Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    definitely check out ProClip. Defenitely makes a slick install and doesn't damage your dash. They also have a version that attaches to your console. If you just attached the puck directly to the base unit, you could do it for less than $30.
    Quote Originally Posted by Furuboru View Post
    I'll opt to splice and install a second cigarette lighter port though
    I have used the Palm, Sprint and Verizon charger for the Pre. All 3 have worked ok. There was an issue every now and then with the Palm branded one. The sprint and Verizon ones both have a second USB charging slot on them. I know for a fact that the Sprint one in my wifes car will power the touchstone and an ipod at the same time. I have also found in my vehicle that the Verizon charger will charge both my Pre on TS and my blue-ant blue tooth unit. Or two Pres at the same time. I did test this.

As was mentioned before the Verizon deal for a TS and 12 cig cord with the second USB slot it still only @10.00 with FREE over night shipping on the Verizon website under packages. You can purchase up to 3 at the same time as I did. They came with the price tags still on them TS-49.99, 12v cord - 29.99. And still all 3 cost me only 30.00 total.
    Sprint: 2-TouchPad 32g, Frank.-Pre-2, Pre-, MiFi & 1-LG Lotus with Xlink tied to home handsets. Backups: 650 & 700wx

HP Please release the CDMA Pre3 phones!
    We want them!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Finally Pre View Post
    I have also found in my vehicle that the Verizon charger will charge both my Pre on TS and my blue-ant blue tooth unit. Or two Pres at the same time. I did test this.
    Just want to clarify, when you were charging the 2 Pre's, was one or both plugged in? Or were both on TS? Just want to clarify because if you got two touchstones working I will need to test in other cars (only attempted the 2 TS charge in one of our 4 cars).
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    Just want to clarify, when you were charging the 2 Pre's, was one or both plugged in? Or were both on TS? Just want to clarify because if you got two touchstones working I will need to test in other cars (only attempted the 2 TS charge in one of our 4 cars).
    I have forgot which setup with which charger. I will try both in the MINI Cooper tomarrow. And let you know. I may have done it in my truck which has dual batteries of 1600 amps. So the car only having around a 600 amp battery system and smaller alt. Would be the best worst case with A/C and radio running with 2 TS's.
    Last edited by Finally Pre; 08/20/2010 at 09:00 PM.
    Sprint: 2-TouchPad 32g, Frank.-Pre-2, Pre-, MiFi & 1-LG Lotus with Xlink tied to home handsets. Backups: 650 & 700wx

We want them!!!
    I got the combo from Verizon (car charger and touchstone) for 9.99 when they had it on sale. Works great for me so I'd say that the Verizon charger will work for ya.
    Buying the combo available at VerizonWireless.com ($9.99 for the TouchStone and car charger) was all it took for me to get this working in my 1999 Jeep Cherokee. I had attempted to use the TouchStone with an old car charger that had a USB port on it, and even though it stated it had an output of 5V, 1.0A, it didn't activate the TouchStone, probably because of the incompatible contacts mentioned before. I can say for sure that the combination above worked on my vehicle, without any intermittent issues like a repetitive charging chime. I'm quite happy.
  7.    #27  
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by VeeDubb65 View Post
    Just to clarify, ProClip is a 2-part mounting solution. You buy a car specific bracket, and a phone specific holder. The phone holder is mounted to the bracket. If you want to use a touchstone in your car, but don't have any good flat surfaces to mount your touchstone on, you can buy the car specific portion of a ProClip and mount your touchstone on that.
    That's the simple and inexpensive way to do it, requiring only one Proclip part.

I actually made it into more than two parts. I have the car mount. On that I have the move clip. On that I have an extender so I can mount two devices, each of those has a move clip. That way I can mount a single device, both devices, and on either side. So I had to buy 5 things from ProClip, 6 if you count the custom connector for my Garmin GPS. Here is a good illustration of where I got the idea from:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    PS, I made it removable using the ProClip "move clip" as pictured here. This isn't my post, but it's where I got the idea:

http://forums.precentral.net/attachm...e-100_2643.jpg

Palm Pre using a Touchstone mounted in your car? Post your pictures here!

Right now, I'm looking for a new car (actually, a new used car...), so I don't think I'll try this just yet; that way, I can get the right Proclip bracket etc.
    Update:
    Here is what I have come up with.

Sprint brand dual 5v 1a lighter cord powers:
    2 Pre phones directly and does charge.
    1 TS with Pre and 1 Pre directly with Palm brand "silver tabs" USB cord also works.

Fail- 2 TS with 2 Pre's

Fail- 2 TS with 2 Pre's

These test were done in our MINI Cooper with a typical battery / alternator system with car running and not running. Same results in both cases.

The same test was done in my Dodge Ram with 1600 amp dual batteries and modified high output alternator. My hope was that the regulator in the cig cords was not of high quality and the dual TS would work. But it still did not and that would lead me to believe that the USB output is not wired the same or has lower output. The USB output would not even power one TS while nothing was plugged on the standard wired output cord.

An additional note:

A while ago I posted that a Palm brand A/C charger will not power 2 TS's at the same time also. I made custom cables and used Palm only parts. It would only power one TS at a time on either of the plug ends. My hope with that project was to "y" the Palm A/C plug to two TS on the night stands in the bed room.

Let me know if you would like anything else tested or if you have any other ideas. I have many extra parts to try it out.

We want them!!!
    Thanks, good to know you are getting the same results we got in the one car so I don't have to go test all the others now. =)
    I've just tried to use my Touchstone inside my car. I do nothing special and it works fine.
  11.    #31  
    FYI: Just posted photos of my new TS charger in the car setup in the http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...s-here-37.html thread.

Was able to come up with a cheap, no-mod but stable solution; might work for you if you own a similar old jalopy.................
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    The Palm car adapter works.

I found the Palm stuff to be so cheap and well engineered (by far the least obtrusive lighter plug, and with a removable USB cable) so I don't know why others look at aftermarket options.
    Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb65 View Post
    Like many things, most of the troubles people have had with this are the result of people trying to beat the system and save a few bucks.

1. Buy a spare touchstone puck.
    2. Buy something to mount it on if you don't have a good spot in your particular car. There wasn't a good spot in my corolla, so I bought a proclip (bracket only) to mount the touchstone on.
    3. Buy a Palm brand car charger. It comes with the right cable.
    4. Mount your touchstone.
    5. Plug the Palm car charger into the cigarette ligher or "accessory" port in your car.
    6. Plug the other end into your touchstone.
    7. Put your phone on the touchstone.
    8. Win.
    I did not try and save on a few bucks and did exactly as suggested by you, ie:

1. Bought a spare touchstone.
    2. Bought a Palm car charger.
    3. Plugged the Palm car charger into the cigarette ligher socket in my car.
    4. Plugged the Palm bundled cable with one ned into the charger and the other end into the touchstone.
    5. Put the phone on the touchstone.
    6. But NO "win".

The touchstone cycles on and off at random intervals. Sometimes the touchstone will charge for a long time without recycling and sometimes it will recycle in very short intervals. Bottom line is that the Palm cigarette charger adapter does not work, atleast for me.
  14.    #34  
    Don't know about the Palm charger, but the Verizon charger in the bundle special is only $10 and you get another Touchstone puck with it, so maybe chick the Palm charger and try the Verizon version?

Good luck!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay View Post
    The touchstone cycles on and off at random intervals. Sometimes the touchstone will charge for a long time without recycling and sometimes it will recycle in very short intervals. Bottom line is that the Palm cigarette charger adapter does not work, atleast for me.
    Well, the Palm charger DOES work, so the issue is you. The tricky part is narrowing it down from there. It could be that the puck you got is simply defective. There is a well known issue with a certain percentage of touchstone pucks that behave exactly as you described no matter what. Try plugging your touchstone into the wall charger that came with your Pre and seeing if it works there.

Next, just because it's a Palm charger, it's entirely possible that it's the wrong charger. It needs to be the newer Palm charger that is actually sold for the Pre and has a full 1 amp output. There is an older version that looks the same, and will charge the Pre if directly connected, but was made for an older palm device and won't charge via the touchstone.

The last possibility is that your car's electrical system is simply not up to snuff for touchstone charging. If you drive a 4 cylinder economy car, this is entirely possible. This can be solved (sometimes) by using a more efficient charger, or wiring a charger into a different circuit in your car.
    It is as if you said that the result a dog and a cat mating was a giraffe. It's so completely wrong, that it's difficult to argue with someone who believes it to be true.
    Well, the Palm charger DOES work, so the issue is you. The tricky part is narrowing it down from there. It could be that the puck you got is simply defective. There is a well known issue with a certain percentage of touchstone pucks that behave exactly as you described no matter what. Try plugging your touchstone into the wall charger that came with your Pre and seeing if it works there.

Next, just because it's a Palm charger, it's entirely possible that it's the wrong charger. It needs to be the newer Palm charger that is actually sold for the Pre and has a full 1 amp output. There is an older version that looks the same, and will charge the Pre if directly connected, but was made for an older palm device and won't charge via the touchstone.

The last possibility is that your car's electrical system is simply not up to snuff for touchstone charging. If you drive a 4 cylinder economy car, this is entirely possible. This can be solved (sometimes) by using a more efficient charger, or wiring a charger into a different circuit in your car.
    It is also possible ths issue is not the Car, or the setup in the car. Check this thread about the cycling issue.
    Life moves fast, don't miss a thing!
    I did not try and save on a few bucks and did exactly as suggested by you, ie:

1. Bought a spare touchstone.
    2. Bought a Palm car charger.
    3. Plugged the Palm car charger into the cigarette ligher socket in my car.
    4. Plugged the Palm bundled cable with one ned into the charger and the other end into the touchstone.
    5. Put the phone on the touchstone.
    6. But NO "win".

Quick troubleshooting. First thing to do is use that TS in the house let the phone charge to 100% and stay on the TS for at least 30 minutes. If all works there, then odds are it is the power supply coming from your cars cig lighter.
    Thanks everybody for your responses, but the problem is definately not with the phone or the touchstone or the cable. I say this after extensive troubleshooting using four different touchstones, four different cables, three different wall chargers and one car charger. One of the touchstones is definately bad, since it constantly keeps recycling on/off charging, regardless of which cable or charger I use either at home or in the car. But the other three touchstones have no such problems when used at home with any of the four cables and any of the three wall chargers. In the car on the other hand, all three touchstones have the recycling on/off charge problem and this is with all four cables. Thus the problem is definately with the power supply coming from the car charger. Now whether it is the actual car charger, which I bought specifically for the Palm Pre from Radio Shack for $14, that is at fault or it is the car's electrical system which is the culprit, I don't know. By the way, what does the engine capacity have to do with the electrical system? Is that not a function of the battery instead?

PS: I live in India, thus getting the Verizon charger bundle or another Palm car charger are not really an option in the near term.
    Last edited by Sanjay; 08/30/2010 at 12:43 PM.
    How can I confirm that I have the correct/newer Palm car charger meant specifically for the Pre? The box of the car charger I have, lists the following:
    Compatible Product: Palm Pre, Treo Pre and Centro Smartphones
    SKU: 3453WW
    UPC: 8 05931 03838 8
    Both numbers are identical to what is listed on the HP website under accesories for the Palm Pre.

PS: I am getting the feeling that the culprit might be the electrical system of the car (Toyota Corolla).
    By the way, what does the engine capacity have to do with the electrical system? Is that not a function of the battery instead?
    Your battery should only be used for initial starting and maintaining power to devices while the car is not running (say saved radio settings, priming the fuel pump, etc).

When your car is running and all things are functioning properly, the alternator should be providing all electrical power for all functions of the car.

At that point, there are a few factors that could technically limit the physical cig lighter sockets ability to provide proper power for the TS to function properly. The most basic of this would be the alternator not putting out enough power to consistently and properly power everything that needs to be powered. Then there are variations of the wiring, quality of wire, quality of cig lighter, how much load is on the specific circuit, etc. The TS is known to have some issues with some cig lighters, or other power sources even if every other part used is compliant.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast