1.    #1  
    After having the oem battery go dead half a day or less, I decided to get the Mugen 2800mAh battery with extended battery case. You may be able to get a better deal than I. I just Googled Mugen and bought through Amazon for around $69.00 incl. shipping. I figured it was worth it if my battery now would last for days rather than hours. It arrived within a week. Great service from Amazon.

The Mugen battery showed approx. 50% battery charge when received. I let it charge overnight per instruction to get it to 100%. As posted by others, Dr. Battery showed the battery health at 100% but the Manufacturer and Calculated Left at displayed only 2483mAh. Not sure why it doesn't say 2800mAh.

Much of the conversion method idea was posted previously by sburlbaw and others on a similar Seidio 2600 TS conversion. Not much different for the Mugen.

First thing that I did was to carefully peel off the black backing, reflective backing which I assume to reduce heat directed to the battery and the touchstone induction coil circuit. No big deal if you are careful. You can actually just peel off the black backing on one corner with a sharp knife and carefully peel off the entire backing. Ditto for the reflective surface and even the Touchstone coil. Take your time and don't force it!

The photo below shows the 3 pieces that I removed from my stock TS cover.

I wasn't sure about using pins and the alignment of the pins and so I decided to solder two thin gauge wires to the TS circuit prior to installing on the Mugen extended battery case.

Be careful when soldering as you don't want to put too much heat as it can conduct to the circuits and possibly damage the micro circuits. I used a heat sink that came with my old soldering iron.

Finally, back on the Touchstone! I did notice that magnet is weaker on the TS but still works OK on a desk. The magnet would be too weak if this setup was used as a TS in a car, etc.

Let me know if any questions. I am now hoping that I can be in the field and use the phone, data and web all day long without needing to charge my battery by mid-day.

Jon
    Palm III -> Palm IIIc -> Palm M505 -> Palm Tungsten T5 -> Palm Treo 600 -> Palm Treo 650 -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Plus (All running InfoSelect)
    You are a brave man...

BTW, Steve also has a method for putting in stronger magnets if it doesn't stay on in the car.
  3.    #3  
    BTW, Is this a Dr. Battery issue or did I get shortchanged on the mAh from Mugen?

Thanks.

Jon
    Palm III -> Palm IIIc -> Palm M505 -> Palm Tungsten T5 -> Palm Treo 600 -> Palm Treo 650 -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Plus (All running InfoSelect)
    Quote Originally Posted by jjsorkin View Post
    BTW, Is this a Dr. Battery issue or did I get shortchanged on the mAh from Mugen?
    Dr.Battery reads only what is stored in the battery chip by the manufacturer.
  5.    #5  
    As a follow-up to my conversion, TS conversion is still working well. The Mugen 2800mAh or actual 2483mAh battery is solid. No scientific data here other than I use the phone and apps quite often along with other background sync apps- emails, Done!, drPodder, YouView, Google Calendar, etc., and my phone now can go couple of days without charging versus half a day on the original battery.

Jon
    I love this. As soon as I get a replacement back, I have a 2250 battery, I will try this. Dude You're Awesome!
    IIIXE>Clie:N710C>N760C>NX60>Treo[600>650>700]>Centro>Pre+>Pre2&Touchpad 32GB
    webOS Themes: star-trek-universe star-trek-future Future Trek for Tpad

My CV: http://visualcv.com/egadgetguy
    It would be nice if the battery manufactures sold a TS back for their extended batteries.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    Quote Originally Posted by swieder View Post
    It would be nice if the battery manufactures sold a TS back for their extended batteries.
    They may not be allowed by Palm (and now HP). The Touchstone is patented technology.