Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    I keep videos on my phone handy for that
    i don't think all lighter ports are as consistent and smooth as others.
    Run your ad here... reach thousands daily...

...Now accepting orders for my upcoming iHandle™.
    Reserve yours today!
    When ordering the TS/car charger bundle from Verizon (still on sale for $9.99), use coupon code "freeovernt" at checkout for free overnight shipping.
    Global Posts
    373 Global Posts
    I wish the placement wasn't so sensitive to actually charge. If I forget to slide it down when placing it, it won't charge even though it registered the touchstone connection
    Quote Originally Posted by tfleming View Post
    When ordering the TS/car charger bundle from Verizon (still on sale for $9.99), use coupon code "freeovernt" at checkout for free overnight shipping.
    unless something has changed, the shipping has been free overnight since I originally posted the thread, without entering a coupon code
    great stuff thanks, now i just need to find a way to do this on my motorbike superglue maybe?
    I can tell you all from experience that the all-Palm-branded setup will work in some cars and not in others. I originally had a touchstone installed in my 2008 Scion xB using the Palm Pre car charger, cable and touchstone. Sometimes it would work fine, other times it would give me the charge-dance. I wound up buying a Duracell power inverter and plugging the Palm-branded wall canister in which worked perfectly. Recently, I bought a 2010 Mustang and went back to the Palm Pre car charger + touchstone config and it works perfectly 100% of the time.
    So, I have been through (most) all of the threads, but I haven't quite found an answer to this question.

Will a touchstone work in a vehicle, if used with a small power inverter? I have an inverter that puts out 120 on the AC side, and 5V DC @ 500mA on the USB side. Will either of these work to power the touchstone and a Pixi Plus? I would check myself, but my Pixi won't be back until tomorrow evening.

BTW: This setup will be in a '96 Ford F-150 that has NO problem supplying power to the power outlet.

Thanks in advance!
    ooooor... you could just buy a $5 car charger that works with the Touchstone..

Amazon.com: Sprint Original Car Charger for Palm Treo Pre Pro 800w 850 Pixi: Electronics

just sayin.
    Quote Originally Posted by sw9181 View Post
    I have an inverter that puts out 120 on the AC side, and 5V DC @ 500mA on the USB side.
    This is the worst possible way to do it.

the 500mA on the USB will NOT power a touchstone. That much is extremely well established, and discussed in just about every thread on the topic. The touchstone absolutely positively will NOT function reliably on 500mA. It needs 1000mA a.k.a. 1 full amp.

The 120v AC may or may not work. While it puts out 120v, it is also extremely inefficient. A good quality inverter, if plugged into a car electrical system with enough power to the cigarette lighter, will power the AC charger for your phone. A cheap one will not. Even if it does work, you're using one big brick to convert DC to AC, and then plugging a smaller brick into it to convert it back to DC. That's just silly.

Go get a Palm branded car charger, the Sprint branded car charger, or any one of the dozens of chargers that are well known to work, and you'll be just fine unless your car's electrical system can't support it. (which is probably not an issue unless you drive a metro)
    Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb65 View Post
    It is as if you said that the result a dog and a cat mating was a giraffe. It's so completely wrong, that it's difficult to argue with someone who believes it to be true.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234