Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    877 Global Posts
    Do you think you will need to have a new touchstone for the Veer and Pre3 to run expedition mode? or do you think the original touchstone will work?
    current touchstones should work.
    My flickr Pictures taken by the Pre (pre plus and pre3)
    Yeah, the current one should be fine. All it is doing is going into that mode when it detects touchstone charging. Im sure they would have mentioned that if that wasnt the case.
  4. ndz
    Global Posts
    114 Global Posts
    "should work", "should be fine". C'mon guys. I'm going to assume no on this.

If old TS's worked, why didn't they say it?
    Quote Originally Posted by ndz View Post
    "should work", "should be fine". C'mon guys. I'm going to assume no on this.

If old TS's worked, why didn't they say it?
    They didn't not say it either
    how cares what they said? what they say and what the do is not the same!

wait till summer, youll see it
    The only new "touchstone" they showed was the charger for the TouchPad. I wouldnt see why you would need a new touchstone for the phones.

The photos shown here seem to show the same touchstone as we have now.

http://www.precentral.net/hp-veer-hands-on-9
    I don't even see how they would prevent the old touchstones from working.

They'd have to put a lot of extra work and funds into preventing them from working which they would at best break even on in new touchstone sales? Sounds like a **** move that would require more effort to pursue than they would see in returns...
    The only difference I saw with the new TouchStone (other than the TouchPad TouchStone) was that the Palm logo had been removed. No HP logo in its place, just blank.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    Yeah...they made it sound like they had new touchstones though that were 'location-aware' and your phone could recognize different touchstones.

I'm a little more cynical though (palm has taught me well) and think it's the same thing as the old one. I bet the latest webOS just associates different touchstones based on the location of your phone (based on GPS or network) when it senses the touchstone.

If that's the case though, I wonder how it will handle in-car touchstones.
    Global Posts
    260 Global Posts
    I'm wondering if the new phones won't pick up a serial number from the touchstone somehow. Maybe via bluetooth? Or more likely the same coil that will be used for the tap to transfer function to the TouchPad. I'm guessing that you would tell the phone where each one is and that's how it will know what to do when it's dropped on that particular stone.
    My question is if that's built into the OG Touchstones, or if that's something they're going to put into future models.
    I'm sure the old ones would continue to work as a plain charging station, just not sure if they'll have the location aware ability.
    Anyone know more?
    Nothing to see here. Move along.
    @drew3sbs on twitter
    I doubt it will be location aware via BT because that would require the BT radio to be on in order for it to work. If they are going to do something that will allow the phone to recognize which particular TouchStone it is resting on, it will likely be using RFID technology.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Pre2 supports exhibition on any touchstone already.
    Apps: MyQ for Netflix (Phone/TouchPad), Giantbomb (Phone), Excavate (Reddit/Digg clients for TouchPad)
    Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    Really informative thread.
    Here's some more info. According to the FCC filings, the TouchStone communicates to the phone via a 3.1 MHz radio band. This of course means the FCC had to do its standard tests on the TS mechanism itself. The good thing about that? When the FCC does a test, it must list all the part numbers used in the test.

http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/fcc...c=O8F&pc=-BROU

Looking at the test reports for the Veer, the TouchStone they used to test it with is part number 157-10123-00... Which is the exact same part number as the old TouchStone.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    Here's some more info. According to the FCC filings, the TouchStone communicates to the phone via a 3.1 MHz radio band. This of course means the FCC had to do its standard tests on the TS mechanism itself. The good thing about that? When the FCC does a test, it must list all the part numbers used in the test.

[url]http://m.forums.precentral.net/

Looking at the test reports for the Veer, the TouchStone they used to test it with is part number 157-10123-00... Which is the exact same part number as the old TouchStone.
    its so refreshing to see research as opposed to speculation, thanks!!
    Current TS will work! The TS2 is the only difference, which is for the Pad.
    I am equivalent to a man dammit.
    What about a new back for tap to share on pre2?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    They will have a new one, but you should be able to use the current one. I'm not sure that the original will have as much functionality as the newer one will though.

My Themes:CLICK HERE
    Global Posts
    926 Global Posts
    Just ordered a second TS from Amazon knowing the Pre3 will work on it (prices have gone up a bit fyi) but not exactly the same...

"Before you get fearful about that stockpile of Touchstones you have scattered about your daily existence, Sacher reasons that the old and new charging frequencies are close enough together that they should be interoperable, though older devices on new Touchstones won’t be able to receive the identifying communiqués, and new devices on old Touchstones won’t have anything to listen to."

Touchstone v2 will communicate its identity, probably isn't NFC | PreCentral.net | The #1 Palm Pre and Pixi Community
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast