Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I am looking for car stereos that I can connect my Pre Plus to via Bluetooth to play music...don't care about using for calling. Are there stereos that you can do this with without having to buy a Bluetooth adapter for the stereo?
    I have a Sony MEX-BT3800U and it works perfect with my pre. Stream music via bluetooth and works great on calls too. Comes complete, nothing additional needed. Look on Amazon for best deal.
    Even cheaper, I bought my daughter the Sony MEX-BT2700 and it too works great with the Pre. Automatically pairs when the car turns on and just works. She loves it.
  4.    #4  
    Awesome...thanks for the tips! Definitely checking both of those out.
    I have the inexpensive Dual XHD7714 and it works well. I also bought a Scosche BlueFusion Bluetooth Car Kit for $100 and it was great for integrating into my factory navigation head unit.

-Jay
  6.    #6  
    If I go with one of the Sony units, does it need to specify A2DP in order to stream music? I think Bluetooth headsets need to be A2DP, to stream music, but I haven't seen that on any of the stereos.

Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by YankBoy View Post
    If I go with one of the Sony units, does it need to specify A2DP in order to stream music? I think Bluetooth headsets need to be A2DP, to stream music, but I haven't seen that on any of the stereos.

Thanks!
    Just was reading the descripton of the 3800 model on Amazon and it says it will stream music from your bluetooth device. I would love to have this in my car....thinking thinking.... I'm using a little adapter to plug my bluetooth headset that streams music into the auxilary on my car stereo to stream Pandora thru the stereo now.
    Jolie

"If my Pre were a man I'd marry him!"

I don't need to understand the way you think I need to, I understand the way I think I need to.
    VR3 ELITE VR500CS-BT works great, got it off a clearence shelf at target for $30 one day, i use my pixi with it and stream music via ampache, pandora, lostfm as well as locally stored mp3's. . Can't imagine you'll find one as cheaply, but looking around you might get lucky like we did.
    Quote Originally Posted by YankBoy View Post

Thanks!
    The Sony MEX-BT2700 and Sony MEX-BT3800U are definitely both A2DP and AVRCP compatible. My daughter loves her BT2700, and I'd probably replace the stereo in my car with one if I didn't have to replace the console front to install a single DIN stereo.
    My car has both an aux port and a USB slot in the center arm rest. I stuck a Blackberry Audio Gateway in there. It gets power from USB and sends audio via the aux port. It's pretty cheap and doesn't require changing the factory radio, which more than meets my needs. PC has them. You can probably find them cheaper elsewhere.

It works well for me w/my Pre. I just stick my Pre on my in-car touchstone, and off I go. When I'm using Navigation, it quiets the music a little bit, announces the Nav direction, and then goes back to music.
    Twitter: dullgeek
    Global Posts
    236 Global Posts
    I'm going to get a new head unit soon too and I want the bluetooth integration. But I don't know which one to choose just yet...either the Sony Mex-BT2800 which I'am guessing is the BT2700 in the posts above or the other Sony Mex-BT3800. Just a 30 dollar price difference on Amazon with my Prime account right now and the only real difference I can see is that the 3800 has a USB plug on the front. Do you think the USB in front is worth the extra cash since i'll mostly be using the bluetooth due to the fact that Palm Pre's are awesome? I don't think it can charge the pre or anything, maybe good for an ipod....
    Je fais ce que je veux avec mes cheveux!!! Sprint: Pre+ 2.1
    If you don't mind the price difference I'd probably go with the 3800, especially if you don't already have a car charger.

BT does put a bigger drain on the battery so the USB port gives you another option for music on long drives. Also, I'm sure it can charge the Pre, though like plugging it into a PC it'll only deliver 550ma instead of the car charger's 1000ma, so it won't charge as fast. Even if you already have a car charger this gives you another USB port for your passenger to charge with, if needed.
    I have a JVC KD-HDR50 with the JVC KS-BTA200 bluetooth adapter. Works great! It is really difficult to find a head unit that has both bluetooth and HD Radio. I was able to get both with this headunit plus a bluetooth adapter! The JVC is not the most user friendly unit to set up, but it does a good job controlling all of my sources and switches nicely between any source and phone whenever a call comes in.

Good luck!
    Global Posts
    236 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wtgreen View Post
    If you don't mind the price difference I'd probably go with the 3800, especially if you don't already have a car charger.

BT does put a bigger drain on the battery so the USB port gives you another option for music on long drives. Also, I'm sure it can charge the Pre, though like plugging it into a PC it'll only deliver 550ma instead of the car charger's 1000ma, so it won't charge as fast. Even if you already have a car charger this gives you another USB port for your passenger to charge with, if needed.
    yeah I ordered the 3800 this morning and should be here Friday. :-)
    Let us know how you like it. I'm considering doing the same.

Where did you order from?
    Global Posts
    236 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by scheumanrj View Post
    Let us know how you like it. I'm considering doing the same.

Where did you order from?
    I will. I ordered from Amazon.
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    If you have a large MP3 collection you can throw it on a thumb-drive (flash drive) and plug it in the 3800 and play them.
    Visor/Sprint Springboard Expansion Module > Visor Platinum > Tungsten E > Centro (work) > Palm Pre
  18.    #18  
    Thanks for all the tips. I went the economical route and got a Sony MEX BT2700 off of Ebay for $50. All I'm interesed in is Bluetooth music streaming. It's a demo unit from a dealer, but in great cosmetic shape. I got a little scare when my Pre Plus didn't recognize the stereo's Bluetooth at first, but it picked it up on the second try. Music streams great from Pandora...CD quality. I just fire up the Bluetooth and Pandora on my Pre Plus, slap it on my Touchstone and I'm on my way. A great little set up.
    Is it possible for the pre to pair up to 2 devices?
    I have an 06 prius and have the BT phone system but was thinking about getting a bluetooth=> 3.5mm dongle and plug that in to do Audio.
    Unfortunately, no. It cannot be connected to two devices simultaneously, which is very annoying because it's supported by the BT specification. You cannot be connected to one HFP device (for phone calls) and a different A2DP device (for music). You can switch between the two devices, but you cannot be connected to both at the same time.

I'm hoping Palm improves this with WebOS 2.0 since it does appear they are making some BT improvements, but it's just wishful thinking and I have no reason to expect it.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast