Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1.    #1  
    I did not find this problem in an existing thread so I hope I'm not repeating.

    So I just bought a 6ft and a 1ft micro usb cables (from monoprice). I shaved the micro usb side so they fit in the touchstone and the 1ft cable works while the 6ft cable does not .

    The 6ft cable makes my pre charge for less than a second then it does not charge then it charges again and so on, in summary it's like if the cable had intermittent contact.

    Is there any known issue with cables longer than 5ft or do I need to short the data cables???

    Any help will be appreciated.

    PS. I'm using Palm's original wall charger.

    FYI the 6ft cable is for my bedroom (I need the additional foot the stock cable lacks) and the 1ft cable is for my car.
  2. #2  
    yep, best to stick with palm cables
    Run your ad here... reach thousands daily...



    ...Now accepting orders for my upcoming iHandle™.
    Reserve yours today!
  3. Speebs's Avatar
    Posts
    297 Posts
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    #3  
    I had the same problem with a cord that was barely longer than the Palm cord. According the Battery Monitor, it just wasn't supplying enough current. I wonder if a 1.2A charger would work.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Speebs View Post
    I had the same problem with a cord that was barely longer than the Palm cord. According the Battery Monitor, it just wasn't supplying enough current. I wonder if a 1.2A charger would work.
    I thought something similar but with the voltage, maybe the voltage drop is to big...

    Regarding the current I have a kill-a-watt watt-meter and it can also give me current, and connecting palm's cable directly to the pre I read 0.7A and connecting it trough the touchstone I get 0.8A... When I put the longer cable I read 0.7amps directly and trough the TS it draws only 0.1amps...

    But also I was checking and the palm's cable looks thinner than the longer one... the longer cable says 28AWG which should withstand up to 3A...

    So in summary, I don't know what's the problem, hehehe...
  5.    #5  
    Just as a follow up of my "problem"...

    I grabbed my multimeter and performed some measurements this weekend ...

    Both USB micro cables (palm and monoprice) present no voltage drop (and makes sense as they're not that long), I was reading 5VCD at the end (micro side) of both cables. And believe me, it is VERY hard to take measurements in those tiny connectors .

    On a different but similar experiment I bought a 1 foot USB extension (Male-Female USB A cable). I used palm's wall charger -> USB extension -> Palm's micro USB cable -> touchstone and it charged flawlessly, so now I'm 100% sure that there is in fact a difference in the cables and the problem is not because of the length.

    So right now I have the length I want but nonetheless I will continue the investigation because I want to know what is exactly happening here, I want to know why is one cable working and the other one not .
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by chav1to View Post
    Just as a follow up of my "problem"...

    I grabbed my multimeter and performed some measurements this weekend ...

    Both USB micro cables (palm and monoprice) present no voltage drop (and makes sense as they're not that long), I was reading 5VCD at the end (micro side) of both cables. And believe me, it is VERY hard to take measurements in those tiny connectors .

    On a different but similar experiment I bought a 1 foot USB extension (Male-Female USB A cable). I used palm's wall charger -> USB extension -> Palm's micro USB cable -> touchstone and it charged flawlessly, so now I'm 100% sure that there is in fact a difference in the cables and the problem is not because of the length.

    So right now I have the length I want but nonetheless I will continue the investigation because I want to know what is exactly happening here, I want to know why is one cable working and the other one not .
    There is definitely a difference. There has been some change in how microUSB cables are used/made (wikipedia will be a good start). That's why certain phones (notoriously blackberry, motorola, palm, etc) recommend you use their cables. I don't know how you could verify an unbranded cable for whatever the change is. Something to do with combining two wires for a power signal... over my head, but that would be a good thing to add to your investigation/explanation.
  7. Speebs's Avatar
    Posts
    297 Posts
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    There is definitely a difference. There has been some change in how microUSB cables are used/made (wikipedia will be a good start). That's why certain phones (notoriously blackberry, motorola, palm, etc) recommend you use their cables. I don't know how you could verify an unbranded cable for whatever the change is. Something to do with combining two wires for a power signal... over my head, but that would be a good thing to add to your investigation/explanation.
    I think that is just the shorting (connecting) of pins 2 and 3, which is how the Touchstone and some phones know that they are plugged into a charger as opposed to a simple USB port. It's really aggravating that everyone is trying to use proprietary cables so that they can charge us $40 for something that costs 30cents to make
  8.    #8  
    Well, here I am again... but I don't have much...

    I red about USB at Wikipedia as workerb33 suggested and I thought that maybe the cable that is not working is an A type micro USB rather than a B type so I cut the overmold of the microUSB side and at the cutting stage I cut also a couple of cables right at the solder joint so I could't tell if it was A type or B type so I solder the cables as if the cable was B type and still was not working well...

    Before all this I checked and the palm cable is B type. So that's not the problem and I don't have an idea of what it could be, and of course I will not destroy my palm cable just to check differences between both cables so right now I'm at a dead end...

    If I discover something new I will post it...

    So far the way to go if you want to have a longer cable is to buy a USB extension cable (A Male to A Female)...

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions