1.    #1  
    My wife just received her MediaGate iKit-II car mount. This is a great little device for iPod/iPhone. In addition to having a plug for the proprietary iPod port, it also has a 3.5mm male to male headphone style jack that can be plugged into an FM transmitter, so as to transmit sound through your car's speakers. It also has a USB port, through which you can charge your phone. The whole thing sits in a cigarette lighter, and has a power connection to run the FM transmitter and to power the USB port. It has a gooseneck mount, and swivels to vertical or horizontal orientations. It is supposed to allow hands free phone use of (I guess) any smartphone, but certainly an iPhone, with incoming audio going through the cars speakers, and outgoing audio through the phone's mic and on to the person on the other end. Oh, and the device is clamped in by a padded vice.

I was intrigued, and tried my Palm Pre Plus in it. The device did fit, and was held fairly snugly by the vice. I extended the keyboard so that the power port was accessible while locked in. Using my Palm OEM USB cable I was able to get the phone charging. Using the 3.5mm jack, I was able to play music through the car speakers. The final test was the use of the phone. I called my wife a few times with the set up. I could hear her beautifully through the car speakers, but she couldn't hear me, not matter how close I was to the phone, nor how loudly I yelled. Checking the lower left corner of the phone app, I saw that the phone thought it was in headset mode, so I figure it turned off the built-in mic. This is interesting, because earlier today I used a regular pair of earphones (not the set that came with the Pre; a set without a mic) and had no problems hearing sound through the earphones, and still being able to speak into the built-in mic with good reception on the other end.

I don't know what's going on, but I'm itching to get this car mount. It works beautifully, with the one exception of not being able to use the built-in mic while audio is run through the car speakers (switching to speakerphone mode works fine, by the way, but of course the incoming audio then goes through the Pre's speaker, rather than the car speakers). Has anybody made this work with their Pre? Could there be a work-around or patch to keep that mic active?

Mark
    The best car mount by far is the Touchstone. Coupled with an A2DP/HFP deck, there are absolutely no wires going to the device. You just plop in down to charge. Streaming audio works great, hands free bluetooth works great, and you don't even need to put it on the Touchstone to work if you are lazy (at a great cost to battery life though).
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    The best car mount by far is the Touchstone. Coupled with an A2DP/HFP deck, there are absolutely no wires going to the device. You just plop in down to charge. Streaming audio works great, hands free bluetooth works great, and you don't even need to put it on the Touchstone to work if you are lazy (at a great cost to battery life though).
    +1

I have a touchstone mounted to a "ProClip" mounting bracket in my car and connected wirelessly to my BT deck.

The only thing I haven't done yet is install a power socket under the dash and re-route the cable through the dash to there's no wires at all. Not a tough project, just not a high priority so I haven't gotten around to it.

This really is a VASTLY superior setup compared to what the OP is talking about. FM transmitter + charging cable = a whole lot of messy wires all over the place, not to mention the inconvenience of plugging in and turning on everything, and fussing with the slider.

In a lot of cars, you can easily ditch the Pro-Clip, although it was a lot easier for me to use one than to mount anywhere else. Also, an A2DP desk is not that expensive. You can get a base model for $250 without even shopping around or looking for a sale.
    Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb65 View Post
    It is as if you said that the result a dog and a cat mating was a giraffe. It's so completely wrong, that it's difficult to argue with someone who believes it to be true.
    Interesting and by the way..be wary of Amazon.

I did a quick search to checkout this device and found a knockoff "OkiDoki" brand designed to walk, talk, and look like the Medigate iKit-II, but it doesn't come close in performance. Was all excited when I saw the price, but checkout the reviews yourself.

http://www.amazon.com/Transmitter-Charger-Apple-Ipod-Nano/dp/B001F0NO3E/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_t

Sorli...
    I use one of these. Coupled with the Palm Charger and Belkin Tunecast II hidden in the armrest with 6 inches of cables exposed, it's awesome and the "Handsfree" calling through the car speakers is perfect (with "headset" mode active) It's the 3.5mm cable that may be causing the issue.

Mobile Dock-iT Universal Cup Holder Mount | Bracketron
    100% agree. Touchstone is the best car mount. See my photos in the other thread. I don't have an a2dp deck but the blackberry gateway is flawless. No wires, now and forever.
    Quote Originally Posted by VickMackey View Post
    100% agree. Touchstone is the best car mount. See my photos in the other thread. I don't have an a2dp deck but the blackberry gateway is flawless. No wires, now and forever.
    Your install is clean. I am with everyone else on the touchstone + BT.

I will be using a setup similar to Vick, but I am going to be rocking an Audiovox BT receiver (no BT in one of our cars and don't want to buy a new deck). The audiovox unit has a display for caller ID and has the ability to skip tracks, and built in mic. So it is going to be mounted on top of my steering column wires hidden. For BT phone capabilities too.

Once that is all squared away I will also be doing a hidden cig lighter for the touchstone charging abilities (I have a good spot for this in my center console so I don't have to go under the steering column like some have done).
    100% agree. Touchstone is the best car mount.
    I concur, no touchstone, no bueno.