Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by ootsk35 View Post
    I do have air vents, but because my aircraft is a charter aircraft. I cannot alter the aircraft in any way that the FAA does not approve of. And my airvents are directly above my head anyways.
    Would those cute colored lanterns hanging overhead that you see on RVs in campgrounds be something the FAA would approve? Just trying to get an idea of my boundaries here.

With all the flights in the USA being non-smoking, I'm surprised they have any lighters at all! You know though, shouldn't they have some electrical outlet like a power port though? I mean, what if you need a jump start?

Oh, and Hagster, thank you for the soapy cloth cleaning tip...I did not know I could get the stickyness or stickiness back.
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

Quote Originally Posted by ootsk35 View Post
    I'm a pilot that travels on day trips frequently, how well does the touchstone travel? I have a flight bag and would like to know if I need to protect it, or not keep it next to certain items. Any idea?
    The touchstone travels very well. I generally take it in my computer bag or carryon. Having the charger that has the rubber case for the cord and charger in the middle makes one piece and the touchstone makes the other piece.

Having modified a touchstone for a floor mount in my car, I can say that the insides of the touchstone are sturdy and made of strong materials.

I think it should hold up well for you. jmo
    Last edited by gsparks2; 12/29/2010 at 08:45 AM. Reason: spelling
  3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockbeast View Post
    Would those cute colored lanterns hanging overhead that you see on RVs in campgrounds be something the FAA would approve? Just trying to get an idea of my boundaries here.
    Is it FAA approved? Then yes, otherwise, no.

With all the flights in the USA being non-smoking, I'm surprised they have any lighters at all! You know though, shouldn't they have some electrical outlet like a power port though? I mean, what if you need a jump start?
    If your wondering how we get jump started, if necessary, is done one two ways. First is we actually just pull the battery and recharge it, we don't have radios that have anti-theft programing coded into them. The other, on small piston engine aircraft, is that we have a three prong plug that plugs into the airplane. Such as this receptacle, with this plug. And then go through a different start-up procedure than normal obviously.

There is another system basically found only on one type of aircraft. This is specific to the aircraft type and to a certain voltage. And in fact with this plug I have jump started an aircraft with a Honda Civic. NO JOKE!
    That would be a great picture! Was it your Honda Civic?

I'm driving to Charlotte, NC today, with a new Verizon universal cig lighter charger and new touchstone...got them (plus a hip case) for $15 ($16.34 with tax) and I'm using my old vent mount. Now, if I only had a great Navigation program...did update to latest BFG Maps last night...not sure what enhancements are there but turn by turn nav still not available unless you us VZ Nav (which isn't a very good piece of software in my experience).
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

Probably not the proper thread for asking this question but I will anyway. I tried using my TS in my truck but I never got the "Charging" message when I placed the phone on the TS. I bought a Braketron 12v Universal Car Charger and used the cable that came with the TS. The TS works off the wall outlet and the charger works when I connect it to phone's USB port but not using the TS. Any suggestions?
  6.    #26  
    That would be a great picture! Was it your Honda Civic?

I'm driving to Charlotte, NC today, with a new Verizon universal cig lighter charger and new touchstone...got them (plus a hip case) for $15 ($16.34 with tax) and I'm using my old vent mount. Now, if I only had a great Navigation program...did update to latest BFG Maps last night...not sure what enhancements are there but turn by turn nav still not available unless you us VZ Nav (which isn't a very good piece of software in my experience).
    No it was not my Civic. I was a company car, and I used that because I didn't want to hurt my car. I'm sure there are pics out there very similar to that, I'm just google it. I'm to poor to afford any kind of turn by turn navigation. I have to rely on my Mark One (MK1) eyeball.http://forums.precentral.net/images/smilies/cool.gif
    For anyone wanting to protect the suction bottom and not needing to constantly stick it to something I have a simple step to protect it. The thin plastic film only lasts so long.
    Take a CD Jewel case and set your touchstone on it, trace around it with a pencil or marker. Take the touchstone off and carefully work with an exacto knife to score the trace and cut it out, after cutting it out just rub the edge on some sandpaper to smooth it out. You can score directly around your touchstone, but be careful not to start cutting your touchstone. You can also use a scissors after you have a good score, but you might cause the jewel case to break, I'm sure you have many laying around though if the first doesn't work.
    I've done this and applied velcro disks to the plastic to attach in my car. The touchstone will never come off of the jewel disk, infact I had to use a knife to carefully break the seal when taking it off once.
    Quote Originally Posted by gianf150 View Post
    Probably not the proper thread for asking this question but I will anyway. I tried using my TS in my truck but I never got the "Charging" message when I placed the phone on the TS. I bought a Braketron 12v Universal Car Charger and used the cable that came with the TS. The TS works off the wall outlet and the charger works when I connect it to phone's USB port but not using the TS. Any suggestions?
    I had the same problem many months ago. The Touchstone takes more current than most USB devices. Many after market chargers don't have the grunt. I think there's been many discussions bout ones that do work in these forums if you search for it. Most aren't even sold with a proper specs on the max current draw. If you do find any then look for a 1Amp one (normal USB spec is 100mA).I ended up buying a genuine palm one when it was on sale and it works fine.
    I fly with the TS charger all the time. It travels well. Only thing is that many airport security folks don't know what it is. I say, in my experience, 1 time out of 5, I get my bag yanked from the x-ray machine and the culprit always is the TS hockey puck.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12