Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Dummies like me, that is! I've tried searching and searching and now, yes, you guessed it, another dreaded Touchstone-in-the-car thread. Sorry about that folks, but I'm getting desperate!

O.K., after reading multiple threads and several hours of posts, I'm still confused and don't know what to do to get a simple (read that again--"simple"!) AND SAFE Touchstone set up in my car.

The question is: What charger(s) will work with a Touchstone in your average car/truck etc. without extensive modifications?! You know, plug n' play with only minor adjustments to cables or the car etc. (Yes, I've read the "Touchstone - List of Working 3rd Party Power Adapters" thread, but the list is a year old, seems to be contradicted by others, and it isn't clear that each device is SAFE.)

PLEASE DON'T POST if:

*You have not tried the setup you are recommending for an extended period of time and can be sure nothing gets fried etc.
    *You have a setup that required lots of varied devices, parts, modifications and a whole afternoon to get it up and running.
    *Your setup costs an arm and a leg.
    *You are simply going to link to another thread (unless you can point to a specific post that lays it all out FOR DUMMIES style).
    *You're not sure the product is generally available.
    *You don't have patience for DUMMIES like me!

PLEASE NOTE: this is NOT meant as a slam against any other threads or members who are likely much smarter than me when it comes to this stuff. It's meant to get a simple answer, period. Please trust I've spent a lot of time researching this on the forums and...my brain hurts.

Thank you.
    I was actually looking for a thread like this, something simple and straight to the point. Maybe we can edit the first post when we've collated the necessary steps?

I have no setup to share, but from what I've read before, generally you would need:

• USB car charger with at least 1A rating
    • microUSB cable
    • Touchstone

Experts, please chime in
    Like many things, most of the troubles people have had with this are the result of people trying to beat the system and save a few bucks.

1. Buy a spare touchstone puck.
    2. Buy something to mount it on if you don't have a good spot in your particular car. There wasn't a good spot in my corolla, so I bought a proclip (bracket only) to mount the touchstone on.
    3. Buy a Palm brand car charger. It comes with the right cable.
    4. Mount your touchstone.
    5. Plug the Palm car charger into the cigarette ligher or "accessory" port in your car.
    6. Plug the other end into your touchstone.
    7. Put your phone on the touchstone.
    8. Win.

I really tried hard to stretch this out to 10 steps, but I just couldn't come up with any. If you want to get creative, you could run some extra wires and install an extra cig lighter socket up under the dashboard and have all the wires hidden, but that's purely for looks.
    Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb65 View Post
    It is as if you said that the result a dog and a cat mating was a giraffe. It's so completely wrong, that it's difficult to argue with someone who believes it to be true.
    I'll opt to splice and install a second cigarette lighter port though

And maybe install the TS upside down but cover it up with a self-made sticker like so:

I have had excellent results using the following items from Ebay:

TTCHG-2: 4.5' Car Charger for TomTom GO 530 630 730 930

Motorola Mini USB to Micro Adapter Converter charger C7

After many drives running Navigation, Music player and Pandora I can report NO charging bounce messages using the 2A car charger that I got from Ebay. The charger is for a standalone GPS and has a Mini-USB connector which I adapted to a Micro-USB.

Folks - this set up is 100% reliable in my 2007 Civic using the main cigarette lighter jack.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    I am using all Palm-branded parts. They are smaller and fit well, so I always recommend that others start with Palm stuff. Lately they are so cheap that there isn't much savings to try alternatives.
    Run your ad here... reach thousands daily...

...Now accepting orders for my upcoming iHandle™.
    Reserve yours today!
    Quote Originally Posted by Furuboru View Post
    I was actually looking for a thread like this, something simple and straight to the point. Maybe we can edit the first post when we've collated the necessary steps?

I have no setup to share, but from what I've read before, generally you would need:

• USB car charger with at least 1A rating
    • microUSB cable
    • Touchstone

Experts, please chime in
    You have stated the correct answer. That is exactly what you need. I'm not trying to be flippant. The Palm car adapter works. The Verizon adapter currently being sold with the puck for $9.99 works (although it has a huge and annoying red light).

I found when buying cheap aftermarket stuff, it rarely supported the 1A requirement. I also found that the small end of the cable was often too big to fit the opening in the puck.

I found the Palm stuff to be so cheap and well engineered (by far the least obtrusive lighter plug, and with a removable USB cable) so I don't know why others look at aftermarket options.

It may be that the Palm stuff was too expensive in the beginning (when the puck was over $50) or there may be other considerations, but for me, the 100% Palm solution is excellent, and cheap.

Also, I use a removable Proclip so my phone stays cool sitting in front of an air conditioner vent.
    PS, I have another spare puck that I carry for use in rental cars. The tacky bottom sticks well, and it can be cleaned to help it remain sticky. I did that for quite awhile to be sure the magnet was strong enough before I spent the money on ProClip, which is very expensive.
    The problem you might have (and I had) is that what works for one person might not work for the other.

I bought a Palm brand 12v charger rated at 1A, hooked it to the TS and it would "bing-bong" every time I hit the breaks or indicated. Why? Who knows....my car is relatively cheap (Nissan Altima) so perhaps cheap automobiles don't work as well?

I bought a PSP 12v charger from HK and modified it to output 1.2A...problem solved.

Good luck.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    Also, remember not just any micro-USB cable will do, the pins have to be shorted or missing to support 1AMP, correct? Also, the cars don't always output 1AMP, so the stone may cycle on and off, according to some reports.

Now, how about the non-lighter solution? How do we safely hook up our touchstones to the actual 12v battery, and will this kill my Toyota?
    KA1
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Prism/Digital Link->Treo 650->Treo 700p->Pre->GSM Unlocked Pre 2 (wifi only)->FrankenPre + Touchpad 32 ->+ Touchpad 4G ATT + ATT Pre3 + 64 White Touchpad... bliss.
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    You have stated the correct answer. That is exactly what you need. I'm not trying to be flippant. The Palm car adapter works. The Verizon adapter currently being sold with the puck for $9.99 works (although it has a huge and annoying red light).

I found when buying cheap aftermarket stuff, it rarely supported the 1A requirement. I also found that the small end of the cable was often too big to fit the opening in the puck.

I found the Palm stuff to be so cheap and well engineered (by far the least obtrusive lighter plug, and with a removable USB cable) so I don't know why others look at aftermarket options.

It may be that the Palm stuff was too expensive in the beginning (when the puck was over $50) or there may be other considerations, but for me, the 100% Palm solution is excellent, and cheap.

Also, I use a removable Proclip so my phone stays cool sitting in front of an air conditioner vent.
    You're absolutely right, palm accessories are dirt cheap now. On ebay you can get bundles of stuff under 20 bucks in some cases. Why try to reinvent the wheel with stuff that may or may not work.
    Also, I use a removable Proclip so my phone stays cool sitting in front of an air conditioner vent.[/QUOTE]

I gather with this clip you don't use the TS?
    Quote Originally Posted by blackbriar511 View Post

I gather with this clip you don't use the TS?[/QUOTE]

Actually, I have the touchstone attached to the Proclip, right next to my GPS.

Reserve yours today!
    Quote Originally Posted by ka1 View Post
    Also, remember not just any micro-USB cable will do, the pins have to be shorted or missing to support 1AMP, correct? Also, the cars don't always output 1AMP, so the stone may cycle on and off, according to some reports.

Now, how about the non-lighter solution? How do we safely hook up our touchstones to the actual 12v battery, and will this kill my Toyota?
    No it can be any micro-usb cable technically, the difference is in the charger itself. The Palm charger, VZW charger, and other chargers are USB quick charge compliant (quick charge is what puts the voltage to the 2 middle wires that tells the TS puck that the charger is compliant and *SHOULD* be able to put out the proper rating, this is what effectively lets the TS know it can *turn on*.

As far as hooking up a 5v device directly to 12v, you will fry the 5v device (the TS), and possibly create a fire/other issues.
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    thnx for all the info, sure will help when i try and install on in my own car! :P
    Quote Originally Posted by blackbriar511 View Post
    I gather with this clip you don't use the TS?
    Actually, I have the touchstone attached to the Proclip, right next to my GPS.

Just to clarify, ProClip is a 2-part mounting solution. You buy a car specific bracket, and a phone specific holder. The phone holder is mounted to the bracket. If you want to use a touchstone in your car, but don't have any good flat surfaces to mount your touchstone on, you can buy the car specific portion of a ProClip and mount your touchstone on that.
    It is as if you said that the result a dog and a cat mating was a giraffe. It's so completely wrong, that it's difficult to argue with someone who believes it to be true.
    Just to clarify, ProClip is a 2-part mounting solution. You buy a car specific bracket, and a phone specific holder. The phone holder is mounted to the bracket. If you want to use a touchstone in your car, but don't have any good flat surfaces to mount your touchstone on, you can buy the car specific portion of a ProClip and mount your touchstone on that.
    That's the simple and inexpensive way to do it, requiring only one Proclip part.

I actually made it into more than two parts. I have the car mount. On that I have the move clip. On that I have an extender so I can mount two devices, each of those has a move clip. That way I can mount a single device, both devices, and on either side. So I had to buy 5 things from ProClip, 6 if you count the custom connector for my Garmin GPS. Here is a good illustration of where I got the idea from:

PS, I made it removable using the ProClip "move clip" as pictured here. This isn't my post, but it's where I got the idea:

http://forums.precentral.net/attachm...e-100_2643.jpg

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...s-here-34.html

Reserve yours today!
    Global Posts
    834 Global Posts
    Be careful with some of the cheap 3rd party chargers. I had one that I'd used previously with another phone, microusb, but when plugged into the PRE, while it did say charging (and I verified that it did charge some), the phone would freak out while plugged into it. If I tried to do stuff on screen it would do lots of random things at high speed, and I couldn't close any cards.

The minute I unplugged it all returned to normal. Verified this twice, tossed that charger and didn't try again.
    verizon still selling ts and charger bundle for $9.99. charger specific for ts and works perfectly in my cars. try it.
  20.    #20  
    Thanks for posting!

Special thanks to OldSkoolVWLover for clarifying in this and the Verizon Bundle thread:

No it can be any micro-usb cable technically, the difference is in the charger itself. The Palm charger, VZW charger, and other chargers are USB quick charge compliant (quick charge is what puts the voltage to the 2 middle wires that tells the TS puck that the charger is compliant and *SHOULD* be able to put out the proper rating, this is what effectively lets the TS know it can *turn on*.
    Was happy, happy to read that as I had just received my VZW bundles. I took the VZW charger and TS puck out for a spin yesterday and today and all seems to be working fine! COOL!

Now, this next part is a bit embarrassing: I now see why those other guys started to get fancy with the TX mounting, i.e., I'm starting to get tempted to take it to the next level. For now, I'll just be happy with having the TS sit cockeyed near my gear shift etc. because not having to plug the Pre in is so frickin' great!

Ironically, battery life since updating to 1.4.5 is much better, so I don't need to charge as much. Go figure....
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast