1.    #1  
    I ran into some issues with my first Mugen 1400 and the company very quickly and kindly replaced it. But, the instructions I received the second time were MUCH more detailed.

First, these instructions not only said to charge for at least 12 hours, but specified, "regardless of whether the battery is done charging".

Second, they said to deplete and recharge 4-5 times before the battery is up to full performance BUT, to charge 8-12 hours each time, for those first 4-5 times.

Third, and most relevant to this post... the directions said to NEVER deplete the battery down to zero, as this can damage it. This is contrary to the calibrating function on Dr. Battery, which takes the battery down to zero, and between 3.41 and 3.48 v.

So... does this mean it's not safe to calibrate a Mugen battery? My first battery never got better than 94% and I did calibrate it. Does Dr. Battery need to be updated to calibrate at a level above 0? Can that be done?

Hope this is helpful.

Thanks!
    "If you can't view and manage multiple apps, via multiple open windows, side-by-side, it's not multi-tasking, PERIOD." - Me
    Just got the same battery. Just charge it for 8-12 hours. Use it for a day and when it gets under 100 mAh charge it for 8-12 hours. Etc. I did that for 4 days and everything was fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by arrasmith View Post
    Just got the same battery. Just charge it for 8-12 hours. Use it for a day and when it gets under 100 mAh charge it for 8-12 hours. Etc. I did that for 4 days and everything was fine.
    i did same,,i see no reason to calabrate a brand new battery. I just followed them instructions you just posted and my mugan is awsome.
    Perhaps this is why Palm is not using this battery for the Pre 2 -- too much trouble. Mugen should be doing all this discharging and recharging before they ship it out to the users ready to go on day one, instead of making the users do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by jelks View Post
    Perhaps this is why Palm is not using this battery for the Pre 2 -- too much trouble. Mugen should be doing all this discharging and recharging before they ship it out to the users ready to go on day one, instead of making the users do it.
    There are different schools of thought on conditioning a new battery. Some manufacturers say that you need to completely charge/discharge the battery a few times to get its full potential.

The article below from BatteryUniversity.com says that no "training" is needed.

Charging Lithium-ion batteries

Preparing new lithium-ion for use

Unlike nickel and lead-based batteries, a new lithium-ion pack does not need cycling through charging and discharging. Priming will make little difference because the maximum capacity of lithium-ion is available right from the beginning. Neither does a full discharge improve the capacity of a faded pack.
    The following statement from the article confirms that periodic calibration is needed (at least that's the way I understand it.)

However, a full discharge/charge will reset the digital circuit of a 'smart' battery to improve the state-of-charge estimation.
  6.    #6  
    So, I have charged and discharged my new Mugen 1400 twice (I think) and, this afternoon it showed 100% and 1496mAh when I took it off the charger. Should I do another 2-3 full charge/discharge cycles before just topping off? Of assume that, since it hit over 1400mAh, it is ready to roll?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Trekker View Post
    There are different schools of thought on conditioning a new battery. Some manufacturers say that you need to completely charge/discharge the battery a few times to get its full potential.

The article below from BatteryUniversity.com says that no "training" is needed.

Charging Lithium-ion batteries

The following statement from the article confirms that periodic calibration is needed (at least that's the way I understand it.)
    "If you can't view and manage multiple apps, via multiple open windows, side-by-side, it's not multi-tasking, PERIOD." - Me
    Quote Originally Posted by pelikan3 View Post
    So, I have charged and discharged my new Mugen 1400 twice (I think) and, this afternoon it showed 100% and 1496mAh when I took it off the charger. Should I do another 2-3 full charge/discharge cycles before just topping off? Of assume that, since it hit over 1400mAh, it is ready to roll?
    Good readings...I would think that it's ready to go.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Trekker View Post
    Good readings...I would think that it's ready to go.
    Question... how quickly should the upper part of the charge drop off? It seems that I can top off at 100%, between 1424 and 1490-something. But, when I take it off the charger, it quickly drops to 96-97% and around 1398mAh.

Maybe a few more conditioning charges?

Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by pelikan3 View Post
    Question... how quickly should the upper part of the charge drop off? It seems that I can top off at 100%, between 1424 and 1490-something. But, when I take it off the charger, it quickly drops to 96-97% and around 1398mAh.
    You could try to see if it makes any difference. I don't have enough info to determine if conditioning a new battery actually helps or not. That reads really good for a Mugen, since it's only advertised as 1400.
    Just to answer the question of the op:
    Mugen answered it here. It's save.