1.    #1  

Does anyone here know of a good solar mobile phone charger? What I like doing is charging the solar charger during the day, so I can then use that power to charge my mobile phone at night. I have a few solar chargers, but the ones that I have aren't strong enough to charge the Palm Pre. I prefer solar chargers with removable battries, but I would get a version without if I could just charge my Palm Pre with it.

Any suggestions?

Carrier: Sprint
    Device: Palm Pre
    Favorite App: NesEm
    Favorite Modification: UberKernel

just as long as it puts out 1000mA...
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    just as long as it puts out 1000mA...
    Is that how much power the Palm Pre needs during charging? That will make it even harder to find a good solar charger. Hopefully somone already has a solar charger that they use and can tell me what type to get. 1,000mA is just a huge amount of Amps for a small charger to put out. Thanks for the reference point though!

that is what the official charger puts out. Lower rating will charge slower, and may not fully charge. You get 500mA from a usbport, so maybe that would be a realistic minimum.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    that is what the official charger puts out. Lower rating will charge slower, and may not fully charge. You get 500mA from a usbport, so maybe that would be a realistic minimum.
    Yeah the charger won't charge the phone if the output is too low. That is what is happening now. Even when the chargers are put in direct sunlight (Solar Panel Charger & Batteries Used At The Sametime For Charging), the phone still won't charge. I don't think any of the chargers I have are 500mA though. A 500mAh solar charger is much easier to find then a 1,000mA , but I still come across too many results on Ebay and Amazon. I want to make sure before I buy another charger, that it will work correctly for a long time to come. Maybe even get lucky enough to find an Amercian made solar charger. Thanks Cantaffordit for your help!

it's been reported if you do less then 1000ma your phone will drain while doing hard work like listening to music or doing nav... if you find one that is lets say 800... i would disable gps/data/wifi/bluetooth while charging it... and it should work. I mean you are sleeping/not using it so it should charge it!! last thing you need is an email to wake you up saying someone replied to your post at 10:34pm EST!

just found this on youtube not sure on specs yet
    Last edited by antonio3; 09/16/2010 at 09:43 PM.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by antonio3 View Post
    it's been reported if you do less then 1000ma your phone will drain while doing hard work like listening to music or doing nav... if you find one that is lets say 800... i would disable gps/data/wifi/bluetooth while charging it... and it should work. I mean you are sleeping!! last thing you need is an email to wake you up saying someone replied to your post at 10:34pm EST!
    That's a really smart idea! It's something that is so simple but I never thought about it before. Turning of the different chipsets like Bluetooth, WiFi, ect, would make it easier to charge the phone overall. Thanks for the advice!!

Quote Originally Posted by antonio3 View Post
    it's been reported if you do less then 1000ma your phone will drain while doing hard work like listening to music or doing nav... if you find one that is lets say 800... i would disable gps/data/wifi/bluetooth while charging it... and it should work. I mean you are sleeping/not using it so it should charge it!! last thing you need is an email to wake you up saying someone replied to your post at 10:34pm EST!
    that's not entirely correct. The usb port on a pc puts out 500mA.
    I got one, and don't bother.

It will take, first, direct sunlight (bright, very bright) and then it will take more than a day to charge a Pre from 50% (not even dead)!

I also invested in the Naztech Energy Cell, which is a battery/holster and that for me worked the best.

I also have a few other USB chargers.

The Naztech is by far the best.

Don't waste your money on the solar stuff.

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

I have the solio solar charger and it's great. Small,light,has a clip.charges my pre very fast. I don't go anywhere with out it.
    o I forgot,also comes with many adapters so you can charge just about any device you have. You can plug it in and charge the charger up. or if there is no power in it all ya need is sun.
  12.    #12  
    I found some chargers on Ebay that "claim" they have a built-in 2,600mAh battery, with an output of 500mA. Has anyone used these before? Are they any good? I don't like the idea that the ones that are being sold as having 2,600mAh's, are the same size as the ones being sold with 1,000mAh. But some of them seem nice and possibly worth trying. I hate buying things from China, but I haven't yet found an American company that sells solar charges like the one I'm looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by zmann View Post
    I have the solio solar charger and it's great. Small,light,has a clip.charges my pre very fast. I don't go anywhere with out it.
    which model do you have? I see they have quite a selection on amazon.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Stroven Taulrok View Post
    which model do you have? I see they have quite a selection on amazon.
    I would also like to know. The only Solio I have ever seen, is the solar panel that opens into a star. Also, where is the charger you have made?

Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    I have the Solio Mono Hybrid charger and it does charge my Pre, not as fast as the Touchstone or car charger (of course). But I haven't tried using the solar charging system to recharge it much. I plug the Solio into an outlet to recharge and use it as a kind of spare external battery with multiple adapters to charge various devices. I've heard that it could take something like 24 hrs of bright, direct sunlight to fully charge, but I've never tried it myself.