Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I searched and didn't see any threads on this question.

I have two bluetooth profiles set up on my Pre. One is for a bluetooth receiver in my home that streams music. The second is for the head unit in my car to stream music and take phone calls. The problem I am having is when I have been connected to the home receiver and then get into the car, I turn bluetooth back on [I don't usually leave it on when not being used] and it tries to connect to my home receiver. Of course it fails because it is inside and too far away, but it won't attempt to connect to the cars unit. I have to go into the system menu and manually select the car BT profile for it to connect. If I haven't connected to anything else in between the Pre will automatically connect the next time I get in the car.

I thought when BT was on it would detect whatever profile was in proximity and automatically connect. It appears to default to the last used BT profile and not attempt any others automatically. Is there a preference somewhere that I have missed?
    Hmm ... I use multiple BT devices and haven't noticed that problem. But that may be because I leave BT active on my Pre, and the devices actually do the connecting when they are powered up. When I get in my car, the stereo A2DP device automatically connects when I turn the car on. Try turning on the Pre BT before you start the car.

BTW, a Bluetooth "profile" is not a device/connection ... it means something different and quite specific, so you may confuse folks if you use it in that way.
    I haven't seen this. Does it not find it even if you don't turn the bluetooth headset on until you are out of range for the home device?

Also, can you try it with a different bluetooth headset? Maybe yours doesn't allow connections if it doesn't happen as soon as you turn it on. And perhaps see if there is a difference if you are simply turning different headsets on and off - to eliminate the music device as a variable, since it's a different BT profile than a headset.

Because the headset and stereo device should look like different device types. It's possible that I haven't seen it because I'm only switching between devices for phone calls. For me it's two different bluetooth headsets and my Garmin GPS - none of which are music devices. hmmmm
  4.    #4  
    Thanks. Yeah, I should have said BT devices instead of profiles. I'll have to try turning BT on before I get in the car. I use mode switcher to turn BT on when its on the Touchstone in the car. Of course if I have to turn BT on manually before I start the car I might as well start the connection manually. Maybe I'll try leaving BT on and see if that helps, but I'm concerned about battery drain when I'm not using it - which is really most of the time.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    I haven't seen this. Does it not find it even if you don't turn the bluetooth headset on until you are out of range for the home device?

Also, can you try it with a different bluetooth headset? Maybe yours doesn't allow connections if it doesn't happen as soon as you turn it on. And perhaps see if there is a difference if you are simply turning different headsets on and off - to eliminate the music device as a variable, since it's a different BT profile than a headset.

Because the headset and stereo device should look like different device types. It's possible that I haven't seen it because I'm only switching between devices for phone calls. For me it's two different bluetooth headsets and my Garmin GPS - none of which are music devices. hmmmm
    Yeah, it still attempts to connect to the home device when it is well out of range. It also happens the other way - if it's been on in the car, when I get home and try to connect to the home system it attempts to connect to the car [and fails] even when the car is turned off. I haven't used a BT headset for quite some time because I never had any luck with call quality, but I will dig my old one out and see if that reacts any differently.
  6.    #6  
    Leaving BT on doesn't help. If I turn the home device off and go out to the car, the car device won't connect unless I manually select it on my pre. Same is true going from car to home.

If I don't go out and connect to the car I can turn the home device back on and Pre will reconnect automatically. Same is true reconnecting to the car device without connected to the home device in between.

If I turn BT off on the pre, when I turn it back on it always tries to reconnect with the last device used, even if it is out of range or that devices power is off. When it fails to connect it just sits idle until I manually initiate another connection.

When BT is on on the pre, shouldn't it be looking for any devices that it knows and automatically connect?

This is a Pre+ on Verizon by the way - if that makes any difference.
    OK, I just did some testing.

I'm pretty sure that the Pre always wants to connect to the device it connected to last.

When I first turned on my bluetooth radio, I turned on my Jawbone and it paired right up. Then I turned the Jawbone off and turned on my ProPlantronics. The Pre didn't find it within a few seconds even after tapping buttons on the headset. So I selected it manually and it paired right up.

Then I shut off the Plantronics and turned on the Jawbone. It connected instantly. I turned it off and turned the Plantronics on and it paired instantly.

After the first round it seemed that the Jawbone was being found automatically and the Plantronics wasn't. In the second and third rounds, they both connected automatically. Strange.

There are two variables I won't have time to test until later.

1. the menu shows devices in the order you first paired them to the phone. Try removing the stereo item and then re-pairing it to see if the order makes any difference.

2. The fact that the radio was turned on and the phone was lit up may have had something to do with it. I had just deleted and repaired them, so it could have been something to do with not having used them yet. Try testing with the screen on and see if it is different than when the phone is asleep.

As I said, I've not seen what you are experiencing, but the audio device you have probably is recognized by the Pre as being a different device type.

Try changing the order of the devices in your list of bluetooth menu, and try it between two bluetooth headsets that have previously been used with your Pre successfully.

Also, do you have any advanced patches running, like Mode Switcher, etc?
    Quote Originally Posted by rixpre2010 View Post
    Maybe I'll try leaving BT on and see if that helps, but I'm concerned about battery drain when I'm not using it - which is really most of the time.
    My understanding is that BT is designed for very low power use. Don't believe I've ever heard anyone suggest turning it off to save battery. If it's left on, then the devices will do most of the connecting as they are turned on.

I suspect what you're seeing is the intended behavior. Just trying to connect to the last used device does make sense (although it may not be what you want).
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by davis.rob View Post
    If it's left on, then the devices will do most of the connecting as they are turned on.
    Ok - so I'm having to rethink how I thought I understood BT to work. When I leave BT on it appears it is connecting as I turn on most of my devices - that includes the home audio streaming receiver and my old plantronics headset - and disconnecting as I turn them off.

What is still not happening for some reason is the connecting to the car head unit. Even if BT is on when I start the car and the head unit comes on, it still does not connect until I manually select it. And that could well be something in the head unit - especially since it is connecting with both an audio stream and a phone profile. I'll probably learn to live with that.

Anyway thanks for the help. If anyone has any other insight I'd welcome it, but for now I appreciate you setting me straight.
    I haven't read all the replies at this point, so my observation might have been seen by someone else.

I have multiple bluetooth profiles (headsets) and what I see if that WebOS is looking to connect to the last device that it was connected to but does not search for another available profile after that.

The only way I think I've read about getting around this, is to get Mode Switcher and have it switch depending on your GPS info. Inside the house is usually no GPS data but outside you can set for where the car is parked.

I don't know exactly how it's done, but it has been talked about in the Mode Switcher thread:

http://forums.precentral.net/enlight...tcher-1-x.html

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

Quote Originally Posted by rixpre2010 View Post
    Ok - so I'm having to rethink how I thought I understood BT to work. When I leave BT on it appears it is connecting as I turn on most of my devices - that includes the home audio streaming receiver and my old plantronics headset - and disconnecting as I turn them off.

What is still not happening for some reason is the connecting to the car head unit. Even if BT is on when I start the car and the head unit comes on, it still does not connect until I manually select it. And that could well be something in the head unit - especially since it is connecting with both an audio stream and a phone profile. I'll probably learn to live with that.

Anyway thanks for the help. If anyone has any other insight I'd welcome it, but for now I appreciate you setting me straight.
    try deleting and re pairing the head unit in the car --- This might help -- it sounds like the problem is there -- i have a motorola t505 in the car and a set of head phones i use while running or in the house and have had no problems as long as the phone is on and the screen is unlocked when i start the bt device
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Rob Chilcott

Twitter @robchilcott
    pre2
    " I am only a stupid electrician after all"

My house is a webOS house
    My pre 2, Touchpad 32g
    Wife Pixi, touchpad 32gb
    Daughter -- my old pre+
    of course my 16 year old son has and droid incredible but i think i remeber finding him on the porch
    Global Posts
    614 Global Posts
    I've seen what you're talking about. I have a Jabra BT 8040 earpiece and I recently got a Jabra Halo. When I turn on BT, it tries to connect to the last one, even if the last one isn't available. Not a difficult problem, however, as when you swipe down from the top to turn on BT (or to switch devices) as it tries to connect to the wrong BT device, just tap on the right one in the list. Viola, you connect to the one you want to. Likewise, if you leave BT on, just tap on BT in the drop down menu and select the other deivce.

I know it may be a nuisance that it doesn't do this automatically, but imagine with your setup, if you were talking on the earpiece and walked into your house. It would automatically switch your call to the home stereo. Manual makes more sense.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by jkeitz View Post
    . . . imagine with your setup, if you were talking on the earpiece and walked into your house. It would automatically switch your call to the home stereo. Manual makes more sense.
    Good point. I hadn't thought about it in that way. Thanks for the insight.
    I have the same problem with my Droid Pro. You have to manually unpair one BT device, and then pair it with the new one. I'm now in the habit of turning off the first device, then waiting, and then turning on the new device, then manually paring it. Sometimes even that doesn't work.

It's an issue with Bluetooth. At least with the Pre you have a drop down menu with easy access to Bluetooth settings right there. With Android, I have to install an app, and a widget, and it then takes me to the BT settings page. I just have to get used to it.
    Global Posts
    775 Global Posts
    I use Mode Switcher and most of my modes are based on what Bluetooth device is connected. I leave Bluetooth on all the time and both of our Pre+'s switch seamlessly between home (XLink Bluetooth Gate), cars (Accord and Insight), and mine with work (Sony DR-BT140Q Stereo Headphones). I believe the key is not turning Bluetooth off.
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Palm III -> Palm V -> Viewsonic Pocket PC V36 -> Treo 650 -> Samsung i760 ->
    Palm Pre Plus -> Palm Pre 2 > Samsung Galaxy Nexus & HP TouchPad

Android 4.1 - Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    CM9 Alpha 2 Official Nightly w/WebCM9 0.4 - HP TouchPad

Twitter: @noseph47
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    I used to turn BT on/off with mode switcher but that caused problems with it connecting. Now I leave it on all the time and I don't notice any significant battery drain changes.
    Dan
    Thank you one and all for posting some useful replies!!..
    one thing to keep in mind w/ mode switcher is even after its done switching to a particular mode, the radios dont usually go on immediately.

so if you are switching modes as you get in your car and you start it up, the cars head unit may be sending out pings for bluetooth connections, and if the bluetooth radio on the pre isnt quite on yet, those pings could time out on the head unit and thus the connection isnt being made automatically.
    just wanted to continue with some questions about how the Pre uses BT.

I have my Pre paired with 4 devices: 2 in the house, 2 in the car.
    My problem comes with connecting in the car.
    I use an A2DP profile to connect to a device via the car stereo aux port for streaming music, and an A2DP profile used to connect to a Parrot kit for phone via the stereo.

I basically turn on BT manually or with Mode Switcher prior to turning on the car. Then, it connects to one of the 2 devices. It seems sort of random as to which one wins connecting. As mentioned, above, I just do a swipe and then select 'the other' BT device in the car, if it connected to the wrong one.

So, my questions are:

1) Is there a certain way that webOS is supposed to connect to previously paired devices? (aka, should it always connect to the most recent connection if it 'sees' 2 of them, or will it just connect to the first one it finds, or some combination with a small wait window)?

2) Is this not a BT design/protocol thing, or is it a webOS design thing (aka, are there other devices on the market that allow more BT settings, kind of like WiFi connection preferences in Windows)?

3) I'm stuck with Sprint, so I'm still on 1.4.5, are there any changes out there with 2.x or 3.x in regards to BT?
    I have a similar setup in my car. I use a BT dongle for an A2DP connection to my car stereo for music (Sprint Anycom music receiver routed through an AUX input) and have a separate bluetooth speaker that uses the bluetooth HFP profile for phone calls (Scosche BT1000) .

Most bluetooth receivers - whether they are A2DP or HFP - auto-connect to the last device, and thus will auto-connect to your phone. However, WebOS 1.4.5 can only have 1 active device connected to it so unless that device can handle both music and phone, you're stuck with having to switch devices manually. If they both try to connect simultaneously, it's a guess which will get the phone last and thus be the active device. However, with the upgrade to WebOS 2.1 you'll find things are much better.

With 2.1 my phone now accepts both of my car devices auto-connecting to it. I can stream music or Spint Nav to my stereo and then when a call comes in, the Pre automatically switches over to the BT1000 unit for the call. It works great and just how you'd envision it. To me this feature along made the WebOS 2.1 upgrade worthwhile.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast