Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I'm in the market for a new router, preferably an adsl one but a cable one is fine, im sure I can find a modem from somewhere to hook up to it.

At present I have 3 options (open to more)
    AirPort Extreme Base Station - Apple Store (UK)
    RANGEMAX WIRELESS- N GIGABIT ROUTER
    Cisco – Linksys E3000 High-Performance Wireless-N Router

While I have head good things of those 3 routers there is also the odd negative thread I have found which makes me weary of each, though if any of you have those routers feel free to tell me how you find them.

my criteria being the router has the following

• 802.11 N, dual band
    • Gigabit ethernet
    • Usb port
    • strong signal, my house isn't huge, the back of my house does not get any signal
    • easy port forwarding, general setup, and mac friendly

The majority of computers in my house are macs, but there are a bunch of phones that use wifi (htc's iphones and my pre) and game consoles.

oh and NO BELKIN I have had enough of there crappy products
    Hi Kel101,

I just picked up a new router for my place and was looking for a similar device as you. I ended up buying a "Netgear WGR614" for under $40 (refurbished for $15 - which is what I grabbed). It was pretty easy to set up and has worked fantastic for my Pre. I wish I had gotten one long ago. I don't think you can go too wrong with most of the choices out there for wireless.

<<thread moved>>
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    The Netgear WGR614, as above, is what I have.
    Visor/Sprint Springboard Expansion Module > Visor Platinum > Tungsten E > Centro (work) > Palm Pre
    I have had quite a few listed above but so far the best one I have used by far,for me anyway,is the one I use now from verizon fios.
  5.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by RafRol View Post
    The Netgear WGR614, as above, is what I have.
    Unfortunately I need a 802.11 N router, G wont cut it in my house

While that gives me an idea, it really narrows it down to the Netgear 3700 and the Apple router, both similar price and similar features

Quote Originally Posted by zmann View Post
    I have had quite a few listed above but so far the best one I have used by far,for me anyway,is the one I use now from verizon fios.
    As I am in the UK I cant get that one, thanks for the suggestion though
    I upgraded to the Cisco/Linksys E3000 about a month ago. Couldn't be happier. We have 3 PCs hooked up via ethernet, two Macs via wireless, a PC via wireless, and 5 handhelds including my Pre. No matter how many folks are online, it's zip, zip, zip including in my basement office (router upstairs) through several walls. Installation was a snap including making it secure with a password. It also has a "guest" link so people can use it if you give them a special guest password but they cannot access your network. I have not used the option to hook up a external hard drive for network storage. My ISP is via Comcast high speed cable.

I have the Sprint Airave hooked up to it and it works fine (although Sprint took a long time to configure it for me!).

Disclaimer: I have always had Linksys products, so I don't have anything to compare it to.

However, I have never had a tech company with better tech support. It seems I can just call anytime and I get right through and they are great to work with. (And, no, I don't work for them.)

Hope this helps and good luck in your search!
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kel101 View Post
    Unfortunately I need a 802.11 N router, G wont cut it in my house
    Doh!

I should have read your post more thoroughly. :-/
    Visor/Sprint Springboard Expansion Module > Visor Platinum > Tungsten E > Centro (work) > Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    Is there an advantage with the AirPort since you have Macs? If so, then that should be your first choice.
    I like my Netear DGN2000. It is a combo ADSL and wireless N router. Easy to set up but it does not have a USB port.
    Global Posts
    518 Global Posts
    I also have a Netgear WGR614, I got it from my old ISP it works great! Streaming Netflix to my Wii and connecting 1 PC via Ethernet and 3 others over wifi and 2 cellphones... not a hicup! But I am a networking master! lol
    Ħ╬čųβΔ
    Sent from my HTC Evo 4G
    First off, I have to say I am a huge, huge fan of Netgear's enterprise level products. These are the ones that come in the blue metal boxes. However, their consumer-grade products are definitely not of the same quality. I had a WGR-614 and used it for 3 or 4 years without a problem, and then the wireless radio stopped working. Maybe I got my money's worth, but I don't think so. 3-4 years is not what I consider an acceptable lifetime. I replaced it with a WNR-2000, which I am still using, but it will not hold a connection with N-mode turned on. In order for me to use the wireless without having to constantly reconnect or reboot the router, I had to disable N and use G only. Kind of defeats the point. And if you look on Newegg, you will find lots of 1-star reviews for the WNR-3500 for this exact same reason.

So I would avoid the Netgear consumer-level stuff. Apparently according to the Newegg reviews, there are similar problems with the E3000, although I have no experience with that model myself.

But anytime I see a "C"-shaped review pattern on Newegg (lots of positives, little to no mid-range, then a bunch of 1-star reviews), that always raises red flags in my mind. A lot of people write positive reviews just after using the device for a very short while, but if there's a spike in 1-star reviews, they are usually from people who have had the device for a long time and it has failed.

If I were going to buy an N-router today, I would have to choose between two devices. The first is the Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH. It's on the inexpensive side, and while it does have some 1-star reviews, most indicate an earlier revision, or are from people who installed custom firmware. So as long as you get a recent revision and stick with the stock firmware, it seems like a good choice.

But if I wanted to buy one router and be done with it without having to worry about anything, it would definitely be the Netgear SRXN-3205. I have installed many of these for clients, and they all just plain work and keep on working. They are not cheap, but I think this is probably an instance of getting what you pay for. Consumers want cheap routers so manufacturers have to feed that desire, but it looks like in order to do so they have to make compromises. The SRXN-3205 compromises nothing. After installing one of these and configuring it, I have never had to mess with any of them again. Never! Not once! That's saying something.
    Quote Originally Posted by H-Cubed View Post
    I also have a Netgear WGR614, I got it from my old ISP it works great! Streaming Netflix to my Wii and connecting 1 PC via Ethernet and 3 others over wifi and 2 cellphones... not a hicup! But I am a networking master! lol
    Where were you when I was trying to connect my sister's router earlier today? Nothing but trouble!
  13.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    You make some very valid points, looked a bit more on the Netgear and there seem to be a lot of complaints about its usb support, and people have a lot of problems with them.

Though the buffalo seems tempting, I have no experience with their products and do not want to risk it at present.

Thanks to everyone who contributed, I think I am going to buy the Apple router and see how it goes, worst case is I return it and try the netgear or the buffalo. will update when I get the apple router.
    Good Luck kel101... be sure to update this thread with what your experiences so other future members can benefit if they have the same questions
  15.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    Good Luck kel101... be sure to update this thread with what your experiences so other future members can benefit if they have the same questions
    Appreciated, It's just Kel btw
    Global Posts
    518 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bevcraw View Post
    Where were you when I was trying to connect my sister's router earlier today? Nothing but trouble!
    At work for Time Warner Cable!
    Ħ╬čųβΔ
    Sent from my HTC Evo 4G
    Just a note of experience with LaCie NAS drives, I've seen two of them die at work this month and had one personally which died after a couple of years. I would avoid them.
    I love my ASUS RT-N16.
    I recently picked up a new Cisco router, it was cake to set up, has a neat little program to customize all of you options right on your computer, as opposed to a website as I have had to use in the past, and it sets up a guest connection as well which I thought was neat. Also looks pretty sleek if you ask me. Not a ton of experience with other routers but I have been super happy with the connection, wifi on computers and phones.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast