Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    I've decided to buy the Palm Pre 2 and I have some questions about the Touchstone thingie. They'll probably be stupid, but please show some understanding.

1. I usually see it sold as "Touchstone for Pre and Pixi". Is it compatible with Pre 2?

2. The cover is sold seperately and one is included in the phone box. Is this cover something the phone can "wear" all the time or is it something you use only when charging? If so, do you need more covers in order to have them next to each Touchstone and not carry them with you?

3. The Touchstone "charging kit" is unfortunately out of stock in the european store. Is there any way to get a touchstone along with a cable and not the standalone?

4. Is the Touchstone really worth it and why?
    1. Yes.
    2. Replaces back-cover and is externally the same. Just contains an internal coil and contacts.
    3. The connection to the back of the Touchstone is via a fairly standard micro-usb plug.
    4. It is very convenient to be able to just place the phone on the Touchstone to charge, rather than fiddle with cables, plugs and sockets. Consider getting multiple Touchstones.
    the pre2 comes with the touchstone back included. All you need is the stone itself.

verizon wireless is selling them bundled with a car charger. Shipped for $15, limit 3.

I have 8 of them.
    The TS is definitely worth it. No wires is really very convenient.

If i were you though, i would only buy one TS until HP releases the new ones. The new TS' will be able to be identified by the phone, and may also allow wireless data transfer. I would expect these to come out with the Veer, or you can be sure they're new because they'll say HP instead of Palm.

Also, if you find yourself in your car a lot, the TS can be used in many cars (it depends on the current supplied to the cigarette lighter, i believe).
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    The touchstone is definitely worth it. I am using 2 of them currently one next to my bed and the other I carry with me to use wherever I am. Check through the forum and see how people have put them in vehicles. You won't be disappointed in buying one.
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    Thanks guys. Unfortunately the Touchstone kit is not available in the European store (anyhow, it is very expensive). I'm in Europe, so the Verizon option is limited (although a friend of mine will be flying to the US next month). Are those sold in Amazon official ones?

I'm thinking of getting two TSs along with two cables/plugs. What about the covers? Do you use one for all the TSs or do you have one for each TS and you leave it there?
    You just need one cover, no matter how many TSs you use.
    Yeah, the touchstone in the car is fantastic. It's great to be able to just stick the phone on the dash and not fiddle with a charger cable, and if you need to use the touchscreen at some point - end a call or switch to speaker phone - since a phone cradle isn't in the way you may not even need to pick it up.

The only drawback to the touchstone is using it in your bedroom or on a nightstand. Using it puts the phone in exhibition mode, the screen always on. You can press the power button to turn the screen off, but if you get a notification of any kind, the display powers up to display it (as usual) but then never turns back off. It's a bug that can be kind of annoying if your phone is charging on your nightstand and the light bothers you. I currently cover my phone up at night because of this.
    Global Posts
    329 Global Posts
    It would be nice to have touchstone memory so that when it's on your desk, exhibition mode displays but on your night table, it's just charging so you can sleep...
    There's an app called Quick System Tasks that among other things allows you to keep the screen off when on a touchstone, but it unfortunately hasn't been updated for WebOS 2.1 yet and that particular feature doesn't work now.
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    I just saw that there are two topics in which people complain about the TS.
    Has the problem been solved? Is it very common?
    I don't think Verizon offers the bundle with car charger anylonger. I could not find it on their site.
    Quote Originally Posted by Loiter View Post
    I just saw that there are two topics in which people complain about the TS.
    Has the problem been solved? Is it very common?
    Very few had issues. Most were resolved long ago. Occasionally one goes bad. But I have 8 and none have ever had a problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by JimOhara View Post
    I don't think Verizon offers the bundle with car charger anylonger. I could not find it on their site.
    At the moment, I can't find it either. But their regular price is down to $14.99

Touchstone

You may have to click on it twice. First time is to enter your zip code. Then click the URL above a second time and you will see the item.
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    Unfortunately I cannot either find a touchstone "kit" on amazon, including the TS and the usb wall adapter.
    You don't need the "kit". It was just a box that included the TS back and the Charging stone together. If you needed them both, they are cheaper on Amazon to buy separately. But unless you have an original Pre minus, you already have the touchstone back on your phone.

Here is the wall charger and cable for less than $5:
    Amazon.com: Palm Pre Original Smart Phone AC USB Wall Adapter + Original Palm PRE Charging USB 2.0 Data Cable: Cell Phones & Accessories
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    Indeed I don't need a cover, I just need the TS and the cable/wall charger, that's what I meant a kit. It's out of stock in Eurostore and it is very expensive ($94 without shipping):
    HP Touchstone Charging Kit - Palm Accessories

The problem with buying them seperately from Amazon is the shipping and handling costs are more than the items themselves for Europe . The "cheapest" combo I can find is 45 Euros (15€ for the items and €30 for shipping and handling), which is about $63.
    Quote Originally Posted by Loiter View Post
    Indeed I don't need a cover, I just need the TS and the cable/wall charger, that's what I meant a kit. It's out of stock in Eurostore and it is very expensive ($94 without shipping):
    HP Touchstone Charging Kit - Palm Accessories

The problem with buying them seperately from Amazon is the shipping and handling costs are more than the items themselves for Europe . The "cheapest" combo I can find is 45 Euros (15 for the items and 30 for shipping and handling), which is about $63.
    Maybe a developer will be coming to the event in London and can bring them!
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    Sometimes it sucks being European
    A couple of friends are going to the US next month, can they find the TS+wall charger easily in Verizon shops or will the employees smile and tell them to get an iphone?
    they aren't likely to find them in the stores, or for those great prices. You should have amazon ship them to the house/hotel/office they will be at. My brother lives in Europe and he has stuff shipped to my house all the time. If he isn't scheduled to be coming to the area, I just ship it to him.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast