1.    #1  
    https://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.48925~r.30081924

Mini Car Cigarette Powered 1000mA USB Adapter/Charger - Black (DC 12V)

A nice alternative for the other chargers, you'd only have to provide your micro usb cable...

https://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.48924~r.30081924

$3.20 for a 1000mA car charger? To me it sounds really nice.

I've already ordered the charger... too bad it will take 2-3 weeks to get to Mexico

Just remember: If I helped you, press the thanks button!

Owner of: Pre Sprint, Pre Telcel, Pre Plus AT&T, Pre 2 Unlocked, Pixi Plus AT&T, and 2 TouchPads (my Pre3 was stolen so it won't appear again here).
    Needs: Veer (anyone?)
    Apps: Subnet Calculator, FreeCam, PhotoFun, NuttyPad (work in progress)
    HomeBrew: meta-doctor and Messaging Plugins collaborator
    Twitter: @cesarneg
    I wouldn't hold your breath. I ordered a 1500ma CLA from Meritliine (which IMO is slightly more trustworthy than Dealextreme) and it clearly was not 1500ma. Did not work at all.

Given the size of the one you ordered from Dealextreme, I would be absolutely shocked if it truly was 1000ma, so I'm wagering it will not work. Hope I'm wrong. Let us know how it goes!
  3.    #3  
    Wow, it "just" arrived (I ordered it on Nov. 23)... I'm at work, at night I'll check if it's indeed 1000mAh or less.

Remember that I'm in Mexico and these things tend to take a looooong time to get here.
    Just remember: If I helped you, press the thanks button!

Owner of: Pre Sprint, Pre Telcel, Pre Plus AT&T, Pre 2 Unlocked, Pixi Plus AT&T, and 2 TouchPads (my Pre3 was stolen so it won't appear again here).
    Needs: Veer (anyone?)
    Apps: Subnet Calculator, FreeCam, PhotoFun, NuttyPad (work in progress)
    HomeBrew: meta-doctor and Messaging Plugins collaborator
    Twitter: @cesarneg
    Good news NuttyBunny! We'll be all "ears" to hear if it works for you!
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

But don't kill your battery (again) ;-)
    Keep us informed.
  6.    #6  
    Well, it works, but just at 700mAh as reported by the Pre. Of course, it can't drive the Touchstone so I can't use it for my specific purposes.

Still, $3.20 for a charger that would have cost me about 10 here? Excellent!!
    How can you be sure it hasn't 1000? The pre will not charge much higher than 700mAh.
  8.    #8  
    /var/log/messages
    Wall charger, it says 1000mAh
    Cheap car charger, it says 700mAh
    Sprint original car charger, says 1000mAh

But... Now that you mention it, I might as well play with the data pins, I think they're shorted on original chargers? I'll do it tomorrow, maybe that's it
    Nice trick you hacker ;-)
    Thanks for the info.
  10.    #10  
    As a matter of fact, it works. I shorted the pins inside the charger (I thought of doing it in my data cable but I also use it for data). The pins are 2 and 3, they need to be shorted for the Pre to recognize it as a 1000mAh charger.

The funny (and dissapointing) part is that it doesn't seem to drive the touchstone properly, maybe it's missing some logic necessary for it.

Too bad. Still, it works fine for charging the phone directly from the cable!
    If you've shorted it and it's still not driving the touchstone properly, then the charger is NOT 1000mAh.

Another mislabled charger added to the list..
  12.    #12  
    I'll check it later with a probe, still it's a bargain
    One caution about those cheap usb cables. I've got quite a few that work for charging but not for USB access or WOS Doctor. When I first got my Pre, I was in a panic several times because I couldn't get access to the USB partition. This was before I had Preware and before a lot of current stuff was even in Preware.

I tried to doctor, no deal, tried to use WOS QuickInstall, didn't recognize that the device was connected. I came back later and everything worked perfectly. A few days later... same thing.

Eventually it dawned on my that there was one variable I hadn't noticed. It worked in my office, but not in the family room... Wuh? The difference is my office had my original Palm cable, and I had a fist full of cheap-o cables in the end table drawer and that was the issue. I found a post somewhere that explained why that happens, but I don't remember the explanation now. The stock chargers and cables have gotten cheap that I just bought a bunch of them so I could litter them all over the house and cars. It came in handy when touchstone prices dropped so much and I ended up with 7 or 8 of them.

The other problem I've had a few times is buying really cheap car adapters (for my Centro and Treo). They tended to blow a fuse for no reason, and the fuses were always some non-standard size that apparently is only used in China. No auto parts store was ever able to find a replacement for most of them, and I ended up throwing several away before I learned not to buy them. The items in the OP may not be like that and may be wonderful, I just thought those issues might be worth posting back her about for someone that buys them and uses them for a while.

The Palm car charger is still almost $20 shipped, but it will power the touchstone so that was worth the cost to me:
    Amazon.com: Palm Vehicle Power Charger for Palm Pre and Pixi: City Cellular

And the wall adapter+cable was cheap enough (under $10 shipped) to have one for every touchstone. Most of these are the larger version that Sprint includes, not the smaller size that come with VZW and ATT phones. But they have the same output:
    Amazon.com: Palm Pre Original Smart Phone AC USB Wall Adapter + Original Palm PRE Charging USB 2.0 Data Cable: SF Planet

And verizon had a $9.99 (free shipping) deal with a Touchstone AND a car charger that worked with the touchstone. I bought several of those bundles, too. Not sure if that is still going on. Couldn't find it on their site, but I remember it was hidden pretty well when I bought them.