro->iPhone3G->
    Treo680->TreoPro->iPhone3GS->PalmPre->HPPre2->HPVeer 2.2.3->HPPre3