Global Posts
    182 Global Posts
    I cannot find, but cannot believe doesn't exist, a 3.5mm headset (earbuds preferred) with mic and volume control. There are millions of them (including a very nice Palm branded pair I have for my Treo 680) with 2.5mm plugs, but I don't see any at 3.5mm.

Is there some technical reason why these things don't exist?

Can someone point me in the right direction?
    I use an adapter (3.5mm male,2.5mm female) with my old Plantronics and it works great. I don't know if volume control works or not. I got mine at Verizon, Part # SHA25-1, for about $3. BlackBerry, Part# HDW-15306-002 works also for about $9 on Amazon. Make sure it has 3 insulator rings on the male end, not 2.
    unless you get one with it's own power source, you won't be able to control volume from the headset. Even the ipod I'd like that.
    Global Posts
    182 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    unless you get one with it's own power source, you won't be able to control volume from the headset. Even the ipod I'd like that.
    Not true, at least for standard 2.5mm sets. The several pair I have have a volume nob on the bit with a mic/answer button (also a mute switch) that is clearly a gain control of some kind. It doesn't effect the phone's volume setting, so there are actually two ways to control the volume, but only the phone is powered. I have earphones (at 3.5mm) like that, too, but they lack a mic/answer button. I do't understand why at 2.5mm this is trivial, but non-existant at 3.5mm.

Is the underlying tech actually different?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    They may be hard to find, but they're not non-existent (or cheap). I have a Sennheiser headset for my pc with inline volume control and mic on/off. I also have a set of ipod earbuds that I use with my netbook that have inline volume control... no mic, though.

Edit**

JBL Roxy Reference 250... head down to a Best Buy and have a look at these. They're listed for around $40 at Best Buy, around $30 at Amazon. Neither of those places say anything about a volume control, but the CNET review says it has it. So run to BB and see if the CNET review is correct.
    Last edited by ScorpionSoul; 09/13/2010 at 11:18 AM.
    They are hard to find but out there. I prefer my Samsung Modus 3500 bluetooth headset, you can use it in one ear, stream music, if a call comes in it pauses the music until you hang up. If you want to use earbuds (ones you've purchased) it comes with an adapter to plug the earbuds into and a clip to attach to the headset to clip on your shirt or wherever. If a call comes in, it comes thru the earbuds and the mic on the headset you clip on your shirt. Best of both worlds and it's blue tooth!

Volume control is adjusted on the Samsung headset.
    Jolie

"If my Pre were a man I'd marry him!"

I don't need to understand the way you think I need to, I understand the way I think I need to.