Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I'm a pilot that travels on day trips frequently, how well does the touchstone travel? I have a flight bag and would like to know if I need to protect it, or not keep it next to certain items. Any idea?
    I don't do a lot of traveling buy I do enough that I keep a Touchstone in my backpack. And it travels reasonably well. The Touchstone I keep for traveling stopped working once and suddenly started working again the next time I plugged it in, go figure. In any case, it works but it's probably a good idea to use a spare instead of your regular Touchstone for traveling.
    I only have one touchstone and I take it everywhere I go. I don't do a lot of heavy traveling, But I guess for a charger, thats pretty heavy. lol. It doesn't hurt to have more than one though. They aren't that expensive. I just never got around to getting more.
    If your gonna use one just for travel, I would keep the little cover on the suction adhesive bottom. I've had times where I couldn't get the dang thing off of my nightstand without using a flathead or butter knife.

As for protection, I've always just put mine in my suitcase or duffle bag with the wire loosely wrapped around it. Never had any problems with it.
    Global Posts
    468 Global Posts
    Touchstone travels just fine, never had any issues with it.
    Sanyo SCP 4500 > Samsung SCH 1900 > Sanyo SCP 5000 > Treo 755p > Palm Pre > HTC Evo
  6.    #6  
    Many thanks for the quick replies. Just got the backing today and look forward to using the Touchstone often!
    it's the best!!!
    Are you going to use it for navigation while flying? Is it a Verizon Palm Pre? Uh...well...maybe I'll take the next flight!

Do you have air vents? If so, I have a cell phone clamp that is a little too narrow for the Pre, but holds the touchstone nicely! I mount it on my air vent and voila, I've got it ready for navigation! If only I could find a reliable way to navigate!
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

Quote Originally Posted by Rockbeast View Post
    Do you have air vents? If so, I have a cell phone clamp that is a little too narrow for the Pre, but holds the touchstone nicely! I mount it on my air vent and voila, I've got it ready for navigation! If only I could find a reliable way to navigate!
    The air vent phone holder is the best way to go in in a car in my opinion. especially on a hot summer day. It keeps the phone cool and prevents it from heating up. And if you hook your phone up to your car to listen to music, you have a nice little display to skip through songs.
    ...Do you have air vents? If so, I have a cell phone clamp that is a little too narrow for the Pre, but holds the touchstone nicely! I mount it on my air vent and voila, I've got it ready for navigation! If only I could find a reliable way to navigate!
    Quote Originally Posted by jsgraphicart View Post
    The air vent phone holder is the best way to go in in a car in my opinion. especially on a hot summer day. It keeps the phone cool and prevents it from heating up. And if you hook your phone up to your car to listen to music, you have a nice little display to skip through songs.
    Sorry for the quick derailment of this thread but -Which air vent holder do you two use?
    I carry one in my bag at all times. Travels very well.

Also, for those wanting to ask about car mounting... here is everything you could ever want to read or see... I use a proclip/moveclip system that is posted in there, as well:

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...tone+car+mount
    Global Posts
    506 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ootsk35 View Post
    I'm a pilot...or not keep it next to certain items.
    I'd put it as far away from the compass as possible, since it contains magnets! Well, unless you want to visit Havana when flying to Atlanta.

Do commercial airliners with glass cockpits even have compasses any more?????
    The touchstones are great travelers. Before I got touchstones in all my cars, on my office desk, on my computer desk at home and on my bedside table; I carried one around with me. The only thing I did for transport was to keep a cover on the sticky bottom so it would stick where I wanted it to without dust and lint. I really enjoy the convenience of the touchstones.
    Last edited by not-yet-pre; 12/27/2010 at 09:10 PM.
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    I really don't know what brand my vent clamp is, there is no marking on it at all...it came with a kit of accessories I got off ebay...15 bucks and I got EVERYTHING for my LG VX8300. I think I got a car adapter, an extra battery, screen protector, wall charger, the vent holder, and a large order of fries! It was a good deal. It is a side clamping device. It has foam pads that hold onto the sides of the touchstone very nicely, and there is a little ledge along the bottom to keep the TS from sliding down. I used it last summer on a 6,500 mile trip out west and it made my pre very accessible...and when VZ navigator worked (I took advantage of the 1 month free trial they had back then), it was nice. Once I entered Canada, VZ nav wouldn't work (out of network, had data roaming off), and it never worked well again, even after I returned to the US. Oops, heading off course again in this thread.

I keep the plastic protection sheet on the bottom of my TS too, so the adhesive doesn't wear out and I can easily move it around. After driving for the day, I take the TS inside and plug it in on the bedside table so my Pre can double as my sound machine...and alarm clock...is that a paradox?
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by vreihen View Post
    I'd put it as far away from the compass as possible, since it contains magnets! Well, unless you want to visit Havana when flying to Atlanta.

Do commercial airliners with glass cockpits even have compasses any more?????
    Yes, it is actually a required instrument on all aircraft that are flying IFR (think ATC talking to ALOT!) and even the Boeing 777 and B787 have to have a compass installed.

Are you going to use it for navigation while flying? Is it a Verizon Palm Pre? Uh...well...maybe I'll take the next flight!

I do have air vents, but because my aircraft is a charter aircraft. I cannot alter the aircraft in any way that the FAA does not approve of. And my airvents are directly above my head anyways.
    I do have air vents, but because my aircraft is a charter aircraft. I cannot alter the aircraft in any way that the FAA does not approve of. And my airvents are directly above my head anyways.
    You could just attach it to a post that goes in the cigarette lighter:

Global Posts
    506 Global Posts
    I do have air vents, but because my aircraft is a charter aircraft. I cannot alter the aircraft in any way that the FAA does not approve of.
    Not that you could use the phone while in flight thanks to the FCC, but I know that the early Garmin portable aviation GPS units came with clamp-on yoke mounts that were supposedly universal. Don't know if they were approved for commercial use, but I assume they were at least cleared for GA.

Of course, you wouldn't catch me dead in a plane if I knew the pilot was using Sprint Navigation to fly! Picture being half way down the runway at Gibraltar and having the phone tell you to make a left turn at the traffic light.....
    yes it's fine for travelling. Had no problem with different voltages yet when travelling between uk an us (uk 3pin version). The sticky base can be washed with a soapy cloth to get back any lost stickyness. It's not normal glue.
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by vreihen View Post
    Not that you could use the phone while in flight thanks to the FCC, but I know that the early Garmin portable aviation GPS units came with clamp-on yoke mounts that were supposedly universal. Don't know if they were approved for commercial use, but I assume they were at least cleared for GA.

Of course, you wouldn't catch me dead in a plane if I knew the pilot was using Sprint Navigation to fly! Picture being half way down the runway at Gibraltar and having the phone tell you to make a left turn at the traffic light.....
    Yes, I have a portable Garmin VFR GPS that I use as a backup for navigation and it does have a yoke clamp. Unfortunately, I lost a screw, litterally, and I can't use it anymore. Oh well. I hid that app long ago, I forgot it was even on the phone! Though I have been pleasantly surprised how well some of the other apps, non navigation, have done. I just want to see an updated Google Maps App now.

Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    You could just attach it to a post that goes in the cigarette lighter.
    I like that, wish all the airplanes I flew had them. Some don't even have one installed.
    I take a spare Touchstone if I'm going to be away for more than a day. It seems pretty sturdy to me. The only issue I have is that it is a little heavy.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast