1.    #1  
    Bluetooth Stereo Automation | robmausser

Here is a little personal project that I have been working on for the past month or so. Check my blog above to see pics and stuff. I wrote this for my blog so I am speaking in a way that I am sure 99% of you already know what I am talking about.

Basically, the Palm Pre comes with Stereo Bluetooth to listen to music wirelessly on music peripherals like headphones and stereos. You can also buy something called a “Touchstone” for it which is a magnetic inductive charger. What this means is that you can charge the Pre without even plugging any cables into it, it does it through induction.
    Vent Mount

So, these Touchstones only come for your desk, but I modded it to work in my car with a Sprint MicroUSB car charger and by sawing off and epoxying it to a universal GPS vent mount. This way I can use the Turn-by-Turn Navigation app and Google Maps on my Pre like a GPS car unit.

Then, I purchased a Sony Xplod Bluetooth Car Stereo, so that my Pre could wirelessly play music through the car stereo.

The pièce de résistance is this developer app called Mode Switcher, that lets you define different events on your Palm Pre. Its a lot like Automator for Mac OSX.

So, I programmed within Mode Switcher that upon the Pre being docked onto my Touchstone AND connecting to the Sony Xplod via Bluetooth (I have a Touchstone on my desk at home and don’t want these events happening then too, only when I am in my car) that a couple events happen:

-The Pre’s CPU overclocks to 800mhz (this is because it gets a bit sluggish when I am using Google Maps, Turn-by-Turn Navigation and the music app together with bluetooth stereo)

-The screens brightness maximizes to 100% for good visibility

-The Music app on my Pre automatically opens and starts off where I left off listening to music.

So this way, all I have to do is put my phone on the docking car charger I built and voila, my music magically starts again through my car speakers.

When I take the phone off the car charger, it then stops the music and closes the music app, and puts everything back to the normal brightness and settings I want for my phone in daily use.

Also: when connected to the Bluetooth Car Stereo, I can answer calls through my car stereo, and it mutes and pauses the music when I am chatting, starting the music up again from where I left off when I end the call…

Heres a video of it in action:

Pretty coool….
    Very coool!!
    A cool idea, but...

The music app *doesn't* pick up where you left off after you close it, so I'm not sure what you're talking about there.

I do have my Palm (first Pre, now Pixi) set to Overclock+Activate Music when on my car touchstone and connected to bluetooth, but I still have to select music before it will play. Not really automatic, but the best I can get.

iPod, on the other hand, automatically remembers what song it was previously playing, and goes right to it. I now actually bluetooth both of them in the car at once.

I have a MotoROKR something something, and it is smart enough to play music through the iPod, yet let the Pixi have priority when a call comes through. It's not perfect, but pretty nice.
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by twilightomni View Post
    A cool idea, but...

The music app *doesn't* pick up where you left off after you close it, so I'm not sure what you're talking about there.

I do have my Palm (first Pre, now Pixi) set to Overclock+Activate Music when on my car touchstone and connected to bluetooth, but I still have to select music before it will play. Not really automatic, but the best I can get.

iPod, on the other hand, automatically remembers what song it was previously playing, and goes right to it. I now actually bluetooth both of them in the car at once.

I have a MotoROKR something something, and it is smart enough to play music through the iPod, yet let the Pixi have priority when a call comes through. It's not perfect, but pretty nice.
    I'm assuming you mean it doesn't automatically play from where you left off correct? I haven't used the default music app in ages but Remix and NanPlayer both go to the point where you left off in a song. You do have to click "Resume play" to actually start playing the music though.

I have a similar setup in my car for Mode Switcher except its keyed to the headset/mic - I use the MotoRokr thing too but for voice. I have a iDrive thing for music (better radio reception). If someone calls the ringing goes through the speakers on the car fading out the music and all I have to switch to the preset station to get the phone call.

Mode Switcher is great!! rmausser's car solution was the only reason I installed it at first but since I've found some other cool modes to use.
    Last edited by solarus; 10/14/2010 at 03:03 PM.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by twilightomni View Post
    A cool idea, but...

My appologies, I have been using Music Remix since the day I bought my Pre, so I kinda forgot the regular Music app for the Pre even exists.

I am using Music Remix 2.0 to autoplay where I left off.
    Quote Originally Posted by solarus View Post
    You do have to click "Resume play" to actually start playing the music though.
    If you go into the Preferences in Music Player (Remix), you can choose to auto-resume when you load the app (without having to tap "Resume Play").
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Twitter: @Hedami
    how do u keep the touchstone on the mount?
    i've used industrial velcro but it gets too hot on a warm day and the gravity kicks in.
    Nice. you should post this in the accessories forum to get some better responses. Here is my setup, recently added mode switcher as well.

http://forums.precentral.net/2585254-post700.html
    I didn't realize Music Player Remix could do that. I might have to check that out.
    Where did you get the vent mount?
    Almost the same setup in my car! It's a great use for Mode Switcher.

My default profile keeps Bluetooth off to save battery life, but I have a "Full Power" mode trigger to turn it on when it's on the charger. Then, pairing with the car stereo's Bluetooth triggers the "Car" mode which keeps the screen on and launches Music Remixed. It's sweet. I installed a Scosche Bluetooth module for my Toyota factory navigation unit/stereo and it pairs fine and uses AVRCP. Plus the car's buit in GPS can talk over the A2DP audio. Only oddity is the Scosche module lowers the volume on the first1 second of each new track. I also soldered a 12v socket onto the ACC lines of the car's 12V socket so the Palm charger is hidden behind the dash. Only 1" of USB cable is seen from where it exits the dash and connects to the touchstone. I like a clean look. I used a few strips of 1/2" 3M double sided tape to secure the touchstone. I's stayed secure even through the hot Florida summer.
  12.    #12  
    I bought the mount at Best Buy. Normally I would buy such a thing online for much cheaper but I really wanted to make sure it would work with my vent mounts and be able to easily return it.

Quote Originally Posted by friedchicken View Post
    how do u keep the touchstone on the mount?
    i've used industrial velcro but it gets too hot on a warm day and the gravity kicks in.
    Its just a universal GPS mount that came with some attachments for different GPS units.

I just took the flattest one, and then removed the "sticky ring" on the bottom of my Touchstone.

Then I just used Epoxy resin to glue the touchstone to the GPS mount.

So I am SOL if I want to use the touchstone in other ways but I already have one on my desk at home, I am cool with this being its permanent home.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhajj View Post
    Almost the same setup in my car! It's a great use for Mode Switcher.

My default profile keeps Bluetooth off to save battery life, but I have a "Full Power" mode trigger to turn it on when it's on the charger.
    Thats a real good idea but it wont work with my situation.

I have 3 other touchstones (I know...selfish... I raided a radioshack)

and the other 3 I DONT want to turn on this mode.

So I have Mode Switcher state to ONLY turn to this mode if both the Pre is on the touchstone AND it connects to Stereo Bluetooth, as then it 'knows' I am using the touchstone in my car and not the other 3.

Plus I have another mode for my stereo bluetooth headphones, so I gotta keep Bluetooth on all day.

Honestly though, with email, facebook, foursquare, twitter, AP mobile, GPS fix, Google Latitude Updater polling every 30 minutes, its the least of my battery worries.

Hence the 4 touchstones lol.
    massuer, how do you set up mode switcher to differentiate between different bt connections so it knows I am in the car. I have to change radios, I have a pyle and if the phone connects when I enter the car the music won't play. Have to disconnect and reconnect again again. While my sony explod in other car works fisrt time, sucks. Also when it powers up it defaults to radio. So anyone thinking of buying a pyle dvd because of the fairly cheap price, don't do it.
  15.    #15  
    I only have one bluetooth car stereo and one bluetooth headphone unit.

Luckily I dont have this problem because the headphones are 'off' unless I turn them on manually.

When I said differentiate I meant that its a "bluetooth stereo" connection as opposed to "headset".

Are you having the Bluetooth connection and touchstone trigger Music Remix 2.0 or another music app to start? If so, maybe set the music app to delay open after 15 seconds, effectively giving the Pyle 15 seconds to properly connect before the music app opens.

That may fix the connection issue.

If not, maybe set a mode switcher to connect to the bluetooth, then to turn off and turn the bluetooth automatically and reconnect. This would effectively "automate" your resetting procedure for the Pyle. It would do it on the xplod too, but who cares, it will still work in the end.
    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
    I only have one bluetooth car stereo and one bluetooth headphone unit.

Luckily I dont have this problem because the headphones are 'off' unless I turn them on manually.

When I said differentiate I meant that its a "bluetooth stereo" connection as opposed to "headset".

Are you having the Bluetooth connection and touchstone trigger Music Remix 2.0 or another music app to start? If so, maybe set the music app to delay open after 15 seconds, effectively giving the Pyle 15 seconds to properly connect before the music app opens.

That may fix the connection issue.

If not, maybe set a mode switcher to connect to the bluetooth, then to turn off and turn the bluetooth automatically and reconnect. This would effectively "automate" your resetting procedure for the Pyle. It would do it on the xplod too, but who cares, it will still work in the end.
    Thanks, for the suggestion. How do you get mode switcher to turn bt on and off?