Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    My new Touchstone arrived in the mail today and it is great. I think my family was a little confused as to why I was so excited. Now I'm a little confused as to why I was so excited, too...

Upon placing my Pre Plus (Verizon) on the Touchstone, it charges as it should but continuously and very frequently chimes to remind me that it is charging as if I'm just placing it on the Touchstone again, despite the fact that I have not touched it or removed it from the Touchstone at all. I thought maybe it just wasn't positioned correctly on the Touchstone or something but moving it a little or placing it exactly where it sticks into place doesn't seem to help this problem any.

Does anyone else have this problem and/or know how to fix it?
    The only problem I have read about people having this problem is not placing it on the touchstone correctly. So if you are doing it right, I dont know why else it would do that. the best way to put it on is set it on the touchstone and let it slide down into place.
    Another frequent cause of this is using a non-palm USB that doesn't give the touchstone sufficient power.
  4.    #4  
    I'm using it with the Palm USB cable that came with the phone, so I don't think that is the problem. I can continue trying to adjust the phone to see if that helps at all though.
    it's a well known issue, there used to be quite a lot of talk about it, but that seems to have mostly died down. Some people have returned their touchstone for another, which can fix the issue, unless you get another one that has the same problem, there were reports of people cramming paper inside the phone to put the inductive coils in the back closer to the touchstone magnet, some people claimed that putting a post-it note over the touchstone fixes the issue. alternatively (and what I do) there are patches to work around it. I use the "disable charging alert sound" patch. So even if it keeps popping up, it doesn't annoy you. there is also a "no charging banner on touchstone" patch although I don't know if this disables the sound as well, since I don't use it.

You should be excited though, the touchstone is one of the greatest (and sadly poorly advertised) features of the phone.
    Two issues have come up regularly. The most common is what @jsgraphicart said, which is not putting it on the touchstone exactly right. I've found that the best way to do it is to put it on just slightly above where it goes, and let gravity snap it in to place. That takes a little getting used to.

The other is that there have been some defective touchstones that seem to start/stop charging and make the phone keep chiming like that even though it was really charging correctly. There was a patch created for that once, it was a workaround because that was determined to be a specific defect in a few touchstones.

I have 7 or 8 (lost count) of them around my house/car/office and I've never had this issue but it did take a bit to get used to setting it on the touchstone correctly. Letting it slide down like I described above solved it for me and when my kids put it back on for me. If you really can't get it to stop by correct placement, get it replaced.

And there is also a great patch in Preware to turn off that stupid charging noise. Talk about redundantly redundant... I KNOW it's charging because I'M THE ONE that put it there and I'M STILL LOOKING at the phone! (sorry, I just had an emotional moment...)

I hope you will post back with the results of either proper alignment of replacement. Touchstone is awesome, and the best car mount ever.
    I had a faulty ac adapter that caused this as well (although that was from my old Treo Pro). Cable was fine but the part plugging into the wall was not
    FYI the wall adapter has to put out 1000mA or the touchstone will just ignore it and the phone won't even realize it's there. That's why nothing happens when you plug the touchstone into your PC.

The Palm branded cables and adapters have gotten so cheap that I bought one for every touchstone I have and a few extras for travel. The electromagnetic forcefield in my house is probably interfering with low flying aircraft or local police radios. But it is soooo convenient.
    Global Posts
    205 Global Posts
    I had no problem with my 3 TS chargers and then I started having this issue with all 3. It turned out I had to replace the TS back cover. I haven't had the problem since.
  10.    #10  
    Could it possibly be the fact that the phone was fully charged when I placed it on the Touchstone when I first got it?

I've noticed that since I used the phone a little while and depleted the battery level a little bit and placed it back on the Touchstone that it seems to be charging without constantly making the noise and reminding me that it's charging anymore. The Touchstone actually working and just getting the dimmed clock has been so nice! I just worry that it'll start chiming again once it's fully charged.

Then again, I also could have just possibly placed it 'just right' on the dock this time without realizing it. Hard telling, really.
    I had this issue with one of my Touchstones. I was using the OEM charger with it. Turns out the Touchstone was defective. Returned it for another and the issue went away.
    Quote Originally Posted by jiggyflyjoe View Post
    Could it possibly be the fact that the phone was fully charged when I placed it on the Touchstone when I first got it?

I've noticed that since I used the phone a little while and depleted the battery level a little bit and placed it back on the Touchstone that it seems to be charging without constantly making the noise and reminding me that it's charging anymore. The Touchstone actually working and just getting the dimmed clock has been so nice! I just worry that it'll start chiming again once it's fully charged.

Then again, I also could have just possibly placed it 'just right' on the dock this time without realizing it. Hard telling, really.
    The charging circuit has logic in it that will stop and restart charging, it may go up and down a few %, especially if the phone is being used for something taxing like mobile hot spots. But the tone won't sound unless the phone is removed from the stone.
    In a number of cases, the soulution is to increase the space between the inductive coil and the Touchstone. Easy to test - see below.

See this thread ... http://discussion.treocentral.com/pa...-solution.html

If it works for you, please report back in that thread too.

This is my post in that thread.
    This method was definitely the solution to my problem. With an unmodified Touchstone back I had regular annoying bing-bongs.

It is very easy to verify that it will work. Simply insert a card (a bit over 0.5 mm thick eg business card) between the Pre and Touchstone and if the cycling is better you need this solution. Having done that I stuck a pile of adhesive paper labels onto my Touchstone and played around with the thickness until I got good perfromance with 8 labels. I then cut my spacer from that stack of labels and proceeded with Richard's mod. No more bing-bongs.

Thank you very much Richard!!

EDIT: To reduce problems of realignment, I just peeled back the tape and foil as one, leaving them attached, so that after inserting the spacer under the coil, I could just fold them down and press them into place.
    I continue to have faultless operation and no surplus bing-bongs.
    I finally stopped the "bing-bongs" by changing the TS back cover on the phone. Found it cheap on Amazon. Worked great!
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    my touchstone does the same thing... so annoying. I wonder if that's what's killed 2 of my previous batteries? I'm on my 3rd battery now in just over a year because when the batteries get down to a certain % (the first one was 20, the second one 30), the percentage just drops down to 0. I've literally watched this happen before my eyes - skip from 30 down to 0 - while the phone was just sitting idle.

Maybe i'll try the business-card-under-the-cover trick
    You should try Dr. Battery, to check the health and recalibrate.

Sent from my eVo
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    Quote Originally Posted by ccrooks View Post

Maybe i'll try the business-card-under-the-cover trick

Just confirming, in case there is any confusion. The business card goes between the touchstone and the back-cover to test for the suitability of that solution.
    Last edited by johncc; 01/19/2011 at 01:11 AM.
    Yep!

Sent from my eVo
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    I have the Zagg leather skin and despite what the solution seems to be, I find it interferes more with the charging than without the skin. It'll bing bong if it isn't on properly.
    This issue has happened to me as well across a number of my touchstones. My Pre may work well on most of them, but one it just does the charging dance. My Wife's Pixi does the same thing to her only on 1 or 2 of the touchstones. Where my Pre might on one, her Pixi doesn't and visa versa. I was happy to have another Palm webOS device around to verify that the touchstone wasn't completely "bad".

We just moved around the touchstones a bit so I use the ones that work for me without issue and same for her.

The best accessory for webOS... the touchstone.

For more information on Sconix's (@therealsconix/@modeswitcher) webOS collective work... visit here.

"Those convinced against their will are of the same opinion still." - Dale Carnegie
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast