Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    834 Global Posts
    Okay, when I got my palm pre plus (past weekend) I got two, one for my gf. The guy at radio (I can't get used to calling them simply the) shack said to make sure we get screen protectors. So I bought a pack of universal ones they sold there, cut to size.

Turns out one of the two phones had a minor defect. As we intended to return it, didn't put a protector on that. Literally putting it back in the box it slipped and fell to the floor of the car, which resulted in several noticable scratches on the screen. grrr... supposedly radio shack manager will look at it to see if its swappable, only its not that radio shack since that one conveniently got rid of their entire inventory of them, but they found us another one, we'll see.

Anyway I put one of those screen protectors on the other one. It had a crap ton of bubbles, tried everything, no go. Finally tried to reapply it several times which scuffed it up and I ended up tossing it. Put a second one on... (it was a 5pack), same experience. I mean the phone worked, it just looked lousy especially when I wanted to show someone. A third attempt somehow resulted in a mote of something in the center, which created its own bubble. Attempting to remove this resulted in a mark on the screen protector and I ended up scrapping it too.

I went and bought a more expensive screen protector, one that came with a spray bottle that I hoped would solve this bubble problem. I put it on and it resulted in less bubbles, and all of them much smaller. But in trying to squeegee those out I found this new protector could mark on the outside. Worse, when using it, my finger would no longer slide. It stuck. Badly. Swipe gestures were had to do (could still do them, just not an easy swipe). I eventually used an exacto knife to cut off the portion over the gesture area (while it was pulled up, not on the phone surface mind you). this fixed that, and I figure who cares if it scratches in a non-screen area... but now there is a ridge as I swipe up from it, and when I do the same problem comes back.

grrr... is there a single screen protector that people can recommend that is both easy to apply, gets rid of bubbles and leaves the phone easily swipeable? Are there outfits that professionally install these in clean rooms?
    Last edited by ryleyinstl; 08/18/2010 at 09:09 PM. Reason: Thread title edited for language - we are a PG 13 forum
    Just don't use a screen protector and don't scratch your screen. I've never scratched my screen. Use that little pouch that comes with the phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
    Global Posts
    834 Global Posts
    I had assumed given how easily one of the two scratched that they were particularly susceptible.
    you have to let those dry overnight. The bubbles will disappear within a week. If it isn't slippery enough, a little carnauba wax takes care of it.

Here are all the opinions you could ever want on which one people like. FYI, BestBuy is closing out ZAGG covers for $5.99 right now. I use that brand, but it's a bit thicker than some of the others so I wouldn't have that brand if it wasn't so cheap.

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...tom-skinz.html
    Run your ad here... reach thousands daily...

...Now accepting orders for my upcoming iHandle™.
    Reserve yours today!
    takes about 3 or 4 days for bubbles to go away with a zagg shield,,says it right in the package. Also,u can have best buy install it for 10 bucks. Even if they do it you will have bubbles for a few days.
    Quote Originally Posted by aapold View Post
    grrr... is there a single screen protector that people can recommend that is both easy to apply, gets rid of bubbles and leaves the phone easily swipeable?
    I use ScreenGuardz for my Pre. The classic version comes in a 15-pack for $9.99.

Here is a hint about the bubbles...I use a credit card to get as many of the bubbles out as I can and then place the phone on the Touchstone at night. By morning, most, if not all of the bubbles are gone.
    Global Posts
    834 Global Posts
    That's the one I have, been on about 24 hours now, ok, there's hope. Also, great tip about the wax, will try that, thanks.
    I've used the seidio one with good sucess. One thing I found is to wet it slightly and apply wet and "squeegee" teh bubbles out with a credit....and then to come back 4-5 hrs later and remove any remaining bubbles.

the boxwave cleartouch was also great but more $$. I' like the glossier ones.
    Just don't use a screen protector and don't scratch your screen.
    Wate of time and money. Keep it in your pocket by itself and you will be fine.
    i understand your plight. Its easy to say don't put one on and don't scratch it, but accidents happen. I lent my Pre to a coworker to check her Facebook and she scratched the screen with her long fingernails swiping up and down the screen. Luckily I swapped that Pre out due to a fit and finish issue with the slider not lining up with the screen properly.

Workerb33 has it right. The bubbles should go away for the most part, and wax the screen to make it easier to swipe across.

I have an Invisible Shield. I had to order mine because Best Buy doesn't sell the Plus model screen guard. I paid Best Buy 8 bucks to install it but it looked like crap and the bubbles never went away and it was not lined up properly. I had to trim part of the screen protector on one side of the phone just to get it to slide open properly.

It ****ed me off so badly that I went back to Best Buy and got my money back for the installation then I went and found an Invisible Shield Kiosk at the mall. Since that is all they do, they know what they are doing. The guy who installed a replacement screen protector (for free since there is a lifetime warranty) did it so well that it lined up perfectly and had not a single bubble. It looks so awesome. I cannot emphasize enough how much better it will be just paying the few extra bucks and getting it done at the mall kiosk.

The downside to the screen protectors for the Pre is that the corners will eventually start catching dirt since the curved sides of the phone require the protector to be cut a certain way.

Here are some pix of my invisible Shield.

Quote Originally Posted by vasekvi View Post
    i understand your plight. Its easy to say don't put one on and don't scratch it, but accidents happen. I lent my Pre to a coworker to check her Facebook and she scratched the screen with her long fingernails swiping up and down the screen. Luckily I swapped that Pre out due to a fit and finish issue with the slider not lining up with the screen properly.

Workerb33 has it right. The bubbles should go away for the most part, and wax the screen to make it easier to swipe across.

I have an Invisible Shield. I had to order mine because Best Buy doesn't sell the Plus model screen guard. I paid Best Buy 8 bucks to install it but it looked like crap and the bubbles never went away and it was not lined up properly. I had to trim part of the screen protector on one side of the phone just to get it to slide open properly.

It ****ed me off so badly that I went back to Best Buy and got my money back for the installation then I went and found an Invisible Shield Kiosk at the mall. Since that is all they do, they know what they are doing. The guy who installed a replacement screen protector (for free since there is a lifetime warranty) did it so well that it lined up perfectly and had not a single bubble. It looks so awesome. I cannot emphasize enough how much better it will be just paying the few extra bucks and getting it done at the mall kiosk.

The downside to the screen protectors for the Pre is that the corners will eventually start catching dirt since the curved sides of the phone require the protector to be cut a certain way.

Here are some pix of my invisible Shield.

u think your pictures are big enough? loll
    I couldn't figure out how to make them any larger than that. Sorry.
    I grabbed a set of 3 from verizon, they pretty much suck, but work. Been looking at the invisible shield... Was gunna wait till I see one in person but since vasekvi's pics, I'm sold. Ordering now.
    and oh yeah, I see from the reflection your using a digital cam to take the pic.... Did you hit the setting to 'macro' for close up shots?
    and this is a thread about 'should I put a protective cover on it or risk it' and wax is mentioned.... And it's a good idea. Lol
    Last edited by toyotast165; 08/19/2010 at 12:37 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by toyotast165 View Post
    I grabbed a set of 3 from verizon, they pretty much suck, but work. Been looking at the invisible shield... Was gunna wait till I see one in person but since vasekvi's pics, I'm sold. Ordering now.
    Who is going to install yours?
    Quote Originally Posted by vasekvi View Post
    Who is going to install yours?
    lol I am, no bubbles on any of the 3 I had, had a touchscreen die, lost a phone in the 'driveway'/yard, then this phone which I've had since jan I believe the speaker died the other day while on speakerphone when my buddy's dog barked into the phone... He lost his mic lol
    I went and bought a more expensive screen protector, one that came with a spray bottle that I hoped would solve this bubble problem. I put it on and it resulted in less bubbles, and all of them much smaller. But in trying to squeegee those out I found this new protector could mark on the outside.
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    Screen Protectors are teh suck. Had an invisishield for 4-5 months. After I removed it, it was yellowed and gross. I forgot how easy it was to use gestures without a screen protector and the screen was more vibrant.

In short, don't do it.
    Bell Pre- running 2.1 @ 800MHz
    Samsung Galaxy Tab (stock)
    Get a Skinomi, I placed one on mine before I even used the phone. After about 12 hours any bubbles and distortion disappears and the clarity of the screen and the overall look of the phone is amazing. One other thing, follow the instructions to the letter and you want go wrong. Remember to squeege the water from the middle to the edges being careful no to get any water in the ear and voice ports.
    i got some screen protectors off ebay for cheap EforCity is the name of the seller and to me u can barely notice it as far as swiping and gesturing are concerned. had a few bubbles(put it on myself) but used a card and got rid of them
    THE CHAMP IS HERE!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast