Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    I haven't been able to get a touchstone working in either my 2004 Hyundai Sante Fe or 2010 VW Jetta. The touchstone and cable work fine in the home. I've tried two different touchstones/cables in the car. I get nothing in either car. The charger I am using is the one Verizon is currently selling bundled with a touchstone for $9.99. The phone does charge using this charger when attached to the micro usb charging port on the pre; however, it won't work with the touchstone/cable into the usb slot on the car charger.

a) is the verizon charger not going to cut it? sure would be convenient to charge two devices at once (seems odd they would bundle the touchstone with a charger that wouldn't work.

b) if it's the car am I just out of luck period and I should give up?

Thank you.
    I finally got my car set up the way I want. I have the following items:

- Scosche IUH2 Universal Accessory Holder
    - Toucstone charger
    - Motorola MicroUSB Fast Rate Car Charger (950mAh), which I may replace with a Palm branded Charger

I had the Motorola charger from when I made the mistake of trying out a Backflip. I have not noticed any charger bounce, but interestingly enough, my bedside touchstone has done the charger bounce number with all Palm parts. Rebooting the phone for some reason always seems to work and make the bounce go away.

Setting up the touchstone with a vent clip. All I used was the back of the Scosche Holder and sticky taped it to my touchstone. I removed the touchstone sticky material and used sticky tape that didn't have that soft foam layer in between. It is actually the tape that we use at Fry's Electronics to hold cellphone display models to the display cord.

I had to shave the mounting of the holder down flat so I could sticky tape it to the touchstone

Sticky Taped!

Installed on vent

On the road

very nice. i did something similar using a ProClip mounting system.
    Run your ad here... reach thousands daily...

...Now accepting orders for my upcoming iHandle™.
    Reserve yours today!
    Oh and it probably helps that I have a decent battery too...

Global Posts
    541 Global Posts
    buy a Ford Escape Hybrid, which has a 110V household plug right in the center console by shifter.

Plug in household Touchstone charger setup.

Buzz through town at better than 40mpg listening to all the Pandora you want via the Bluetooth connection from your Palm!

When you brake, you get more juice for the battery that powers the hybrid system, not less!

Ok - I am a bit enthusiastic about my stuff.....
  6.    #46  
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay View Post
    How can I confirm that I have the correct/newer Palm car charger meant specifically for the Pre? The box of the car charger I have, lists the following:
    Compatible Product: Palm Pre, Treo Pre and Centro Smartphones
    SKU: 3453WW
    UPC: 8 05931 03838 8
    Both numbers are identical to what is listed on the HP website under accesories for the Palm Pre.

PS: I am getting the feeling that the culprit might be the electrical system of the car (Toyota Corolla).

PS: I live in India, thus getting the Verizon charger bundle or another Palm car charger are not really an option in the near term.
    Sanjay,

If you eventually discover it's not the car and you think the Verizon charger is the right choice, let me know and I'll buy another bundle and send you the charger. You pay shipping.
    Quote Originally Posted by lware14 View Post
    I haven't been able to get a touchstone working in either my 2004 Hyundai Sante Fe or 2010 VW Jetta. The touchstone and cable work fine in the home. I've tried two different touchstones/cables in the car. I get nothing in either car. The charger I am using is the one Verizon is currently selling bundled with a touchstone for $9.99. The phone does charge using this charger when attached to the micro usb charging port on the pre; however, it won't work with the touchstone/cable into the usb slot on the car charger.

a) is the verizon charger not going to cut it? sure would be convenient to charge two devices at once (seems odd they would bundle the touchstone with a charger that wouldn't work.

b) if it's the car am I just out of luck period and I should give up?

Thank you.
    The only way the VZW charger is going to work with the TS is if you use the cable that is hardwired to the VZW charger with the TS, if you look back at the last page or 2 you can see where this was extensively tested. Finally Pre posted detailed results of what should be expected to work.

The additional USB port will not charge with a TS in any configuration (to this point). My guess is that port is not quick charge compatible.
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    As has been suggested in this thread, I bought a ProClip mounting device (just the piece that attaches to the car, not the phone half) and attached it to my 2003 Civic. Then I stuck the TS to it and plugged it in. Here are my experiences:

1. It works pretty much as advertised, so the bottom line is, it's cool.
    2. The first day I tried to use this setup (about 12 hours after mounting the TS), the TS started to fall off. I applied some pressure for a few minutes and it hasn't come off in the two days since.
    3. I have Mode Switcher configured to start my "home" profile when the Pre's on a TS and in range of my home wi-fi. I have to figure out a way for MS to know not to start that profile when I'm about to pull out of my garage and I put the Pre on the TS in the car.
    4. The 12V cable kind of gets in the way. I'd love to wire something under the dash and just have it come out near the TS, but I don't know how hard that is. That would also free up my 12V jack for something else.
    5. If I try to plug in the AUX cable from my stereo to my Pre when the Pre's already on the TS, the magnet isn't strong enough to hold the phone steady against the pressure of inserting the 1/8" plug, and I push it right off. The solutions I've thought of are a) insert the AUX cable before putting the Pre on the TS; b) gerryrig some lip underneath the TS that stops the phone from moving down when moderate downward pressure is applied; or c) get a radio that supports the Bluetooth A2DP profile so I won't need a cable.

If you have any questions about my setup, or advice about how to address some of the issues I've countered, feel free to respond!
    @vasekvi

what department do you work in. Precentral members should by looking for you when they are shopping.
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    The only way the VZW charger is going to work with the TS is if you use the cable that is hardwired to the VZW charger with the TS, if you look back at the last page or 2 you can see where this was extensively tested. Finally Pre posted detailed results of what should be expected to work.

The additional USB port will not charge with a TS in any configuration (to this point). My guess is that port is not quick charge compatible.
    Thanks! I managed to figure it out myself this morning just before your post I should have read more closely as well here! So now I'm good on the TS in the car. For someone reason I had thought that this cable would allow charging two devices (palm devices) at once. That would be good for me since we're a two Palm family. Now I'll go back and reread about mounting options! Thanks again.
    you could charge a second device, just not on a touchstone. You could plug it in to usb jack on second phone, etc.
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    you could charge a second device, just not on a touchstone. You could plug it in to usb jack on second phone, etc.
    Thanks I'll try that. Not thinking it all through, clearly!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zahid View Post
    The first day I tried to use this setup (about 12 hours after mounting the TS), the TS started to fall off. I applied some pressure for a few minutes and it hasn't come off in the two days since.
    It will come off again.

It's been so long since I originally set this up, that I forgot about this. The sticky back of the touchstone is really meant to keep it from sliding around on a desk, and isn't good for much more than that. I'd strongly recommend that you at LEAST put some double stick tape in between. You could go as far as removing the sticky from the back of the puck, sanding the proclip, and attaching it permanently with epoxy. I actually went a step further than that, and used an epoxy putty so I could mold it into a wedge and have my touchstone at just the right angle without any moving parts.
    Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb65 View Post
    It is as if you said that the result a dog and a cat mating was a giraffe. It's so completely wrong, that it's difficult to argue with someone who believes it to be true.
    I removes the sticky foam and replaced it with industrial strength two-sided tape.
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    I removes the sticky foam and replaced it with industrial strength two-sided tape.
    Not that I've done this with a TS, but I HIGHLY recommend the 3M double sided tape. The stuff with the red plastic backing, I have used it for all kinds of thing and it works wonders!
    that's the stuff I have at home. The tape is a clear and stocks awesome. I just used some yesterday to reattach my bluetooth stereo control panel.
    Quote Originally Posted by vasekvi View Post
    that's the stuff I have at home. The tape is a clear and stocks awesome. I just used some yesterday to reattach my bluetooth stereo control panel.
    What department do you work in? P|C members should be looking you up when they are shopping.
    Run your ad here... reach thousands daily...

...Now accepting orders for my upcoming iHandle™.
    Reserve yours today!
    Telecom! All I do all day is show my Pre off to people and try to get them to get an ATT or VZW webOS phone. And when I get asked if we have the iPhone I simply tell them that we do not sell defective products.
    I hope you carry a touchstone with you so they can see how amazing that is
    Verizon had a bundle sale on the touchstone/car charer. I bought one and i use both in my car "plug and play" with no problems. charger in my CLC and i just stuck the touchstone on my middle consol w/ its own self adhesive and it stays. No mods no nothing, so i dont know why yall are having problems.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast