• Seidio 1350 but don't know how to read "full40"

4 2.45%
  • I needed to press that button

68 41.72%
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #101  
    Quote Originally Posted by jp99 View Post
    You probably figured it out, but 2300 is just 1150 * 2. They just ganged two regular batteries together. If they really had 1350, they would be able to sell a 2700, not just a 2600 (1350 * 2).
    Clever thinking ;-)
    Global Posts
    519 Global Posts
    I considered that they'd have coupled two 1150's to make 2600 but wasn't sure. Ok. Nevermind complaint about 2600 but complaint about 1150 bait and switch lie on 1350 rating stands.

I PM'd you about finding Dr. Battery. I don't see it in P|C Feed on Preware.

HA HA HA HA!!!!! My music is going to get even heavier than that on stage when I get more stacks. ROCK N ROLL FOREVER!!! LOL!!! Favorite app is Guitar Tuner. LOL!!! Most of the music is mid tempo. I just make some tunes for the speed metal freaks out there. a little variety for the head bangers. ;-)
    Last edited by Dark_Blu; 09/01/2010 at 10:53 AM.
    "And miles to go before I sleep..."
    Guitarist/Composer/Founder- Metal band-"DARK BLU"
    http://www.reverbnation.com/darkblu
    Question 1:

do we have a process to complain to Siedio and a legitimate complaint? I'm still trying to confirm in my mind that they ripped me off by wrapping an 1150 cell in a 1350 label, etc. I'd love to see a concise statement of what I should tell them that can't be refuted by their customer service script.

I switched to my stock battery yesterday, and my already declining battery life seemed to get even worse. The two have almost the same full value, so it's possible I just imagined battery life being different between the two.

Question 2:

I'm asking is whether I actually have a 1350 that had the wrong value put in to the chip, or whether that value was put in there by some factory calculation.

I just don't understand batteries and electricity well enough, probably because it sounds like math to me - and that all sounds like greek.

I got the Battery Doctor app, but it seems to want to do a full discharge cycle so I will have to do that overnight. Once I do that, will it be able to calculate an actual capacity, or just tell the battery it can hold more so the palm charger will keep pumping juice?

Can anyone clarify these things for me? Thanks!
    Run your ad here... reach thousands daily...

...Now accepting orders for my upcoming iHandle™.
    Reserve yours today!
  4.    #104  
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    Question 2:

I'm asking is whether I actually have a 1350 that had the wrong value put in to the chip, or whether that value was put in there by some factory calculation.

I just don't understand batteries and electricity well enough, probably because it sounds like math to me - and that all sounds like greek.

I got the Battery Doctor app, but it seems to want to do a full discharge cycle so I will have to do that overnight. Once I do that, will it be able to calculate an actual capacity, or just tell the battery it can hold more so the palm charger will keep pumping juice?

Can anyone clarify these things for me? Thanks!
    I thought that was clearly written. Sorry a blame my english for it:
    As NuttyBunny once wrote: It measures when the battery is empty 0% and when it's full 100% and set the Health (age) accordantly.

So the theory is: After recalibrating the battery knows exactly what capacity it can hold and reports remaining life correctly to the device.

Dr.Battery has 3 scenes:
    1. Actual: not so interesting.
    2. Health: shows you the actual total capacity the battery is thinking to have.
    3. Calibrate: calibrate the thing to get the real values as described above.

From the Manual: EDIT: The manual of the chip inside the battery
    Code:
    Full capacity estimation based on the learn function is more accurate 
    than the cycle-count-based estimation. The learn function reflects the current 
    performance of the cell. Cycle count based estimation is an approximation 
    derived from the manufacturer’s recommendation for a typical cell.
    And:
    Code:
    Since Li+ cells exhibit charge efficiencies near unity, the charge 
    delivered to a Li+ cell from a known empty point to a known full point is a 
    dependable measure of the cell capacity. A continuous charge from empty to 
    full results in a learn cycle. First, the active empty point must be detected. 
    The learn flag (LEARNF) is set at this point. Then, once charging starts, the 
    charge must continue uninterrupted until the battery is charged to full. Upon 
    detecting full, LEARNF is cleared, the charge to full (CHGTF) flag is set, and 
    the age scalar (AS) is adjusted according to the learned capacity of the 
    cell.
    Last edited by somline; 09/03/2010 at 03:42 AM.
    I sent the following email to wsrma@seidio.com hoping that they will address the issue for all of us with out of warranty 1150mAh batteries. Thanks to Xanadu73 for his original email text. I'll let everyone know when I get a response.

I purchased a Seidio 1350mAh battery for my Palm Pre and recently discovered that the battery I received was never capable of more than 1150mAh.

I have proven this battery to either be designed faulty or is a relabeled 1150mAh battery. The full value in the EEPROM memory block at register 6A and 6B from the integrated Fuel Gauge IC Dallas Semiconductor MAXIM DS2784 reports 1150mAh. Your engineering staff can verify this value is set by the manufacturer (which is you) and cannot be changed by the user. The value my battery reports is NOT the rated capacity at which the battery is marketed and sold.

Many people have posted to the PreCentral forums with the same issue.
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ll-1350-a.html

What can you do to restore our trust in Seidio products? Many of us purchased our batteries with excitement when the product was first released and so are outside the standard warranty period.

Product No: BASI13PMX3
    Purchased: 8/26/2009 from Amazon.com
    S/N: 9330XXXX
    Receipt Attached
  6.    #106  
    Quote Originally Posted by casonbang View Post
    I sent the following email to wsrma@seidio.com hoping that they will address the issue for all of us with out of warranty 1150mAh batteries. Thanks to Xanadu73 for his original email text. I'll let everyone know when I get a response.
    I really wish you good luck. Finger crossed.

One thing is not true:
    ...Your engineering staff can verify this value is set by the manufacturer (which is you) and cannot be changed by the user...
    The value can be changed and this function will be available in the next Dr.Battery.
    EDIT: No we will not include this function in Dr.Battery because it maybe insecure.
    Last edited by somline; 09/08/2010 at 09:48 AM.
    Seidio doesn't care to even explain themselves. Perhaps The Consumerist will get their attention or at the very least spread the word about Seidio's questionable practices.

Dear Customer:
    Unfortunately, Seidio products are warranted against defective materials or workmanship for 180 days from date of purchase. Replacement product does not extend original warranty. Therefore, your order has passed the warranty period. We sincerely apologize that we can not grant you the request of a replacement. Please visit our online store for more selections.
    If we can be of further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact Seidio Customer Service at 832-204-1118. Thank you.

Kind regards,

Seidio RMA Department
    How much work do you have left on the next version of Dr Battery? Do you think that changing the manufacturer rating really has a chance of helping battery life? I'd like to try it before emailing The Consumerist.
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    How much work do you have left on the next version of Dr Battery? Do you think that changing the manufacturer rating really has a chance of helping battery life? I'd like to try it before emailing The Consumerist.
    casonbang, are you comfortable with entering commands into your Pre with a terminal program? (Terminal is available in Preware) We can give you the commands to change it from there.
    Last edited by jp99; 09/08/2010 at 04:36 AM. Reason: typo
  9.    #109  
    Seidio doesn't care to even explain themselves. Perhaps The Consumerist will get their attention or at the very least spread the word about Seidio's questionable practices.

Hi casonbang,

we decided to NOT enable the changing of the MFR with Dr.Battery. We don't know what side affects that may have. Please follow jp99's advice to use the command line.
    We can guide you through, if you're unsure.

We saw the problems some members have using the app. We don't think it's a good idea to give them simple excess to such (maybe) dangerous function.

EDIT: It would only could help the battery if you have 100% health and the calibration fails always at say 90% because of the overcharge protection of WebOS.
    As of now I haven't seen such case.
    EDIT: Correction: Function is included but will need some "secret" code you have to ask fore.
    Last edited by somline; 09/22/2010 at 11:43 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by somline View Post
    What I have read, they all are 2300.
    Now I understand why there was a small tube of petroleum jelly packed with the battery.
  11.    #111  
    Found some interesting battery test at android central : BatteryBoss Calls Out False Capacity Claims!
    AS you can see there almost every battery has less than the Manufacturer Rating.
    Seems to be "normal" in the battery business.
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Blu View Post
    Ok.

Getfull is 2300, so the Seidio 2600 mAh battery I bought is below it's rated capacity at 100%. Purchased from Pre|Central store. Not going to bother with return/exchange. just won't buy Seidio again as there are too many instances of extended batteries below rating. Thank for this thread. Very informative.
    I am with you. I bought mine many months ago so I am not going to pursue Seido (not that they would stand up anyway), plus I have reset the manuf capacity to 2600 which it should have been. Right now I would have no proof to go back to Seido.

But, I won't buy another. I am currently at 2184 so I am thinking of a Mugen 1400 and go back to the original thickness, hmmmm.

PS, should change the thread title to "ATTENTION: Don't buy a Seidio Innocell battery"
    Last edited by djmcgee; 09/22/2010 at 05:46 AM.
    Dan
  13.    #113  
    Quote Originally Posted by djmcgee View Post
    PS, should change the thread title to "ATTENTION: Don't buy a Seidio Innocell battery"
    If you read the page I just posted BatteryBoss Calls Out False Capacity Claims! I should rename it to ATTENTION: Don't believe in "extended" batteries
    Re: batteryboss link -

They didn't test any batteries for Pre or Pixi?

My Mugen 1400 has performed pretty well, but my OEM Pre battery is so bad that I'm considering getting another spare battery. Would be nice to know what the best option is.
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
  15.    #115  
    Quote Originally Posted by jjeffcoat View Post
    Re: batteryboss link -

They didn't test any batteries for Pre or Pixi?

My Mugen 1400 has performed pretty well, but my OEM Pre battery is so bad that I'm considering getting another spare battery. Would be nice to know what the best option is.
    You're right, no palm battery. But I think you can copy the result to all 3' party batteries?
    For the best option you may ask sipple31 about his decision.
    So he likes the Mugen also, thanks!

Quick question: what is the difference between mA and mAh ?
    My device history:

- Jim J.

17.    #117  
    So he likes the Mugen also, thanks!

Quick question: what is the difference between mA and mAh ?
    Oh thats not so easy for me to do in english.
    mA is the juice at the moment EDIT: Or the juice something needs in a certain state. e.g. Your pre may need 50mA when at sleep.
    mAh is how much something needs or can spend per hour.
    e.g. If your pre need 50mA at sleep and your battery can give 1000mAh your pre can run in sleep 20 hours.

1000mAh/50mA = 20 hours.
    Last edited by somline; 09/22/2010 at 10:57 AM.
    Think I understand - one is "milliamps" and one is "milliamps per hour" ?
    My device history:

- Jim J.

19.    #119  
    Think I understand - one is "milliamps" and one is "milliamps per hour" ?
    Oh you have ask about the shortcuts. Sorry yes that's correct.
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    No, mAh is milliamp hours, and it's the multiplication of a current drain and time. It's a capacity of a battery, in a sense. Using the term "per" implies a division, not multiplication. A mA per hour would describe a drain rate from the battery.

Sounds like a minor point, but a capacity and a drain rate are two different things.

mA is a current (milliamps).
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast