1.    #1  
    Anyone using one of those with a Palm Pre? Does it work well?

Sorry, my post count is too low to post a link but I just saw this advertized at The Source for $19.99 and I'm wondering if it's worth getting one for my Pre. They have a pic of one plugged into a Pre.
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    for emergency phone calls it will do but if you want to charge your phone, there are better options (duracell instant charger, etc). Good luck!
  3.    #3  
    I'm think more about carrying it in my pocket in case my battery goes low while I'm away from home. Kinda like a spare battery. Gonna google that Duracell Instant Charger. Thanks.
    Cheaper to just buy a spare battery and carry it with you, then you also get several more hours of use!
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    Global Posts
    468 Global Posts
    Thought about that when I first dot my Pre, then got an extended battery and had the original one as a spare. Definitely great for traveling or if you are going to be out for extended periods of time.
    Quote Originally Posted by verwon View Post
    Cheaper to just buy a spare battery and carry it with you, then you also get several more hours of use!
    Well. excpt:

1) its not that much cheaper, pretty much the same really (duracell anyway)
    2) have to pull battery to switch which means cant continue conversation if running low and the huge boot time before back up and running.
    3) If relying on spare battery then you need to keep it charged. So have to put in in the pre or buy and carry a extra charger stand to keep spare battery. With the instant chargers can keep them charged up on any usb port available and can have both pre battery and backup topped up easily

Now I do carry a spare battery often but I actually think the instant charger thing is better for most situations where I have run low on the road
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by midmofan View Post
    Well. excpt:

1) its not that much cheaper, pretty much the same really (duracell anyway)
    2) have to pull battery to switch which means cant continue conversation if running low and the huge boot time before back up and running.
    3) If relying on spare battery then you need to keep it charged. So have to put in in the pre or buy and carry a extra charger stand to keep spare battery. With the instant chargers can keep them charged up on any usb port available and can have both pre battery and backup topped up easily

Now I do carry a spare battery often but I actually think the instant charger thing is better for most situations where I have run low on the road
    And you can charge most other USB devices as well.
  8.    #8  
    Thanks for the input, folks.
    Quote Originally Posted by dennilfloss View Post
    Anyone using one of those with a Palm Pre? Does it work well?

Sorry, my post count is too low to post a link but I just saw this advertized at The Source for $19.99 and I'm wondering if it's worth getting one for my Pre. They have a pic of one plugged into a Pre.
    I bought one of those a few months back. Its plug broke a week later.
    Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    As convenient as the cheaper external batteries are for feature phones, they don't have the juice to be of much use to a smartphone. A spare battery is far more useful, given that it doubles your away from charger life, even accepting the inconvenience of opening the back of the phone to swap out. The external chargers that can double or more the life of a Pre cost $60+. Not that they aren't quite useful in their own right, it's a different price category from the Energizer microcharger.
    energizer have better portable battery backs that are not too much more, which are also recharchable, not sure the model of the one I have but it works very well
    Quote Originally Posted by BigGP View Post
    The external chargers that can double or more the life of a Pre cost $60+. Not that they aren't quite useful in their own right, it's a different price category from the Energizer microcharger.
    I've been using one of these for about 6 months now: DealExtreme: $13.83 Rechargeable USB Emergency Power Backup Pack 2400mAh

Mathematically you'll get close to two charges out of it (never stressed it with more than one recharge, since I never needed to) and the price is unbeatable. Sure, it's ugly as hell, but since it does not reside on my desk all the time I can live with form following function.
    'til we meet again.
    THL
    I saw the commercial on it... Not interested at all. I think it would be better to use an official approve palm charger and nothing else.
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by THL View Post
    I've been using one of these for about 6 months now: DealExtreme: $13.83 Rechargeable USB Emergency Power Backup Pack 2400mAh
    How long does it take to give the Pre a pretty good bump with this one?
    Define a pretty good bump. Recent example: I was stuck on the train two days ago due to some technical issue, so the train stood an hour in the middle of nowhere. During that time, the battery dropped to 0, so I plugged the charger in. During an hour of heavy use (listening to music while playing PDK games) battery went up from 0 to approx. 35%. I expect this to happen much quicker, when it's idling.
    'til we meet again.
    THL
    Pre extended battery is the way to go! energizer battery pack, i got one and returned it the next day, did not even test charge and discharge times and what not, because the phone did not slide in or out with the energizer plugged in; epic fail. The original size of the pre is very fidily and awkward in my opinion, with an extended battery the phone feels a lot more solid and nicer to slide. I would recommend the 2800MAH extended battery, either mugen or amzer, this is medium sized, i guess, versus the larger 3800's. I can easily make it 2 days without a charge with my mugen 2800mah.
    Last edited by atesh_vg; 10/26/2010 at 04:33 PM.
    Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by THL View Post
    Not bad. Thanks for the tip!
    Quote Originally Posted by atesh_vg View Post
    I would recommend the 2800MAH extended battery, either mugen or amzer, this is medium sized, i guess, versus the larger 3800's. I can easily make it 2 days without a charge with my mugen 2800mah.
    Valid point, if you have the money. That, plus I'm a touchstone addict. Yes, I know there's someone, who'll mod the backs, but then I'm back to sentence #1.
    'til we meet again.
    THL