Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I have a fine 2009 Denali with BT that works great with the Pre...but it doesn't have A2DP. While I can certainly run a cord to the in jack on the car, I'd rather stream (especially given the problems with headphone jacks). Several companies make these A2DP dongles (Buy.com - Bluetooth 3.5mm A2DP Stereo Audio HiFi Dongle Adapter Receiver Transmitter).

These are my questions:
    1. Will this work if I plug the dongle into the car's audio in-jack and stream from the phone to the dongle?
    2. If it does, will it also work in terms of the phone services, voice dialing, etc? i.e. can the phone connect to the car/phone and the dongle at the same time?
  2.    #2  
    Let me bump this and just ask if the Pre can connect to more than one device at a time?
    I just bought a Scosche Motormouth II, I paid 80

Phone conversations are good. but ad2p sounds horrible. I don't know if it's the pre or the device though. I have a 2008 chevy equinox. Outside of ad2p this thing functions great though. My radio automatically changes to the aux port when streaming music or taking a call and goes back to normal radio afterwards. To get voice dialing to work though we'll have to wait on palm.
    Palm Pro->m505->Zodiac 2->Treo 680->Treo Pro->Pre+
    I have a Samsung Modus bluetooth that streams music. I bought a dongle to hook into my aux jack on my car radio, my bluetooth headset connects to the dongle and then I stream Pandora (or any music) thru my car stereo. I haven't used it for a call yet though. Sound is decent, just the volume is alittle lower than what the radio or cds are.
    Jolie

"If my Pre were a man I'd marry him!"

I don't need to understand the way you think I need to, I understand the way I think I need to.
    Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    I use a periphial electronics bluetooth adapter and media gateway. It works pretty good and gives you the phone number on the radio. Little expensive but it works good. I had a moto t505 but didn't like the static in the radio or low volume for music.
    nothing beats this:
    Palm Pre Touchstone Car Mount with Motorola T605 Bluetooth Adapter Review | L337Tech

i use this in my car. Its the best adapter i have seen or used (it is smart enough to automatically switch b/t audio mode and phone mode). Its fairly cheap too at $40.

number1pete
    L337tech.com
    Internet Radio - the best beats on the web

CPUScaling app L337Tech post

Super PreKernel app

If you appreciated any of my help, enjoy any of my apps that I give away for free, or want to see more development from me, think about making a donation. Thanks!
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by joliejolie0930 View Post
    I have a Samsung Modus bluetooth that streams music. I bought a dongle to hook into my aux jack on my car radio, my bluetooth headset connects to the dongle and then I stream Pandora (or any music) thru my car stereo. I haven't used it for a call yet though. Sound is decent, just the volume is alittle lower than what the radio or cds are.
    My assumption is that you don't have existing BT in your car. That's my situation and question. My car has a great BT system that does everything, voice dial, etc. It just doesn't do A2DP. I don't need speakers. My question is if I install a BT dongle in the aux jack and pair the Pre to it, will the auto BT continue to function as well as the music streaming? IN order to do this the Pre would have to be attached to two devices at once (the car and the BT dongle) and I can't seem to find out if that would work.
    Global Posts
    213 Global Posts
    I've got a 2005 bimmer 3-series with the builti-n BT functions in the car. Works great but no A2DP. For my tunes I got an iPod adapter and use the FIPO gateway to provide A2DP from the Pre. In this setup I have to choose if to connect to 'BMW' or 'FIPO' device. That is the bad news. I suspect that this is because of the programming on the part of the BMW system --specifically in that it 'steals' any A2DP (or whatever profile is signified with the music notes)-- and not because of the Pre's programming.

I have had dual BT connections for networking (BT tethering) and streaming going at the same time, but I think the OP is only interested in audio-related profiles. The BMW profile on the Pre shows up with a car icon. I'm not quite sure if it is HFP or what that is being used. So I suspect that the answer to the OP's question is 'it depends'. It depends on which profile(s) the two devices in question actually use to ascertain if two devices are possible at once.
    Palm Pilot -> IBM WorkPad -> Handspring Visor -> Palm VIIx -> Palm T|X -> Palm Pre -> US GSM Palm Pre 2 [shelved] and 16GB HP TouchPad [died] -> (Samsung GNex and 32GB HP Touchpad with CM9)
    Quote Originally Posted by davidra View Post
    My question is if I install a BT dongle in the aux jack and pair the Pre to it, will the auto BT continue to function as well as the music streaming? IN order to do this the Pre would have to be attached to two devices at once (the car and the BT dongle) and I can't seem to find out if that would work.
    No, the Pre cannot connect to two BT devices simultaneously. I wish it could.

I use a similar A2DP device to stream music and nav through my car stereo - the Sprint Anycom Bluetooth Music Station - but the device doesn't support phone calls, aka hands-free profile, HFP. You would think that I could have the Pre connected to my BT headset - which supports HFP but not A2DP - and the Anycom device simultaneously - which supports A2DP but not HFP - but it cannot. I can switch between the two devices from the Pre, but I can't be connected to both.

The Bluetooth spec supports multiple device connections with different profiles, but the Pre doesn't. There's a thread about this over in the Palm forums, and one of the Palm folks suggested leaving feedback about this deficiency, which I've done and suggest you do as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by wtgreen View Post
    No, the Pre cannot connect to two BT devices simultaneously. I wish it could.
    Updating some older threads so that people who posted and are subscribed to the threads will get updates... running WebOS 2.1 the Pre can now be connected to multiple BT devices simultaneously.
    Hmm I have tried to connect my Pre to my Jawbone Era and Car bluetooth and it won't connect at the same time.
    I haven't played with it too much since I've only had the update installed for a day, but I did find it won't let you explicitly connect each device from the Bluetooth Preferences menu.

However, I connected to my car - the FIPO in the picture above - and then turned on my BT headset, which then connected to my phone without disturbing the music that was playing. When the phone rang, the Pre switched to the headset and after the call, back to the speakers. I believe I took this screenshot after the call ended.
  13.    #13  
    That's very interesting. I still cannot find a BT dongle that is a receiver only that is small enough for a car jack and reasonably priced. There are lots of BT transmitting dongles, but no receivers.
    Quote Originally Posted by davidra View Post
    That's very interesting. I still cannot find a BT dongle that is a receiver only that is small enough for a car jack and reasonably priced. There are lots of BT transmitting dongles, but no receivers.
    I use the Satechi SoundFly BT. It's about $60 on Amazon. The hardware is very solid, though the UI leaves a bit to be desired. The pictures don't show it very well, but it's pretty small, which is nice.
    There's also the BluBridge RX and the Blackberry Bluetooth Stereo Gateway. The BluBridge RX is quite small, and while I don't have one yet, I do have the BluBridge transmitter which works quite well.
  16.    #16  
    Might spring for the Blubridge...the problem with the Soundfly appears to be that it plays through the FM stations...I've never had anything that worked well without interference that used an FM converter. Keeping it charged could be a pain, though.
  17.    #17  
    Updating some older threads so that people who posted and are subscribed to the threads will get updates... running WebOS 2.1 the Pre can now be connected to multiple BT devices simultaneously.
    I am wondering if the same pairing scheme might work with 1.45. Will give this a try with a separate headset...
    FYI, I just got the BluBridge RX for another project and it works well with the Pre. It's smaller than a pack of gum, and while the battery lasts a long time, it's nice that it's charged via a USB plug and it continues to work while charging.
  19.    #19  
    FYI, I just got the BluBridge RX for another project and it works well with the Pre. It's smaller than a pack of gum, and while the battery lasts a long time, it's nice that it's charged via a USB plug and it continues to work while charging.
    I'm sure I'll be getting it. Just out of curiosity did you try it in the setup you described above (i.e. connecting to two devices with 2.1?). I did try that same arrangement (using a Lubix headset and the car BT) with 1.45 and it won't work. Just one at a time.
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    I've used my pixi and pre with a Sony bluetooth head-unit I got for about $140, works great with A2DP. let's me control the music apps, end calls, but no on stereo directory
    ...This programming stuff is actually addictive but really hard :/
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast