Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Just wanted to get people's opinions on which is the better case, from what i can tell they both offer good protection, so what it comes down to is how much added bulk there is, how easy it is to get to buttons etc, do they fix oreo, or make oreo worse? and any other general opinions.
  2. rpr
    Global Posts
    216 Global Posts
    I have the AGF case, no experience with the Otterbox case, but here is my take:

- the added bulk is noticeable, but not excessive
    - the non-touchstone back is thinner than the one with the touchstone cutout
    - the volume buttons are easy enough to access, I had issues with the power button so I shaved the case a bit to make it easier
    - it definitely helps with oreo, but now the case itself has a *tiny* bit of slop, but way less than the phone itself
    - the usb plug is accessible, but pretty much only if you open the slider. If you have it plugged in, you can't slide it closed. If you are careful, you can open the USB cover, slide the phone closed, and then plug it in, but it's finicky.

I bought the extra front cover so now both my wife and I have the case, and I cut open the solid back for my phone to make it work on the touchstone. I'd say we are both pleased and have no complaints.
    Pilot 1000 -> Palm Pro -> Palm III -> Handspring Visor -> Palm V -> Palm TX -> Palm LifeDrive -> Kyocera 6035 -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Palm Pre
  3.    #3  
    if you take off the case, is the oreo on the phone itself worse or the same as when you put it on?
    Same as before. The GRT case is great, prevents any further oreo. Plus if you need to take the case off it can be done in seconds. I highly recommend this case.
    I have noticed that the GRT case, when I took it off, made the oreo effect slightly worse, but that was with a phone with no noticeable oreo to begin with. All I did was push in on the four corners and slide the case open and shut a couple of times, and that fixed it.

I also cannot use my hip holster (generic) with the touchstone back on. But all that being said, the GRT case is a GREAT case! It definitely protects the phone and doesn't oreo!
    Has anyone dropped their GRT case yet?

I've used and used and reviewed 3 Palm Pre cases (Rocketfish, Otterbox Tandem, and BodyGlove) and the only unit to survive the 3 foot drop was the Otterbox Tandem Series.

Please note
    , I dropped all of these cases with my Pre by accident and not intentionally, so if you have not dropped yours with the GRT yet by mistake or otherwise, please do not try this just to fill my curiosity. Dropping a Palm Pre with a GRT will happen in time and thankfully the three cases I referenced previous have all protected my Pre, but the Otterbox was the only one that survived with all tabs intact and case and phone unscathed.

Thanks for feedback, Sorli...
    Last edited by sorli; 08/03/2010 at 10:51 AM.
  7. rpr
    Global Posts
    216 Global Posts
    I have dropped my phone numerous times with the GRT case, no problems so far. It usually slips out of my pocket and to the ground when I am in the car.
    Pilot 1000 -> Palm Pro -> Palm III -> Handspring Visor -> Palm V -> Palm TX -> Palm LifeDrive -> Kyocera 6035 -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Palm Pre
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Fisack23 View Post
    I have noticed that the GRT case, when I took it off, made the oreo effect slightly worse, but that was with a phone with no noticeable oreo to begin with. All I did was push in on the four corners and slide the case open and shut a couple of times, and that fixed it.

I also cannot use my hip holster (generic) with the touchstone back on. But all that being said, the GRT case is a GREAT case! It definitely protects the phone and doesn't oreo!
    can you elaborate on the pushing in on four corners thing?
  9. viv
    I've dropped my phone with the GRT case several times as well. The front and back parts of the case flies open and splits into two pieces but the phone is fine (so far at least).
    +1 GRT case.
    No oreo effect.
    Easy touchstone alignment.
    Protection from a fall (small nick in the corner of the case).
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    Quote Originally Posted by kel101 View Post
    can you elaborate on the pushing in on four corners thing?
    Follow the directions on this link - http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...fications.html

I find it tightens things up pretty well for a couple of weeks (unless you're really hard on your phone!)

I have also dropped my Pre with a GRT case, and it has no ill effects. My daughter dropped hers, also, and it broke one of the side rails on the case, but the case still works (and the phone is fine). It's still under warranty, so I will let you know if they replace it free.
  12.    #12  
    with all this grt case praise.. i guess thats the one i will get, anyone know if they sell it with just the regular back, i dont need the touchstone one, plus it will make it cheaper to buy.
    Quote Originally Posted by kel101 View Post
    with all this grt case praise.. i guess thats the one i will get, anyone know if they sell it with just the regular back, i dont need the touchstone one, plus it will make it cheaper to buy.
    If you dont mind the chrome and blue, you can get it cheaper from AT&T

AG Findings Blue/Chrome GRT Slider Case - Palm - Cell Phone Accessories - Wireless from AT&T
    Will if you don't plan to use Touchstone...you may want to take a solid look at the Otterbox Tandem Series for the Pre. My unit is rock solid, it costs less, and comes default in Black. Sorli...
    Touchstone or no, I say AGF all the way. It adds a bit of girth to the Pre, but in actuality it looks much classier.. I've had a lot of people ask me about my phone since I've had the AGF case on it. If you buy from AT&T you get both Touchstone and full backs along with the chrome and blue fronts so you've got the bases covered.

I had a Seidio Innocase previously and I've learned my lesson with the "tabbed" cases that clip on to the Pre itself. The Otter Box might be a more rugged design than Seidio, but it still stresses the Pre's slider by inserting the tabs in between. Plus, who wants to have a giant OTTER BOX logo printed on the back of the phone
  16.    #16  
    hmm..now i just need to pick a colour
    Bought 2 GRT covers from VZW store: wife dropped her new Pre + in a GRT off the sofa onto carpeted floor and the front face split in the top corner- phone was undamaged tho'. Weird as short distance and soft landing.

I also had to take back mine twice as slider was very stiff and almost impossible to open- better now with replacement.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by allstarkenyan View Post
    Bought 2 GRT covers from VZW store: wife dropped her new Pre + in a GRT off the sofa onto carpeted floor and the front face split in the top corner- phone was undamaged tho'. Weird as short distance and soft landing.

I also had to take back mine twice as slider was very stiff and almost impossible to open- better now with replacement.
    hmm sounds like an isolated incident, no one above has had similar problems
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    Actually, the same thing happened to mine a couple of nights ago. I was going up heavily carpeted stairs and dropped my Verizon Pre Plus (wearing the agf grt case with chrome cover). I dropped the phone about 2 feet onto carpeted stairs and the top corner split. The case didn't even come off, but I did get the split. Right now I'm using the blue front (much prefer the smoky chrome one that broke).

I thought I read somewhere that AGF was going to start selling the fronts separately. Is this true?

By the way, the one that broke was from ATT. Today I bought one from Verizon and it seems to be bulkier and the slider is so tight that it's very hard to slide up the screen. Also, on the Verizon one the touchstone cutout does not go completely though the back, so it isn't a complete hole like the ATT one and doesn't stay on the Touchstone nearly as solidly. I'm going to take back the Verizon one. I like ATT's version much more.

JD
    Last edited by SceneThat; 08/06/2010 at 07:34 PM. Reason: To add the "By the way"
    Anyone know where to find the GRT on mainland Europe (or UK for that matter)?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast